Smoking Area's | Inside Universal Forums

Smoking Area's

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 12, 2013
Hollywood
Ok this subject may be kind of touchy with people but as a smoker this does affect me. About 3 years ago we had 4 smoking areas inside the park for Designated smoking, these 4 areas were out of the way Edge of Coak Soak, side of wild west arean/ infront of animal actors, Lowerlot Under starway to the right, and to the left of Tram tour entrance/left of Restrooms. When attending the park during jan 2013 I was told there was only 1 smoking area in the a park (Under Starway) and outside of the park closer to parking lot. This might make most of you happy but as someone who likes to have a cig in the middle of the day at the theme park i dont want to have to take a 15 min journey to have one.

Current map

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/site-content/uploads/2012/12/USH_Park_Map_Jan-June_2013_English.pdf

This is definitely a touchy subject. Personally, I'm happy if there is just one smoking area in the park. The less there are, the less the smoke affects nearby areas or guests. Because lets me honest, the smoke doesn't stay within the boundaries of the smoking area, it can travel. So the less of that, the better. My opinion of course.

Reactions: MaynardPt
It is unfortunate to have only one smoking area in the park, and it's also unfortunate that the construction surrounding WIld West/Terminator took away the only spots on the upper lot.

You might want to offer a suggestion to Guest Services, because I can understand your frustration. I'm not a smoker myself, but Universal should offer more convenient areas - especially if you're willing to abide by the rules.

I just think management doesn't really think about this, so your suggestion should be able to send them a nudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id rather people smoke in designated areas then wonder the park smoking becuase they cant find an area. I will bring it up in my next visit. I know currently that the area that used to be Designated are now under construction but something small up stair would be nice. The only area that i can think of is next to Fast and Furious picture cars past VIP restuarant.

It's iffy for me... I'm a non-smoker and very very sensitive to the smoke, so I like not having many areas. At the same time I appreciate when people follow the rules and I have no problem with smoking sections existing in the park. The issue is - as always - space. I'm with Jon, try talking to someone about it. That area by T2 / Fast and the Furious probably is the only area where they don't mind smoking on the upper lot at the moment. 

I will say that having 4 smoking areas in a park that small is/was remarkable - at Disneyland we only have 3 in the entire park. (Tomorrowland in between Innoventions and Autopia in the corridor leading to the train station, in the middle of the Fantasyland/Frontierland bridge connector, and down on a little pathway and dock in New Orleans Square.)

So when construction is done, if they go back to 4 areas, we'll be doing better than Disneyland for once.

I'm super sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I honestly like there being less of it....Anytime i passed the old ones at USH or the ones at DL or especially DCA, it totally ruins the moment from me. I don't wanna go to the park and smell all that...

As I expected I on my last trip to USH I saw people trying to smoke in secluded area so as not to upset other park goers. I glad to see at least the slight politeness by moving away from major crowds. I dont see a problem but im sure others will. USH is always been a family park with an adult attitude. With a full bar and multiple "adult beverage" stations(Beer/tequila) I don't see why they shouldn't allow for more smoking areas. Im expecting 1 or 2 to re open after construction but i dout it. We may get one back by T2/Minion area(even after it becomes a child friendly area and more so. LOL). Also to anyone who may know does USO having smoking areas? I was looking over the downloaded map and couldnt find any. Maybe its not like cali and smoking is allowed anywhere? or they may just not be on the map. DCA shows 3, Magic Kingdom shows 5 smoking areas.

Universal Orlando does have smoking areas, as listed on their site:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Policies-and-Restrictions.aspx

In accordance with Florida Amendment 6, all restaurants and bars that serve food are smoke free areas. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas.

There are currently 13 smoking areas at Universal's Islands of Adventure® and 12 at Universal Studios® for our guest's convenience. All other areas outside of these designated smoking areas are smoke free.
I'm surprised Hollywood has been unresponsive about this. They're usually pretty accommodating about this and other guest needs, but who knows.

Guessing we need to wait post-construction to see if they have any additional plans.

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
Thanks for that info. Holly crap 13 and 12 WOW but I do understand because their park are a lot larger. USO/IOA is the only park that does not show Smoking areas on the downloadable maps. USH, DLR, WDW all show them. I will voice my concern again next time I go. I dout Universal Plaza will have a smoking area as it will be the centralized area of the park now.

They should at the very least have one for each lot. Im sensitive to smoke as well but it's rude of the park to ask smokers to go down 4 huge escalators to have a cigarette.

^ I don't think it's rude. Smoking is a hazardous luxury and isn't a requirement. USH can get away with not having ANY. Good for USH :p
I do think it's rude. Remember, we have a lot of international guests from around the world that have different norms regarding smoking. You may not agree with the habit, but at least respect those that try to follow park rules. Hell, I get pretty annoyed having to walk across the park to use the restroom. Can't imagine what it would be like if I needed a smoke.

I remember getting eating utensils outside of Doc Brown's about a week ago, when a guest went up to a janitor next to me asking where the nearest smoking area was. She explained to him how due to the construction, there was only one available (Lower Lot). He wasn't too happy, but was polite and asked again if that was the only spot. She said she understood how one would want a puff every now and then, but that's the only recommended spot. I personally think they should have at least one in each lot to make the guests happier, but keep it somewhere that guests aren't constantly walking through.

I do think it's rude. Remember, we have a lot of international guests from around the world that have different norms regarding smoking. You may not agree with the habit, but at least respect those that try to follow park rules. Hell, I get pretty annoyed having to walk across the park to use the restroom. Can't imagine what it would be like if I needed a smoke.
Yes, but again, it's not a necessity. Bathrooms are, and I agree it's a pain to walk to find one close enough. America has different customs, and I respect that there are people who smoke, but it's not a necessity, it's a luxury that's a nuisance and a health hazard to others around and personally I think having one is enough, especially when the park is pressed for space. Although I do agree that two locations would be nicer... But hey, that's my opinion :) I don't think its rude. It's Universal's choice. Personally I think Disney's two parks have way too many

At this point the only reason for not having theses areas is the construction. Once that is over will probably see 2 other areas open. 1 possibly after UP is opened. While looking up smoking in theme parks I came across Lagoon Park which calls there smoking areas "Sit and Smoke Stations" now that sounds so relaxing

LOL. http://www.lagoonpark.com/images/common/LagoonParkMap_download.pdf

I also came upon many others with that didnt like smoking in the park but what can i say "I like to have a smoke while enjoying my day at a theme park". Besides we are all adult and if i can make the effort to go to a smoking area I'd think people who dont like smoking could make it an effort to stay away from those smoking area's. I think that  sound like a happy resolution.

If anything Universal needs to put in extra money to create some smoking areas that are further from general audiences and those who are sensitive to smoke.

Jon great point.

I remember walking through the walkway between the Matterhorn and Finding Nemo covering my nose and mouth all the time. The scent travels all the way down, and it's unbearable for guests trying to pass through. Putting it in a secluded area would greatly enhance the chances of happier guests.  :)

They should put a temp one in the corner by Despicable me and the Hollywood globe theater. You know where the temp black rails are and you can see the front entrance. 

This is the best place I can think of until Despicable me opens. 

That would probably be a good idea. Nobody ever really goes in that area, except for me and my friends when I drag them in so I can take pictures and marvel at the construction!  :lol: