Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Web Slingers (DCA)

I know it's too late for DCA, but maybe for other parks in the future. Imagine this. What if they made a ride featuring a suspended Kuka arm where the track is above you near the ceiling, the arm is say about 10 feet long which can simulate the pendulum of Spidey swinging side-to-side of buildings down a NY street. The ride could stop for a few moments while Spidey stays clung to the side of a building contemplating his next move. Is there any such ride system currently being used?
You mean like this patent?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...-hints-at-spider-man-style-ride-with.amp.html

Is it really not obvious that they're purposely being vague because they'll be revealing more at D23?
I fully expect it and I think it is obvious. I don't know that it's obvious that it immediately means the attraction will be great, however.

People are interpreting the vagueness as "going out of its way to avoid describing the attraction in an exciting way." The fanboyism here is rampant and it's my job to shut that crap down lol.
Fanboyism? Take a look in the mirror. What's the reason for being so defensive? I love Disney, but do they have a great track record with Marvel rides so far - no. All have been overlays of what is opened or about to open this year. I'm looking forward to GotG and the attractions in the Marvel land out there as they seem to be more unique, but up until now at least, Disney hasn't given people a reason to believe that they'll be overly creative with their Marvel rides so that's why people have trepidation.[/QUOTE]

Fanboyism? Take a look in the mirror. What's the reason for being so defensive?

I just can't stand when people make negative assumptions based by misinterpreting things. I'm not expecting it to be Indiana Jones, but i'm not gonna go out of my way to crap on it 15 months before it opens. That irks me a lot (obviously).

Disney hasn't given people a reason to believe that they'll be overly creative with their Marvel rides so that's why people have trepidation.

Mission Breakout has been getting some of the highest guest satisfaction scores in Disneyland history (between both parks), soo i'm not sure why any fans would have trepidation..

In fact GOTG: MB, is very much so a reason to be excited about ANY Marvel attractions. Regardless of the size of the building, or what new tech is in play. (and remember how much fans crapped on that ride when it was announced?)

Last edited:
I just can't stand when people make negative assumptions based by misinterpreting things. I'm not expecting it to be Indiana Jones, but i'm not gonna go out of my way to crap on it 15 months before it opens. That irks me a lot (obviously).

Mission Breakout has been getting some of the highest guest satisfaction scores in Disneyland history (between both parks), soo i'm not sure why any fans would have trepidation..

In fact GOTG: MB, is very much so a reason to be excited about ANY Marvel attractions. Regardless of the size of the building, or what new tech is in play. (and remember how much fans crapped on that ride when it was announced?)
I agree that Mission Breakout is better than the ToT that you guys had (not better than DHS' imo). It's a fun ride. But an Iron Man ride with a Star Tours simulator? Ant Man & Wasp using Buzz omni-mover system?

My point is, the MCU is huge right now and Disney isn't doing much in the way of innovation from the rides we've seen so far. We'll see how the GotG coaster turns out (i'm more hopeful than most). I feel like the Avengers ride is likely to be the best Disney/Marvel ride (as it should be) based on rumor.

I know I helped in diverting off topic (sorry!), but let's try to stick to Spider-Man and talk about the more broad Marvel Land in the appropriate thread.

I agree the PS4 version far better done than the MCU version and the fanboy-ism is where the real weaknesses lie with.

Back to the attraction... Are we expecting Tom Holland to be involved at all or can Sony block something like that?

Over the course of ~10 years they had 3 different actors play Spiderman. Probably not a good idea to have a specific actor in the attraction.

Over the course of ~10 years they had 3 different actors play Spiderman. Probably not a good idea to have a specific actor in the attraction.

You aren't counting the animated/games into that too.

As Scott said, it would make sense for Holland to be involved in the attraction, regardless if he only does vocal work or is actually did principal photography.

You aren't counting the animated/games into that too.

As Scott said, it would make sense for Holland to be involved in the attraction, regardless if he only does vocal work or is actually did principal photography.

Thinking about this a little more, I don't know what the legalities are with Disney and Sony making a Spider-Man ride and having any kind of live action scenes filmed for it.

If it is live action, do they need Sony's permission and are they allowed to use Tom Holland?

If they can't, they use all CGI, claim it's not part of the MCU and a 'comic' version but never actually tell the public that. They also use a soundalike and you never see Peter Parker, only Spider-Man with his mask on.

Kinda surprised by all of the gloom and doom on this thread. I'm pretty sure this won't be as good as IoA's legendary ride, but to use that as an excuse to crap all over it when we know so little about it right now is kinda ridiculous.

From what I infer from what they have shared about the ride, it sounds like a smaller-scale MM:RR but with interactive elements. It sounds like this could be a decent ride.

BUT if this will be more like Buzz/Antman, then we can crap all over it. That would be a HUGE waste of Spider-man.

It seems like most people forget the one advantage WDI has over Universal which is the ability to use the MCU actors for their rides, obviously it isn't gonna top Spider-Man at IOA but if they were to get Tom Holland on board that'll leave a lot of the general public pretty satisfied

It seems like most people forget the one advantage WDI has over Universal which is the ability to use the MCU actors for their rides, obviously it isn't gonna top Spider-Man at IOA but if they were to get Tom Holland on board that'll leave a lot of the general public pretty satisfied

I do think at the end, the GP is what is going to be most important.

And honestly, even if the attraction is fine compared to IOA; it's still more Spider-Man action for entertainment. Regardless of the feelings, I am glad to see the web-slinger get some more action.

I’m not disagreeing that there’s a ride coming, but nothing about that press release makes me think they’re talking about a ride. Perhaps there are two attractions coming involving spidey: a ride and an interactive game around the land?

Have you guys also considered the idea that since there’s already a really good Spiderman dark ride, why reinvent the wheel and just do one where guests will get to shoot web? I’m sure that’s what they thought. If they just tried to make a “better” Spiderman, it would feel too similar to what’s already been done at IoA.

Have you guys also considered the idea that since there’s already a really good Spiderman dark ride, why reinvent the wheel and just do one where guests will get to shoot web? I’m sure that’s what they thought. If they just tried to make a “better” Spiderman, it would feel too similar to what’s already been done at IoA.
I think IoA's version is almost enough reason to forgo a Spider-Man ride completely in DCA and do one based on a different character. Black Panther could've been really cool to see as a ride, but it doesn't seem like they plan on using Black Panther for a ride in the Marvel area. At least not DCA's Marvel area.

Also, I think setting this land within the MCU will ultimately come back to bite Disney in the butt. Marvel is a brand with so many iconic characters and the rides will live far past the release dates of movies. I just feel like as a theme park land it should be more timeless.

Of course, Disney has so much to work with when it comes to Marvel that they could literally fill a park the size of Disneyland with the amount of content they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney ever builds a third park for them to build another Marvel land. There's just so much to work with.

I think IoA's version is almost enough reason to forgo a Spider-Man ride completely in DCA and do one based on a different character. Black Panther could've been really cool to see as a ride, but it doesn't seem like they plan on using Black Panther for a ride in the Marvel area. At least not DCA's Marvel area.

Also, I think setting this land within the MCU will ultimately come back to bite Disney in the butt. Marvel is a brand with so many iconic characters and the rides will live far past the release dates of movies. I just feel like as a theme park land it should be more timeless.

Of course, Disney has so much to work with when it comes to Marvel that they could literally fill a park the size of Disneyland with the amount of content they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney ever builds a third park for them to build another Marvel land. There's just so much to work with.
Yes. I never thought the idea of using MCU actors was a good idea. Timelessness becomes an issue down the road. Even though many have clamored for MCU at Marvel Island in IOA, I've always been of the opinion that Universal has been smart about staying away from the MCU.

Kinda surprised by all of the gloom and doom on this thread. I'm pretty sure this won't be as good as IoA's legendary ride, but to use that as an excuse to crap all over it when we know so little about it right now is kinda ridiculous.

From what I infer from what they have shared about the ride, it sounds like a smaller-scale MM:RR but with interactive elements. It sounds like this could be a decent ride.

It seems like there are a few dots and no real way to connect them.

The swinging concept sounds great, so does the interactive shooting element ( I love TSMM) but if you're swinging about, does this mean you're Spider-Man and if you are, why are you shooting?

Disney have more than enough ability to pull off a great ride here but whether it will be better than the one at IOA (My personal GOAT), who knows.

What I hope the ride has:

A relatively fresh take for the plot
Not a rehashed ride system (The MCU deserves far better than it has so far)

Yes. I never thought the idea of using MCU actors was a good idea. Timelessness becomes an issue down the road. Even though many have clamored for MCU at Marvel Island in IOA, I've always been of the opinion that Universal has been smart about staying away from the MCU.

I see the point about not using the MCU being timeless but I think the MCU has proved itself to have longevity after 11 years and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon, especially with the Fox acquisition. Disney also has the luxury of being able to film scenes alongside the movies which Universal never had.