Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Late 2024)

Again - Splash Mountain was inspired and set around the South and Georgia.

Princess and the Frog is set in Louisiana - the beginning of the "Frontier". They aren't going to make the mountain turn into New Orleans, and a bayou is certainly fitting in a Western setting - It's just a matter of execution. The concept art doesn't show anything that makes it "not fit" at this time.
I've always wondered what the area around Splash was actually themed too

Right now it's just a pretty mountain to me

I noticed that a handful of users mentioned that one of the benefits of the re-theme is that the attraction has many broken effects, deferred maintenance, and technical issues. The benefit being that these aging elements will be fixed or replaced.

I have only rode the attraction one time(though I am relatively familiar with the ride). I'm wondering if anyone could fill me in on the tech issues and broken effects?

I noticed that a handful of users mentioned that one of the benefits of the re-theme is that the attraction has many broken effects, deferred maintenance, and technical issues. The benefit being that these aging elements will be fixed or replaced.

I have only rode the attraction one time(though I am relatively familiar with the ride). I'm wondering if anyone could fill me in on the tech issues and broken effects?
I mean for starters the AA's on the ride now are all from the 80s besides the Brer Characters and at least at Disneyland most have limited motion for an E ticket ride.
Compare this to what we have seen on little mermaid or the especially the Frozen ride the tech is leagues above what we have now.

Besides some reworking of the colors on the mountain, they buget should all be for new tech in the ride. Most are hoping that "friends on the other side" part is show stopping with the mapping effects we have now. Also things like the end of the ride which is pretty now but could have some added things like the bottles from Mama Odies house and of course the new boat on the tree/fireflies at night should make the attraction really come alive.

I mean for starters the AA's on the ride now are all from the 80s besides the Brer Characters and at least at Disneyland most have limited motion for an E ticket ride.
Compare this to what we have seen on little mermaid or the especially the Frozen ride the tech is leagues above what we have now.

Besides some reworking of the colors on the mountain, they buget should all be for new tech in the ride. Most are hoping that "friends on the other side" part is show stopping with the mapping effects we have now. Also things like the end of the ride which is pretty now but could have some added things like the bottles from Mama Odies house and of course the new boat on the tree/fireflies at night should make the attraction really come alive.
I think having Dr Facilier at the end singing "Friends from the Other Side" would be perfect for the lift hill before the big drop. That scene demands a "dark and foreboding" tone before the drop. My biggest concern is that since this is set after the movie, they won't do this.

Thank you

I think having Dr Facilier at the end singing "Friends from the Other Side" would be perfect for the lift hill before the big drop. That scene demands a "dark and foreboding" tone before the drop. My biggest concern is that since this is set after the movie, they won't do this.
I had the exact same idea at first, but someone I know kinda convinced me that they'd probably go for Other Side in the room before the pitch-black drop instead. The Laughing Place and final drop would become Dig A Little Deeper, culminating in Tiana's belt near the end of the song and dropping you on Mama Odie's "Guaranteed" lyric. It makes the final drop a more cheery and pumped up finale rather than a scary, fearful one. Whether or not it's better that way is up to your personal tastes, but I think it's definitely a bit more modern Disney.

Then you make the finale riverboat scene a big happy Mardi Gras celebration in Nawlins with "Down in New Orleans" playing. All the characters waving to you from the riverboat, beads hanging from giant trees, and Mardi Gras floats passing by on the streets next to you. I think it'd work.

Also they're gonna change the rabbit at the front of the log into a frog. Quote me on that.

Last edited:
Could be wrong but the Frozen ride was also set after the movie yet....pretty much all the characters but Hans show up.

If Disney doesn't put "friends on the other side" somewhere in the ride then I think most fans will be disappointed.
Villains are pretty popular and many the Ursula set/AA seems to be a show stealer in Little Mermaid so...hope they aren't going to miss the chance to have the best animated part of the film on this ride when it would also be "cheaper" considering most of the effects would be mapping on the walls

I'm sure that is exactly what Disney hoped would happen. Putting out the "It's all going away!" narrative generates a sense of urgency for fans (and secondary market folks, unfortunately) to buy up the stuff quickly.

Jim Hill, on the latest Disney Dish episode, gives the impression (whether honestly or not) that he’s been walked-through, scene-by-scene, what the makeover is going to be, and he proceeds to relay what he's heard.

People can listen to it if they're curious, but here's my key takeaway: he says “a few” of the current animatronics will be retained and all but the ride path/system may be, essentially, gutted. That’s concerning to me. If the attraction doesn’t still have AAs in the high double-digits when it opens, my displeasure will be intense. Also, expect "lots" of projection mapping. He's also hearing Splash Mountain will not go down until 2022, with a 2024 - 2025 opening timeframe for PATF. So hurry up and wait!

He also says that, internally, the redo of the auction scene on Pirates is viewed as a big success. Which is a frightening thing if it’s true, because it would suggest they didn’t learn from their writing mistakes there.

Last edited:
Jim Hill, on the latest Disney Dish episode, gives the impression (whether honestly or not) that he’s been walked-through, scene-by-scene, what the makeover is going to be, and he proceeds to relay what he's heard.

People can listen to it if they're curious, but here's my key takeaway: he says “a few” of the current animatronics will be retained and all but the ride path/system may be, essentially, gutted. That’s concerning to me. If the attraction doesn’t still have AAs in the high double-digits when it opens, my displeasure will be intense. Also, expect "lots" of projection mapping. He's also hearing Splash Mountain will not go down until 2022, with a 2024 - 2025 opening timeframe for PATF. So hurry up and wait!

He also says that, internally, the redo of the auction scene on Pirates is viewed as a big success. Which is a frightening thing if it’s true, because it would suggest they didn’t learn from their writing mistakes there.
Not to get too off topic but didn't it?

I mean "fans" on forums complain but now they have Red to market and make money on. While I love ToT, Guardians in general has longer lines so while "fans" can be upset Disneyland keeps doing well money wise and bet while many are upset now this new ride will have lines at night where normally people avoid the ride.

I also have to ask by Projection mapping does he mean like in Alice and Wonderland where there are effects that highlight the Anomatronc on the ride....or like just replacing characters with animated version of a Character

The new dialogue in the Pirates auction scene is, pretty objectively, awful and cringe-worthy. I was hoping Disney might be a little bit self-aware about that.

As for projection mapping, based on the way Hill talks about it, it sounds like several characters will exist purely in the form of projected media.

The new dialogue in the Pirates auction scene is, pretty objectively, awful and cringe-worthy. I was hoping Disney might be a little bit self-aware about that.

As for projection mapping, based on the way Hill talks about it, it sounds like several characters will exist purely in the form of projected media.
If Disney makes money and loses no one over it...to them its a win. I'm not saying I like the changes but to them it's only a mistake if people don't show up/pay them.

This is troubling news if true, but once again will it do anything to their bottom line? But really all this will do is upset "fans" and the general public will just eat it up but for now these are rumors. Lets prey to Walt this was just verson one or something

I'd rather have a few really well done animatronics than a hundred garbage ones that barely move. Do you actually enjoy It's a Small World, or do you just ride it for the history?

Projection mapping is fine for scenes that include the fireflies or the voodoo stuff. I have complete faith in Disney that those scenes will be complete eye candy after seeing what they pulled off in Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. But if they try to use the same tech behind Frozen Ever After's animatronics then I'll be disappointed. I'm hoping for something more in line with Tokyo's Bell animatronic for their Beauty and the Beast ride, but I won't get my hopes up.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a few really well done animatronics than a hundred garbage ones that barely move. Do you actually enjoy It's a Small World, or do you just ride it for the history?

I actually enjoy Small World. For real.

Not all rides need dozens upon dozens of animatronics, but if you're replacing another huge AA showcase like Splash Mountain (after we've already lost several), I'd like to see something of similar scale and ambition in its place, not something has a few cursory figures and then relies on projected media for the rest.

Splash's dark ride scenes are some of the best Imagineering produced. Its replacement has a lot to live up to.

I actually enjoy Small World. For real.

Not all rides need dozens upon dozens of animatronics, but if you're replacing another huge AA showcase like Splash Mountain (after we've already lost several), I'd like to see something of similar scale and ambition in its place, not something has a few cursory figures and then relies on projected media for the rest.

Splash's dark ride scenes are some of the best Imagineering produced. Its replacement has a lot to live up to.
I like Small World for what it is....and Splash is my favorite ride but think the sets and effects are pretty "meh" for an E ticket.
The outside design is wonderful but inside the sets feel...kinda cheap like here are 2D printed out flowers, and the laughing place is them in just a cave kinda.

Think Indy, Pirates, HM, Big Thunder, and Modern day Matterhorn have more sets that feel like places while Splash feels like just characters put out (until the ending scene with the boat)
I'm excited that hopefully they make the sets feel more like area's you could visit and effect wise think if the tunnel going up is Vodoo themed and mixes projection mapping tech and some physical set stuff then would be way more interesting to look at over what we have now.