State of USH - What's Next? | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I understand it’s the location, terrain, and movie studio, but I can’t stand how there’s no where to walk, explore, and breathe at USH, the park is basically a small out-and-back layout. Every other park in SoCal, even SFMM, you can just go and walk around the park, enjoy the sights with roomy walkways, get some laps in, etc. As an AP, I can go to other parks, not ride anything, and have a relaxing time. But at USH I feel like I have to do something because there’s no where to go.

I understand it’s the location, terrain, and movie studio, but I can’t stand how there’s no where to walk, explore, and breathe at USH, the park is basically a small out-and-back layout. Every other park in SoCal, even SFMM, you can just go and walk around the park, enjoy the sights with roomy walkways, get some laps in, etc. As an AP, I can go to other parks, not ride anything, and have a relaxing time. But at USH I feel like I have to do something because there’s no where to go.
Here is hoping if they do start expanding they take that in mind and give us more s[apace with no lands.

I’d largely attribute that to two things: 1) the park was not designed, but organically happened over time (like Knotts), and 2) limited by geography (which Knotts largely isn't, other than size… it’s all flat).

I mean the park is just so small and there is not enough to do. Does anybody know how big the park actually is, acres wise? This is not including the studio backlot, just the parts of the park people can actually access which constitute the actual theme park portion.
I would say like about 80 acres

As @Mad Dog spoke (hi!), I did do something similar; but I figured in light with Hollywood Drift, might as-well do a small update on that, as it will be expanding the "park" foothold by a good bit (and to add SNW).

And as a prefaced warning: I apologize for the length of the post, but I figured this might actually help clear the board (As I know while he was on, @Jonathan did do a status update of the Evolution Plan back in 2017; before he left). If you want a simple answer: I think there are options for growth at USH, but I think the balance of the park/studio dynamic is going to come to play in the next 5 years ahead of 2028; and I do not necessarily think it means the park is going to get big expansion.

Now, with that said!
__

At this current point in time, with the size of Hollywood Drift increasing the park to the hillside near the NBCUniversal Creative Campus and the former Fum Lungs Parking Lot, USH will be at 8,980.10 feet/50.74 acres.
1690000473481.png

This excludes Project 515 (Universal Studios Hollywood's hotel), CityWalk, the parking structures* (*excluding Frankenstein Parking Structure/Valet), and T-Pad Venue (where Killer Klowns was last year, Holidayz is rumored for this year).

Now let's say we includes Universal Studios Hollywood's upcoming hotel, Universal CityWalk, the Parking Structures, and T-Pad Venue, then the size of the area becomes much larger at approximately 10,761.8 feet/94.68 acres.

1690000871823.png

As it stands now, expansion options are limited (And replacement options are also of note).

To get down to brass tax, replacements is a bit simpler to decipher:
  • Revenge of The Mummy (has been consistently rumored in the past, has become our park's Kidzone curse in more ways than one)
  • Parisian Courtyard (Has been rumored in the past to be looked at as a potential Illumination replacement [though at the time when it was posted, nothing seemed to of solidify then]. Might want to look at French Street next to it too, as that could be useful as-well)
  • The Simpsons Ride/Springfield USA (Contract expires in 2028, and as we have seen from the USJ Marvel agreement, they so far seem willing to let the contracts lapse with Disney so-far.)
Additionally, there had been rumored in the past on Studio Tour in general: relocating the tram plaza to the Lower Lot is one, removing it for the sake of a "Premium" version to let the park have more space at the current Tram Plaza is another. At this point, I don't think looking into that is the best thing (and to focus on other avenues).

Alongside that--originally when the Red Sea soundstages were announced, Soundstages 16-24 were originally planned to of been claimed for the park. And as it seems, that might begin to be turning up if HHN has their way of it (Soundstage 19 has apparently been claimed as a potential spot, due to promotional filming for the event occurring in there?).

As it seems, the Red Sea soundstages remaining to be built, have additionally remained to be as part of current conceptual art--so it might be a waiting game to see when that might occur.
__
Assuming if the park can claim Soundstages 16-24, plus the rehearsal hall next to 24; then the property will get a size-boon to get around 10,975 feet/99.42 acres (which would put the park at a respectable 55 acres [Excluding if they'd expand further into the backlot itself]).
1690001558635.png

If I had to through an educated guess, after Hollywood Drift, all eyes will turn to USH preparing infrastructurally for the LA2028 Summer Olympics. This will include the following:
  • P515
  • Enhancements to CityWalk
  • Infrastructure overhaul to help the park and studio's flow.
I don't necessarily think this may lead to an automatic "New addition" to act as the hook for LA2028, simply because USH itself will be "the hook".

Current plans with the IOC have Universal City and the NBC/Universal Lot being the main home of the International Broadcasting Committee. Essentially making it where news outlets and journalists from across the globe will be essentially setting up shop, on the lot (and around the area). I think you take the opportunity to let it sit back, and see guests come for being part of media history.

Last edited:
As @Mad Dog spoke (hi!), I did do something similar; but I figured in light with Hollywood Drift, might as-well do a small update on that, as it will be expanding the "park" foothold by a good bit (and to add SNW).

And as a prefaced warning: I apologize for the length of the post, but I figured this might actually help clear the board (As I know while he was on, @Jonathan did do a status update of the Evolution Plan back in 2017; before he left). If you want a simple answer: I think there are options for growth at USH, but I think the balance of the park/studio dynamic is going to come to play in the next 5 years ahead of 2028; and I do not necessarily think it means the park is going to get big expansion.

Now, with that said!
__

At this current point in time, with the size of Hollywood Drift increasing the park to the hillside near the NBCUniversal Creative Campus and the former Fum Lungs Parking Lot, USH will be at 8,980.10 feet/50.74 acres.
View attachment 19295

This excludes Project 515 (Universal Studios Hollywood's hotel), CityWalk, the parking structures* (*excluding Frankenstein Parking Structure/Valet), and T-Pad Venue (where Killer Klowns was last year, Holidayz is rumored for this year).

Now let's say we includes Universal Studios Hollywood's upcoming hotel, Universal CityWalk, the Parking Structures, and T-Pad Venue, then the size of the area becomes much larger at approximately 10,761.8 feet/94.68 acres.

View attachment 19296

As it stands now, expansion options are limited (And replacement options are also of note).

To get down to brass tax, replacements is a bit simpler to decipher:
  • Revenge of The Mummy (has been consistently rumored in the past, has become our park's Kidzone curse in more ways than one)
  • Parisian Courtyard (Has been rumored in the past to be looked at as a potential Illumination replacement [though at the time when it was posted, nothing seemed to of solidify then]. Might want to look at French Street next to it too, as that could be useful as-well)
  • The Simpsons Ride/Springfield USA (Contract expires in 2028, and as we have seen from the USJ Marvel agreement, they so far seem willing to let the contracts lapse with Disney so-far.)
Additionally, there had been rumored in the past on Studio Tour in general: relocating the tram plaza to the Lower Lot is one, removing it for the sake of a "Premium" version to let the park have more space at the current Tram Plaza is another. At this point, I don't think looking into that is the best thing (and to focus on other avenues).

Alongside that--originally when the Red Sea soundstages were announced, Soundstages 16-24 were originally planned to of been claimed for the park. And as it seems, that might begin to be turning up if HHN has their way of it (Soundstage 19 has apparently been claimed as a potential spot, due to promotional filming for the event occurring in there?).

As it seems, the Red Sea soundstages remaining to be built, have additionally remained to be as part of current conceptual art--so it might be a waiting game to see when that might occur.
__
Assuming if the park can claim Soundstages 16-24, plus the rehearsal hall next to 24; then the property will get a size-boon to get around 10,975 feet/99.42 acres (which would put the park at a respectable 55 acres [Excluding if they'd expand further into the backlot itself]).
View attachment 19297

If I had to through an educated guess, after Hollywood Drift, all eyes will turn to USH preparing infrastructurally for the LA2028 Summer Olympics. This will include the following:
  • P515
  • Enhancements to CityWalk
  • Infrastructure overhaul to help the park and studio's flow.
I don't necessarily think this may lead to an automatic "New addition" to act as the hook for LA2028, simply because USH itself will be "the hook".

Current plans with the IOC have Universal City and the NBC/Universal Lot being the main home of the International Broadcasting Committee. Essentially making it where news outlets and journalists from across the globe will be essentially setting up shop, on the lot (and around the area). I think you take the opportunity to let it sit back, and see guests come for being part of media history.
I see behind stages 16-24 there appears to be some sort of parking deck. Couldn't that get claimed alongside 16-24 for theme park expansion?

I see behind stages 16-24 there appears to be some sort of parking deck. Couldn't that get claimed alongside 16-24 for theme park expansion?
Well they are building a brand new parking garage as part of Universal Campus so I'd assume that might make this possible.

EDIT looks like it's a no based on @AlexanderMBush 's comment. I would add though that 'Life finds a way' if they really want something for Theme Park expansion they could find a way to make it happen.

Well they are building a brand new parking garage as part of Universal Campus so I'd assume that might make this possible.

To elaborate further--and to my understanding, the parking structure and the buildings around that structure specifically are critical to studio needs, even with the Creative Campus. Core elements used in that structure is for behind the camera/on camera, such as signs, lighting rigs, grip holdings, car charging stations for studio executives and more BoH elements.

I would be shocked if it ever becomes as part of the park.

Reactions: Michael S
Another Topic: Regarding the park's app, this goes for Orlando too. It would be neat if you could see the wait-times from the map, without clicking anything, Like DLR and WDW's apps show all the ride times from the map. I would love to see this feature implemented at both USH and UOR instead of scrolling through a long list of rides, especially at UOR.

Another Topic: Regarding the park's app, this goes for Orlando too. It would be neat if you could see the wait-times from the map, without clicking anything, Like DLR and WDW's apps show all the ride times from the map. I would love to see this feature implemented at both USH and UOR instead of scrolling through a long list of rides, especially at UOR.
That would be nice

My brain is so trained at this point. I just use the wait times section and never look at the map

Like it.

They need a serious overhall of their apps anyway, they feel a bit amateur IMO.

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
I'm curious to see whether this happens with EU. How are they going to organize the bespoke interactive experiences at USF and EU in a sensible way?
Don't mean to be negative but I'll be surprised if there are any substantial upgrades for EU - happy to be proved wrong.

I'm hoping the people in charge see what is bringing people to the park and spending more and are shaping the future of the park with those things in mind

Reactions: joerodriguez

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts