Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion) | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don’t wanna be a snobby Orlando theme park person, where they have endless space, but it’s kinda a miracle that USH is even getting this land pre Epic Universe. It’s a smaller park working on expanding to be more of a theme park so some things need to get shoved in.

Also everyone is not mentioning Mario Kart, which will be inside and 100%, completely immersive.

If we are able to see them from the StarWay (in person), then I can’t even imagine how it’ll look even closer within the land. It looks atrocious and super distracting in person around the entrance area by Transformers unfortunately.
That is because you want it to be distracting. Wait til you are inside the land. I don't think the experience is about hillsides. It's about all the other stuff that will be available.

If we are able to see them from the StarWay (in person), then I can’t even imagine how it’ll look even closer within the land. It looks atrocious and super distracting in person around the entrance area by Transformers unfortunately.
If you step into Super Nintendo World and you spend the entire time looking up at the fake hills instead of literally anything else, then that's purely a you problem lol.

Are we not gonna talk about how the city facade for SLoP stops abruptly into a solid blank wall once you turn the corner? No one's gonna squak about that? What about the giant show building being seen for FJ when you're exiting Hippogriff?

Look, I get grids on the backdrops aren't ideal, but stuff isn't going to be perfecrt. I seriously doubt when you walk through that warp pipe, walk out of Peach's castle and see the land in person for the first time, you're going to rage-quit like Bruce Willis forgetting his gold watch seeing the barely noticeable grid pattern on the backdrops.

Once we go into softs, I can guarantee grid patterns on the backdrop is gonna be the last thing that crosses your mind.

Are we not gonna talk about how the city facade for SLoP stops abruptly into a solid blank wall once you turn the corner? No one's gonna squak about that? What about the giant show building being seen for FJ when you're exiting Hippogriff?

Look, I get grids on the backdrops aren't ideal, but stuff isn't going to be perfecrt. I seriously doubt when you walk through that warp pipe, walk out of Peach's castle and see the land in person for the first time, you're going to rage-quit like Bruce Willis forgetting his gold watch seeing the barely noticeable grid pattern on the backdrops.

Once we go into softs, I can guarantee grid patterns on the backdrop is gonna be the last thing that crosses your mind.
People did talk about the facade abruptly stopping for Pets and the FJ show building being visible. This type of recourse isn’t new. It was even talked about for GE at DL with the rockwork steel being visible from the Mark Twain and the Parking structure.

It just sticks out as cheaper quality in an otherwise high quality land.

Reactions: salismetho
People did talk about the facade abruptly stopping for Pets and the FJ show building being visible. This type of recourse isn’t new. It was even talked about for GE at DL with the rockwork steel being visible from the Mark Twain and the Parking structure.

It just sticks out as cheaper quality in an otherwise high quality land.
I think Freak was using sarcasm there...

I think the issue here, if any, is that the unsightly back-side of SNW faces into the park. Most of the other areas mentioned face out of parks so it's less of an issue.

I won't fully be able to understand why they haven't done the same mountains as Japan if they leave them as is. The ones facing Jurassic World would be a nice backdrop if they had Isla Nublar mountains on the JW facing side.

Y’all hitting them Robb Alvey levels of nitpicking
This land will print money, why is it nitpicking to ask for the backstage areas not to be seen from inside the escalator which YOU have to ride to get to the land

As for people upset about Panda Express is still there, you will wish it was gone once you go through the land and its packed. Simpsons land walkway already gets too crowded now imagine that same amount of people but half the space....because they didnt want to take away a boring chain restaurant.

Also with two shows about to leave, the Yoshi ride would be something to help with crowds but no. We just got a smaller land with less things....because if you can name why it was smarter for them to make the most popular lands since Potter even smaller then potter, while Nintendo is riding high with the highest selling consoles and Mario which is not only about to have a movie out but also one of the most popular characters around please go ahead and tell me why it was a better call.

This land will print money, why is it nitpicking to ask for the backstage areas not to be seen from inside the escalator which YOU have to ride to get to the land

Because if we're being honest, very few people will care. Even the people complaining about it will still go to SNW if it doesn't affect your experience inside the land.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth covering or sprucing up to some degree. At the same time, there's no way you can reasonably expect the Lower Lot to have sightlines free of backstage elements considering the angles involved. It's like complaining that you can see AC units on top of Magic Kingdom buildings if you're in a helicopter.

Reactions: Darko and chris.g

That's a stupidly glaring oversight to the fact that you are dealing with a series of structures that go over a hundred feet down from the top of the escalator to the base of the Lower Lot.

Hollywood has had issues with sightlines. Pets being a prime example of that, but the border of where the "false" berm stops from guest view to backstage feels like a new level of nitpicky. Especially from high altitudes like that.

Reactions: Freak
I can't help but be a little critical of some of the drama in this thread, but I'll point out that people are complaining about the looks and assuming that Universal cut due to cost, but there could be multiple reasons for the background hills being different (and I don't think all of these have been mentioned yet):
  • California and Japan have vastly different building codes and structural requirements since California has earthquakes, so flexible freestanding steel was required or that's all they could permit.
  • There could be supply issues that required a change. (Doubtful, since the plans and orders were probably made ahead of time, but it's possible.)
  • It was an intentional aesthetic choice by the designers or architects due to complexity or scope. (Pixelation, anyone?)
  • They could be "temporary" in the sense that they plan to do expansion later and this was a better choice than permanent.
  • They could be planning a fix in short term or long term that's not obvious to us.
  • Universal Hollywood, home of black wallz, wanted to be cheap or reallocate budget elsewhere. (Totally possible, of course.)
We simply don't know why this was done. And it could very well be the result of a designer saying, "This is more expensive than it was in Japan, so I'll make a cut in a place where it doesn't matter so we get things that do matter." I'm simply fine with taking 90% as long as we get it. If the background was a required cut, for whatever reason, it's simply not a huge loss.

I can't help but feel this thread more or less underscores the point that theme park enthusiasts have to find *something* to complain about, unless it's in Japan because Japan theme parks are perfect in every way. :p

I'll be clear in that I don't think it's going to matter as much once your inside the Mushroom Kingdom; because you'll be having effects and figures in the forefront, directing attention from the guests to those figures as opposed to the check-box.

Also, Osaka has Hogwarts Castle in direct line of view when riding Yoshi, and I don't see that commonly talked about. Meanwhile, Hollywood's main sightline notion seems to be more or less simply the Transformers building once your in the land (which could be settled later on; blended in more properly like how Shrek 4D was blended in back in 2016). I just think it's a really dumb and pointless conversation to talk about sightlines from over 100 feet in the air ruining a land.

I'll be clear in that I don't think it's going to matter as much once your inside the Mushroom Kingdom; because you'll be having effects and figures in the forefront, directing attention from the guests to those figures as opposed to the check-box.

Also, Osaka has Hogwarts Castle in direct line of view when riding Yoshi, and I don't see that commonly talked about. Meanwhile, Hollywood's main sightline notion seems to be more or less simply the Transformers building once your in the land (which could be settled later on; blended in more properly like how Shrek 4D was blended in back in 2016). I just think it's a really dumb and pointless conversation to talk about sightlines from over 100 feet in the air ruining a land.
Couldn't agree more.

I just think it's a really dumb and pointless conversation to talk about sightlines from over 100 feet in the air ruining a land.

I agree. Distant sightlines are a obnoxious debate among theme park fans. Like when people complained about being able to see the Cosmic Rewind show building from World Showcase in Epcot. Something like this being visible from a vantage point far outside the land does not impact the guest experience -- unless you're just looking to complain about something.

Now let's get back to the important discussion. Like what's the safest bet to book my next SoCal trip in order to see SNW, even if it's in soft opening.

It’s like this is a discussion board and people can be free to discuss all aspects of this land. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

What’s less conducive to this discussion is dismissing those sharing their criticisms.

Reactions: Nland316