Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

Nintendo is too natural and obvious of a fit for a Kid Zone replacement. My biggest hope is that they don't dumb it down and make it too toddlerish. Nintendo has a mass appeal to people of all generations. Make it "kid friendly", but also don't make it so basic that adults and teens will be turned off.

Example of what not to do with Nintendo:

Hello Kitty & Sesame Street sections of Universal Studios Japan, Bugs Land, etc. No toddler carnival rides, please.

Example of what to do: Fantasyland, Springfield, Toon Town, Toon Lagoon, Cars Land.

Hopefully Joe doesn't see this comment haha

But yea no. MSHI is not going anywhere. It's recieving a much needed makeover in the future. Nintendo is certainly Kidzones replacement
The rumor running around Orlando forums is that MSHI will be updated soon. Apparently rumblings suggest that Disney and Universal are in negotiations to have the MCU exist in IOA. 

It is much more likely that it will take over KidZone in USO. Maybe Toon Lagoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumor running around Orlando forums is that MSHI will be updated soon. Apparently rumblings suggest that Disney and Universal are in negotiations to have the MCU exist in IOA. 

It is much more likely that it will take over KidZone in USO. Maybe Toon Lagoon.
To suggest Nintendo will takeover Marvel Superhero Island is a bit unorthodox considering there is no way Universal will ever replace the theming of their prized gem, Spiderman the Ride. Not only this, with the exception of Storm Force Acceleration, the rides are a bit too "extreme" to overlay as "family" attractions. We also need to remind ourselves that while Disney owns the rights to Marvel, they still must honor previous deals set by Marvel previous of the buyout. The negotiations are more likely to bring Marvel Cinematic Universe to the eastern parks while Universal will still retain the "comic-book" esthetic. If a retheming is in order, more likely Universal will go the genetic route and focus on "action movies" based on their property like Fast and the Furious, but will keep Spiderman as is.

But back to Nintendo, I'm in the same bandwagon that Kidzone and the surrounding attractions will get devoured. My worry, and this extends to USH (if the lower lot extension holds true), is the lack of a true "authentic" E-ticket attraction. Universal has a extraordinary track record of "putting their money where their mouth is" with the help of Comcast. Nintendo however is a property that I feel doesn't demand the next Gringotts or King Kong, and being a family-centric entity the budget may dwindle a bit in comparison. The highest budgeted feature may be a indoor attraction based on Luigi's Mansion, but it pales in comparison to Gringott's budget. Well, we'll see what they come up with in the future.

Does anyone else feel that Nintendo is in better hands with Universal than Disney?   

I believe the only area in Islands that will be completely demolished would be The Lost Continent. it's practically the only original area of the park that hasn't been filled with a known franchise. best place for a legend of zelda area too!

More than just a "rumor" at this point. 

Until they put up construction walls, it's a rumor. It's been gone over before, but MSHI ain't going anywhere. Disney isn't going to pony up $100M+ to make it go away until they have concrete plans of their own for WDW. With Avatar and Star Wars on the way, we're looking at 2020 before they even start thinking about Marvel in WDW.

That said, Universal had the Hulk movie license, which Marvel wanted back. Marvel also wants The Fantastic Four to fail so they can fold them into their ridiculous Universe. So the RUMOR is that Disney went to Uni, hat in hand, to get Hulk and to get rid of Dr Doom. RUMOR also has it that Disney handed over Hulk info, and permission to IOA to upgrade that coaster. But what else will MSHI get for closing one of their rides? It's gotta be something good. Not "creating a new Avengers ride" good, as has been making the rounds. Disney isn't going to approve any E-Ticket in their biggest rival's park. (Personally, I'd give them the theme park rights to the Marvel Netflix shows.) Time will tell...

Now that we know MSHI is set for the future, the four biggest problem areas in Universal Orlando are Toon Lagoon, Lost Continent, San Francisco and KidZone. Toon Lagoon would be the easiest to convert to Nintendo, but it would be the most difficult to clone over to USH. USH doesn't need a new flume and there's just not enough space for a rapids ride.

I said elsewhere that retheming Lost Continent to Zelda would be perfect, but Zelda would be a harder sell than Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc. And Pokemon too. That's a land you create after the original Nintendo Land is a huge hit. And, really, there's no reason they can't pull a Harry Potter and have Nintendo in both parks... And a third one!

San Francisco would be a distinct possibility, IF it wasn't slated for Fast & Furious. The disaster building is almost perfect for that.

Which leaves KidZone, the smallest, scariest land. The temptation would be to create a big, new ride - say, Mario Kart - and fill in the rest with flat rides and/or play areas, a la Springfield in USF or Super Silly Fun Land here. Unless they dump Animal Actors (unlikely) and/or ET, there just isn't going to be a lot of room for ride buildings. And we most certainly will not get an outdoor Mario Kart here. Our only hope is either ET going away or KidZone taking over a portion of the empty lot next to The Simpsons with actual ride buildings and not outside, screamy rides.

I have a feeling most of the rumors for that land will be similar to the rumors for this one, so we all need to keep an ear open for those.

Disney isn't going to approve any E-Ticket in their biggest rival's park. (Personally, I'd give them the theme park rights to the Marvel Netflix shows.) Time will tell...
As mentioned many times before... technically no, Disney cannot shrug off any plan Universal presents to Marvel just to put a stint on Uni's theme park operations. "In developing and implementing THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA will follow and be consistent with The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Style Guide and such other descriptive design/style materials as may be provided by Marvel. This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval. As set forth in Section IV(A)(1)"

Speaking of rumors, guuuys Diagon Alley is coming to Hollywood! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would really love to see revenge of the mummy close down! It should be replaced with a family style ride like the e.t. ride before but this time a Nintendo ride? or a Universal Monsters ride? rather than a ride that appeals mostly to teens like jurassic park and transformers do. A train station for harry potter could possibly go where the panda express currently is.

As mentioned many times before... technically no, Disney cannot shrug off any plan Universal presents to Marvel just to put a stint on Uni's theme park operations.

"In developing and implementing THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA will follow and be consistent with The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Style Guide and such other descriptive design/style materials as may be provided by Marvel. This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval. As set forth in Section IV(A)(1)"

As has ALSO been mentioned MANY times before, Marvel (now Disney) has approval over anything Universal does with the Marvel properties in IOA. (I have actually heard from someone with a source inside UC that the full contract - which isn't online - does limit IOA's ability to create new attractions, but I haven't seen it so it's kind of a friend-of-a-friend situation. The friend is a rumor GOD but I don't know his source so...) They don't have to give explicit permission, but the word "APPROVAL" means they can say "No" a million times, which is basically the same thing as giving permission. Which I'm sure they would totally do for a ride that might drive people to their biggest rival! And how exactly does saying "No" hurt Disney? Doing so delays the project, causes the cost to go up, and possibly derails it completely and the worst that could happen to them is arbitration. ARBITRATION! That's a day in the park for Disney and their gazillion lawyers! These are the people that stole Winnie the Pooh from AA Milne's family! Furthermore they can take a list of reasons why Universal isn't following the contract TO THE LETTER - "The Marvel Universe is getting darker and darker. The Universe is at war! Yet look at the colorful happytown that is Marvel Super Hero Island!!" - and the arbitrator could force Universal to pay a lot to update the theming and then Disney could swoop in and offer to take the rights away for a song! Yeah, that's not the most likely outcome, but it certainly isn't one outside the realm of possibilities, is it?

Disney knows that one day down the road they will have to pay TONS of money to Universal to be able to create their own Marvel land. It behooves them to play nice, but it does not behoove them to allow Universal to create a new Spider-Man-level ride. That would cost Disney money NOW and it would make a buyout even MORE expensive down the road.  Right now Disney would really only have to pay for the things that couldn't be rethemed without major cost, namely Spider-Man and all the buildings. Unlike that world-famous ride, Dr Doom and Storm Force are cheap rides and Hulk can be easily rethemed. If Disney gives them the go-ahead for a $75M-100M ride that can't be easily rethemed, then Disney can expect the price tag to buy back Marvel to be about $75M-$100M more than what it is now. Even more if the ride becomes even more popular than Spider-Man. They will give away some things to get Hulk's movie rights and to get rid of Dr Doom, but they are NOT going to give away something BIGGER than those things. An Avengers E-Ticket is certainly bigger than those things. 

Changes are coming to MSHI, but anyone who gets too excited about those changes is setting himself/herself up for disappointment. Transfer your hopes and dreams over to Nintendo which, unlike Marvel, will probably end up in USH also.

If rumors are true and they do knock down the 4 Soundstage buildings plus the already knocked-down Soundstage 28 (frankly rumors are almost always true about Universal), I feel like Diagon Alley would be a more likely choice.  They could easily take down Shrek maybe a year or so after our Hogsmeade opens and turn that into the Hogwarts Station.  The Hogwarts Express would definitely be a more fun way to get the the Lower Lot vs the Starway.  The Upper Lot looks significantly better, but the Lower Lot definitely needs attention at this point.  It still has studio exteriors theme minus Jurassic Park.  

If rumors are true and they do knock down the 4 Soundstage buildings plus the already knocked-down Soundstage 28 (frankly rumors are almost always true about Universal), I feel like Diagon Alley would be a more likely choice. They could easily take down Shrek maybe a year or so after our Hogsmeade opens and turn that into the Hogwarts Station. The Hogwarts Express would definitely be a more fun way to get the the Lower Lot vs the Starway. The Upper Lot looks significantly better, but the Lower Lot definitely needs attention at this point. It still has studio exteriors theme minus Jurassic Park.
You would have to knock down a bit more than Shrek to fit Hogsmead Station. As big of a Harry Potter fan I am, Nintendo would be a more logical choice imo. You need something to draw families to the Lower-Lot and what bigger name than Nintendo. Aside from Diagon Alley being too large to fit in that space, USH's social media accounts featured that Nintendo article pretty heavily. Why let your guests know about that partnership if it won't show up at your park?

The Florida version of Nintendo Land is rumored to have four rides. None of them are flats, All of them highly themed. I would rather have that come here than Diagon Ally with a single ride and a bunch of gift shops.

I would look at this for a possible timeline:

-If ET closes in Orlando, then Mummy would have to close here around the same time.

-If ET stays in Orlando, then Nintendo will go on Stage 22-25!

-Nintendo can meet a 2017 mark if it goes on Stage 22-25.

-If Nintendo were to take Mummy, then Mummy would need to close 12/31/15.

-If Mummy turns into Diagon Alley, then Mummy can close summer 2016 and Diagon will debut 2018.

Just my thoughts...

What's nice about any expansion we would receive on the lower lot, besides for the Mummy, everything will be built from a fresh slate and ground up, and could really expedite construction. I can't wait to see more soundstages get removed soon.

Dieneyhead from the Orlando United forums posted the following in regards to the Florida version of Nintendo Land.

OK, after reevaluating my blue sky list here we go:

Pokemon Store/Trading Post/M&G

C-Ticket:

Luigi's Mansion: Similar to Monsters Inc. Ride 'n' Go Seek (Omnimover).

Donkey Kong: Similar to Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin.

E-Ticket:

Peach's Castle: TSMM as if Nintendo and Universal Creative combined their creative firepower. 9 Levels. Level 9, Bowser! Lotso Screens will make his appearance for the duration of this attraction.

Epic E-Ticket:

Legend of Zelda: Utilizing the Mack Motorized Suspended Family Coaster ride system. No screens. 30 T1000 AAs. And Universal Creative is all..
If all of this ends up making its way to Hollywood I will be very happy!