Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

I believe the pause with SNWH is actually virus/lockdown and cash flow related. The cuts to creative and entertainment aren't really effecting this project as almost all of the creative stuff is already done. Once cash flow picks up, they will start again.

Future projects will take a while to gear up for though.

Except that I thought all the new development was preparation for the Olympics, but of course that's not until 2028. Although I think the pandemic has proved that a lot of what was traditionally thought of as necessary for TV production isn't necessarily so.

Except that I thought all the new development was preparation for the Olympics, but of course that's not until 2028. Although I think the pandemic has proved that a lot of what was traditionally thought of as necessary for TV production isn't necessarily so.

I honestly don't think that project is exactly cancelled for Hollywood. Honestly, I can see it just being slowed down so they don't have to spend as much capital for the sake of the new studio facilities.

I know time will tell...but with them not working on Studio stuff would it be a safe guess that by the Oylmics we will still see another E ticket added to Hollywood after Mario Kart because of the Olympic's?
I can for sure see DK making its way here still in a few years because Nintendoland should bring people in whenever it opens and they will see that as an easy way to get those people to keep coming in

Although I think the pandemic has proved that a lot of what was traditionally thought of as necessary for TV production isn't necessarily so.

Hey, former IU member from way back in the day deciding to pop back in, here. I work in Film/TV Production and I’m just curious what you mean by this statement exactly. What may no longer be necessary in my field and how does that impact the current state of USH?

P.S. Happy to be back :)

Hey, former IU member from way back in the day deciding to pop back in, here. I work in Film/TV Production and I’m just curious what you mean by this statement exactly. What may no longer be necessary in my field and how does that impact the current state of USH?

Could be wrong but from what I've heard is many shows are not moving forward right now, there is no need to add more buildings for anything film/TV related since Universal thinks the next few years won't be seeing enough projects to be doing any construction on the backlot

Inv

I get you. IU and USH are two different entities.

Could be wrong but from what I've heard is many shows are not moving forward right now, there is no need to add more buildings for anything film/TV related since Universal thinks the next few years won't be seeing enough projects to be doing any construction on the backlot

Copy that.
However, just for a little insight, the industry will come back soon enough, and will be busier than ever. People are hungrier for new content than ever. Doesn’t mean they would scrap any park expansion plans for studio enhancements... but that lot, as soon as it’s open again for business, will be hustling and bustling like it was in its heyday. Not to mention the issues we’ve been seeing in the industry with location-based shooting (essentially not gonna happen anytime soon) and moving back to studios where our sets will be private, 100% under our control and safe.

As a theme park fan and a film industry worker, though, I would much rather see park expansion in the lower lot and new state of the art (some of UNIs Soundstages are hot, outdated and disgusting) studio facilities built elsewhere, but I know how executives are and they only think in terms of fiscal quarters. It’d be faster to make some money renting out those stages post-pandemic and have them show profits for their shareholders, than spending the money to rip them out and build something new that won’t turn a profit for years.

Last edited:
Copy that.
However, just for a little insight, the industry will come back soon enough, and will be busier than ever. People are hungrier for new content than ever. Doesn’t mean they would scrap any park expansion plans for studio enhancements... but that lot, as soon as it’s open again for business, will be hustling and bustling like it was in its heyday. Not to mention the issues we’ve been seeing in the industry with location-based shooting (essentially not gonna happen anytime soon) and moving back to studios where our sets will be private, 100% under our control and safe.

As a theme park fan and a film industry worker, though, I would much rather see park expansion in the lower lot and new state of the art (some of UNIs Soundstages are hot, outdated and disgusting) studio facilities built elsewhere, but I know how executives are and they only think in terms of fiscal quarters. It’d be faster to make some money renting out those stages post-pandemic and have them show profits for their shareholders, than spending the money to rip them out and build something new that won’t turn a profit for years.
I know not everyone will want this...but I would love more Shows like the mandalorian use those new screens that make things feel alive and much less cartoonie like Green Screens make things feel.
So if they could use that tech and save space and years later money from that then I'm all for it.

I hope Theme parks development takes place over more studio stuff, mainly because I think Hollywood is getting so close to becomes a great theme park but it's not there yet but could be with another new land and E ticket after Nintendo land.

If I am remembering correctly, a big part of what was in Universal's "evolution plan" for the property was a series of new production facilities which they were slated to build as part of preparation for the Los Angeles Olympics. My impression is that with the huge leaps in technology and now so many people seeing that we're seeing broadcasts from people's home with similar quality to what can be produced in studios that many broadcasters could be second guessing the need for so many dedicated facilities. They're all looking to save money, and they now have seen that it's quite possible to do more with less.

The pandemic will be a real disrupter for so many things that have now been proven to not be the necessity they once were, with more people working from home and other new ways of doing things more often.

I know time will tell...but with them not working on Studio stuff would it be a safe guess that by the Oylmics we will still see another E ticket added to Hollywood after Mario Kart because of the Olympic's?
I can for sure see DK making its way here still in a few years because Nintendoland should bring people in whenever it opens and they will see that as an easy way to get those people to keep coming in

Probably a question for the lower lot redesign thread but...I would say yes, for a start I can't see the Mummy still being here in 2028 (sadly) ,so something will need to replace that and I'd guess that will involve demolishing the building so they can open up to the theme park allocated soundstages behind it. That and I absolutely think there will be more added to SNW, DK is still my bet.

If I am remembering correctly, a big part of what was in Universal's "evolution plan" for the property was a series of new production facilities which they were slated to build as part of preparation for the Los Angeles Olympics. My impression is that with the huge leaps in technology and now so many people seeing that we're seeing broadcasts from people's home with similar quality to what can be produced in studios that many broadcasters could be second guessing the need for so many dedicated facilities. They're all looking to save money, and they now have seen that it's quite possible to do more with less.

The pandemic will be a real disrupter for so many things that have now been proven to not be the necessity they once were, with more people working from home and other new ways of doing things more often.

Correct, and they have currently only built 4 of the 12 (I think) soundstages they had planned for the dead sea spot. Like imaginerdmike said I can see production going wild once this is over - we are all crying out for new content and with the streaming competition I see no let up in tv production.

I know not everyone will want this...but I would love more Shows like the mandalorian use those new screens that make things feel alive and much less cartoonie like Green Screens make things feel.
So if they could use that tech and save space and years later money from that then I'm all for it.

I hope Theme parks development takes place over more studio stuff, mainly because I think Hollywood is getting so close to becomes a great theme park but it's not there yet but could be with another new land and E ticket after Nintendo land.

Slightly off topic: Haha, those screens are actually part of my department, the future of those will be changing the industry and will be interesting to see them used more often. They are more expensive and more difficult for us to rig than a standard chroma key screen... but they take VFX believability to a whole new level. Would be cool to see an example of it in an updated special effects stage show ;)

On topic: I just have a quick question for members of this forum with a little more knowledge than me... when Super Nintendo World opens and is most likely a success, do we think that it’s more logical for SNW to be expanded further or is it more likely that other properties would be added first? I’m thinking how when Harry Potter World was being prepped then opened, that inspired USH to fix a lot of other more under appreciated parts of the park rather than expand Potter right out of the gate.

Slightly off topic: Haha, those screens are actually part of my department, the future of those will be changing the industry and will be interesting to see them used more often. They are more expensive and more difficult for us to rig than a standard chroma key screen... but they take VFX believability to a whole new level. Would be cool to see an example of it in an updated special effects stage show ;)

On topic: I just have a quick question for members of this forum with a little more knowledge than me... when Super Nintendo World opens and is most likely a success, do we think that it’s more logical for SNW to be expanded further or is it more likely that other properties would be added first? I’m thinking how when Harry Potter World was being prepped then opened, that inspired USH to fix a lot of other more under appreciated parts of the park rather than expand Potter right out of the gate.
It's hard to know what kinda numbers Universal wants from Nintendo, I know Potter didn't get as many people as they wanted which i mean kinda duh while its an amazing land and has a great ride it's over in Florida meaning most people who REALLY had to go already went and by the time we got it their was a second Potterland.

Nintendoland has a few things going for it, one Nintendo is REALLY big right now with pretty much everyone parents and kids, young and old. As long as the Switch keeps killing it and we get a good Mario Trailer then unlike Potter which while loved was kinda older this is a hot property with fans generations of fans.
Next the only other place to see this is over in Japan and since this was announced to open only a year after that one I think many will hold back and just come to this land since it costs a good deal to get to Japan

Third by the time this land is open people are going to be starving for new things to do, with this year at least not having Halloween and maybe even Christmas events this is one of the only BIG new things to do and its so alive and colorful should be a perfect thing to come and get away from the real world.
Just my two cents and maybe I'm just optimistic as a huge Nintendo fan but think if it does as well as I think it does then DK will be the next thing added to the parks after this and then its anyone's game for what they want to do before the olympics come to town.

I think that unlike Potter SNW is already primed for add ons and additions (DLC packs?!)
We know they already have a fully designed DK land and I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a version of that land configured to fit Hollywood if they need it - probably designed at the same time as what we are getting now.

As to when (if it happens) I'd say it could potentially be:
2022: SNW opening
2023: small investment - Dreamworks theater new film or tram tour addition
2024/25: SNW phase 2

I think that unlike Potter SNW is already primed for add ons and additions (DLC packs?!)
We know they already have a fully designed DK land and I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a version of that land configured to fit Hollywood if they need it - probably designed at the same time as what we are getting now.

As to when (if it happens) I'd say it could potentially be:
2022: SNW opening
2023: small investment - Dreamworks theater new film or tram tour addition
2024/25: SNW phase 2
DK is a must and while I'd loveeeee Zelda. I think if Nintendoland does what it wants that after DK if Universal was smart they would get Pokemon a land.
Pokemon is bigger than basically any IP out there and also has a huge range of kids to adults who love it.

While I'd love more Potter I think Pokemon would make them more money if they could get that land in before 2028.

I'm inclined to believe our expansions will end with DKC. That is unless Gate 2 every comes to fruition.

Yeah--DK is probably what we'll get more than anything for USH with the park as a whole.

As far as a second gate could ever be considered..it isn't impossible to consider both Poke and Zelda could come, just handled in way's that differentiate themselves.

Yeah--DK is probably what we'll get more than anything for USH with the park as a whole.

As far as a second gate could ever be considered..it isn't impossible to consider both Poke and Zelda could come, just handled in way's that differentiate themselves.
While id think now with the economy a 2nd park here is less likely, IF they were to do a 2nd park, having Pokemon and Zelda being the leads is a good idea imo. Also, while id hate this cause I'm an Orlando traveler maybe it'd be smart for Universal to make Zelda a west coast original/only have it HW. Would make people want to visit more (like myself) and if they're trying to offer more of a "resort" package, gotta have some originals.