Terminator 2 3D - The route to Skynet | Inside Universal Forums

Terminator 2 3D - The route to Skynet

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 9, 2013
The Netherlands
This is not my own post, but an excellent post of user Klasodeth over at our Terminator Files forum. All the credit goes to him. I found this post so interesting that I'd like to share it here with you guys.

Looking at T2:3D stuff recently, I realized that there are just enough references in the show to provide a reasonably precise estimate of where the events of T2:3D took place.

When John and the Terminator arrive, the ruined Capitol Records building can be seen in the background. Using some behind-the-scenes photos of the miniature ruins as additional reference, it appears that John and the Terminator materialized on Vine Street between the 101 Freeway and the Capitol Records building.

After escaping from the T-1000, it appears that the Terminator must have started traveling east to meet up with the 101 Freeway, as a number of shots during the HK chase have what appear to be the remains of freeway support pillars. By itself that's not very conclusive, but the aftermath of the Mini HK battle has some additional supporting evidence.

After neutralizing the Mini HK's and a T-800 endoskeleton, John and the Terminator emerge from the building they were in. As they exit, a large road with the text 'Los Angeles Civic Center' is visible near them. This places them just south of the interchange for the 101 Freeway the 110 Freeway. The Skynet complex is shown to be a short distance from John and the Terminator, so it can be assumed that the Skynet complex is located in or near the Los Angeles Civic Center neighborhood, which is located just south of the 101 Freeway.

As an added bonus, Universal Studios Hollywood is also next to the 101 Freeway, just a few miles northeast of the Capitol Records building. So if one wants to treat the Cyberdyne presentation as actually having happened there, the entire show follows the 101 Freeway, starting at Universal Studios Hollywood and roughly following it all the way into the Los Angeles Civic Center.

It's easy enough to independently verify with Google Maps. Just try the following searches:

"Universal Studios Hollywood"

"Capitol Records" (The Capitol Records building is VERY distinctive.)

"Los Angeles Civic Center"

The 101 Freeway itself is very easy to spot, as the markers for all the locations mentioned above will appear about a block away from the freeway. And of course, the freeway will be labeled in Google Maps as "101" and "Hollywood Fwy".

My own reply was:

According to google maps (if I have done it correctly) then this route is 10,7 miles and it takes now about 18 minutes to drive this distance. It feels shorter in the movie.

His reply to mine was:

We don't know how much time passed between the end of the T-1000 encounter and the beginning of the Flying HK encounter.

I actually noticed that. I'm sure it was all unintentional, but yep! Los Angeles is literally a Metro ride away. I live near Civic Center, so I get a chuckle every time I see that destroyed freeway sign in the film.

Last edited by a moderator: