The Batman | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Batman

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With the caveat that I have no knowledge of the Batman comics (or movies outside of The Dark Knight trilogy and Batman v Superman) I thought it was a great movie on a technical level but left a lot to be desired in the writing. There are a lot of good ideas here that really go nowhere (like Bruce Wayne as a target or the street-level cops standing up against crime in spite of their dirty desk job counterparts).

It feels like a pastiche of really great scenes without a strong thread connecting them all…for example, Batman losing his cool interrogating the Riddler is a good scene on its own (derivative of TDK as it may be), but in the context of the movie there’s really no reason for Batman to get so angry. The Riddler clues were a little simplistic too. I guess I just feel like a lot of great ideas were undermined by not feeling earned.

There were also some more obvious issues like every character’s insane invincibility and Gordon’s hammy video game-level dialog. Even the opening monologue could’ve used a rewrite or two to make it less tween angst edgy and less predictable.

With that being said, this is the best world-building of any Batman movie I’ve seen and I would gladly spend another three hours just absorbing the visuals and the music. For that reason alone, I’d still rank it second just to Dark Knight.

Ive been struggling to communicate how this was a technically good movie, but it left me feeling like something was off. This is a great way to put it. There’s something about this movie that just doesn’t seem…memorable. I think it had to do a lot of heavy world building like BB and I would love to see a Godfather 2/TDK level sequel now that the world exists. Admittedly, that’s a lot of pressure. I’m more excited for the upcoming shows than a sequel though.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Just watched it, very impressed. Paul Dano completely stole the show. I'm a Nolan fanboy but I can admire the gothic nature that the Nolan trilogy lacked.

There were times I was shocked this avoided an R rating.

I think I still prefer the first two Nolan movies but I'm quite excited for the sequel--speaking of which,
we've had enough Joker...villain we haven't seen on the big screen in at least twenty years please!

Last edited: