Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

belloq87

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
Universal Exports
I suppose this discussion could have gone in a revived SCREENZ thread, but that thread’s been somewhat stigmatized, so I’ve made this one to approach a related subject from a different angle.

With the apparently certain arrival of two more screen-based/simulator attractions coming to USF (one a replacement for a 3D show, the other a replacement for a mostly-defunct stunt show), how do people feel about the direction of the park?

Keep in mind, these new attractions will be coming after a decade of USF adding virtually nothing but screen-heavy attractions or full-on simulators. In 2011, the park still had Jaws, Twister, and Disaster; in 2021, all of those have been replaced by simulators/simulator-hybrids, PLUS Transformers was added, too, which was essentially a true expansion. Plus the “one for one” simulator swap with Minion Mayhem.

Yes, we know COVID threw a wrench into the construction timeline for Epic Universe, thereby making Universal feel they need to “quickly” get something into USF to fill the additional year(s) before EU opens. But we can also surmise that, at very best, it would likely be 2026 or 2027 before Uni’s attention returns to USF again, and the park will be further in the hole then (in terms of having a diverse attraction line-up) than it is today. And even in that case, non-screen-heavy dark rides do not appear to be anywhere on the management’s priority list for the park (because if they were, surely the park would have received even just one new ride of that sort since... checks records... the year 2000).

So I’d like to have a good faith discussion about this. If you think the current course for the park is all good, I’d genuinely be interested in hearing why. Yes, really! If you (like me) think the park could use a forceful shift away from what it’s been doing over the last decade to re-balance the attraction variety scales, maybe we can try to ascertain why the company obviously sees it quite differently. And whether or not you think the company's moves with USF have been (and are) justifiable in a purely business sense, what would you personally like to see done in the park over the remainder of this decade if you had some say?

I love this park (or, perhaps more accurately, I have a huge amount of residual affection for what it used to be), and I just want to see it be the best that it can possibly be.

Let’s keep it friendly, and acknowledge that our personal tastes are all subjective.

It’s fine. The Villain-Con concept is a walkthrough, screen-based shooting gallery (something that doesn’t really exist in Orlando) replacing a ride system that’s identical to two neighboring attractions. The Potter VR ride is a VR ride, which doesn’t exist in Orlando.

These experiences are new. They screens exist in them, it’s still advancing the total offerings in the park.

Going with the “state of the park” idea…

Removing FFL takes away their main amphitheater. Predictions as to where they will host HHN shows going forward? Or are the days of outdoor theater shows done at UOR?

Removing FFL takes away their main amphitheater. Predictions as to where they will host HHN shows going forward? Or are the days of outdoor theater shows done at UOR?
Animal Actors is still sitting around. They also could use a soundstage or the Sinbad Theater.

It’s fine. The Villain-Con concept is a walkthrough, screen-based shooting gallery (something that doesn’t really exist in Orlando) replacing a ride system that’s identical to two neighboring attractions. The Potter VR ride is a VR ride, which doesn’t exist in Orlando.

These experiences are new. They screens exist in them, it’s still advancing the total offerings in the park.

I would grant that Villain-Con, by virtue of being neither an actual ride nor a show, could be different enough to possibly justify itself (contingent upon still-unknown factors regarding what it's actually going to be like in execution). Obviously, I would rather it be something without screens, but we'll see how well it's executed (or how much it feels like the "quick and temporary" thing it's apparently meant to be).

The VR ride, though, is functionally just another simulator, no? It may have fancy technology, but it will be yet another ride driven by digital video, which the majority of the attractions in the park already are. In isolation, it might be cool; in practice, I don't feel like it's a great fit for where I'd personally like to see USF go, which is in the direction of a more robustly varied set of attractions (like its neighbor park).

Or are the days of outdoor theater shows done at UOR?

I certainly hope not.

There were progressed talk of using T2 for Bill and Ted in 2012. The Bourne stage is actually even better suited to a quick-swap show. They also have Animal Actors, the Hollywood Bowl, and stage space in New York, Mel’s, and KidZone.

My feelings;
*I would have preferred SLOP added somewhere, but it appears the lack of strong merchandise sales backed Universal Florida off. That would have really helped the
balance of the park.
*Minions is a strong IP, and if it's similar to what we've heard, it's distanced enough from a 'simulator' attraction that it will seem to help the balance. Hopefully they add more
to that entire street scene with Despicable Me, so it'll seem like a mini Minion land.
*I'm no big fan of VR, BUT it's different enough from a 'simulator' that it will not feed into the too many simulators feel. And an expansion of the Potter presence in USF, is a plus. Diagon
is the most immersive land in existence, and this will make that area feel even larger in scope.
*I think Universal, in a way, looks at USF and IOA as one giant park, especially since the Hogwart's Express opening. 80% of tickets , according to Universal, are 'two parks' tickets. So, if
you look at it that way, you have '15 lands' total, with a pretty wide array of attractions, many of which are practical attractions. Viewing in that prism, Universal Florida is not overly
top heavy in screen simulators. It's mix is, in all practicality, similar to the WDW mix of Epcot/Animal Kingdom/DHS, when it comes to attractions. Only MK, with it's preponderance of
older classic attractions, has a less screen heavy make-up.
*My personal feeling, is I would have preferred a couple more practical attractions to help the 'separate USF' balance, but a couple of new attractions is a nice plus, at the very least. 'Any'
replacement for Fear Factor is a big plus. I saw the show in 2011, and even though I spend about 20 days in the park every year, I never went back. That show sucked. And while I'm of
the "I like Shrek' camp, it is an older dated simulator, so a replacement of it by a fun IP like Minions, that isn't a 'pure simulator', is a plus (though I would rather have had SLOP).
*Bottom line. The park should be better with the rumored two new additions, than it is now. Whereas, something like F&F was a downgrade over the previous "Disaster' and 'Beetleguise
Show' that occupied that huge footprint in SF. The gigantic failure of F&F is probably the single event that has hurt USF the most. If that would have been a hit D/E attraction, we probably would
not be having this discussion. But, that's a dead horse :bonk::deadhorse: issue.

Last edited:
I think Universal, in a way, looks at USF and IOA as one giant park, especially since the Hogwart's Express opening. 80% of tickets , according to Universal, are 'two parks' tickets. So, if
you look at it that way, you have '15 lands' total, with a pretty wide array of attractions, many of which are practical attractions. Viewing in that prism, Universal Florida is not overly
top heavy in screen simulators.
This may well be how Universal considers the resort internally, but I prefer to view each park (and the WDW parks) as separate experiences. And in that context, I think one of the two parks is coming up short.

And so are the three non-MK Walt Disney World parks (in various ways, not necessarily in the same way as USF... though they could all use more dark rides, too), but that's a whole other discussion!

Shrek would have been a good spot for that lights camera action show in Singapore and Beijing.

That would have been fantastic, but is the area large enough?

Needs more shows. My biggest complaint about UOR in general is this. The days of having twister, Beetlejuice, and Disaster, along with T2, AA, Horror Makeup, Blue Brothers, sure seem to be gone. Shows add SO much to a theme park vacation in my opinion. USF could use them to balance from the heavy screen attractions.

I am usually of two minds with USF, on it's own, it's by far to me likely the second worst theme park in Orlando (granted I haven't been to SeaWorld in two decades so dont know where that stands). I pretty much think I could happily see about 50%~ of the park be demolished and replaced with new things, particularly practical effects based rides,more shows and a better coaster than rip ride rocket. That said it usually has a lot going for it where I dont really feel that disappointed with it as a park or as urgently feel it needs improving as much as I likely should. For one I still think it has a good set of rides in The Mummy, MIB, and despite being a simulator I enjoyed Jimmy Fallon quite a bit, and Diagon Alley is an amazing land. Another factor, which Mad Dog brought up, in which I pretty much agree with and echo everything in their post, is that it's usually hard for me in my experience going to the parks to see USF as a park on it's own. All of my trips have pretty much been with a two park ticket, and be it via the hogwarts express or even just walking from gate to gate after a bite in Citywalk , it's hard to see USF as its own park and not USF and IOA as "one big park". Another framework it's hard not to avoid is appreciating USF for its events which does for me bolster the appeal of visiting it.

When it comes to the two rumored rides, I can say upfront I have no interest in VR, I will likely try the ride even so, but it's near impossible for me to be excited for it. The walkthrough shooting gallery is here or there for me, its fine, it's different enough from other offerings currently existing, but I can just as easily imagine the concept with say some practical sets instead or just as well they should have brought over the SLoP ride or make their own dark ride. That said I think both additions are at the minimum, better than what's there now but aren't really close to where or what the bigger problems of the park are.

how do people feel about the direction of the park?

Shrek 4D is incompetent and terrible and FFL was never liked and never ran to full shows. Replacing one with an all-ages, no height requirement, no "Universal fat shames" attraction to supplement Minion Mayhem is great. VR I'm iffier on due to issues with motion sickness between men and women using VR but it will unquestionably be a better attraction that will appeal to more people.

.. no "Universal fat shames" attraction…

What does this even mean? Isn’t it the manufacturer that creates the restraints/dimensions of a ride vehicle and not Universal?

Anyways…as a life long fan who attended the park at a young age when it first opened, these attractions continue to make me not care about USF. If it wasn’t for HHN, I’d have no reason to visit this place. The park lacks nostalgic experiences and is too screen heavy. For a park that was founded on classic cinema and big animatronic movie monsters, I find it’s a continuation of the park losing its identity.

That said I think both additions are at the minimum, better than what's there now but aren't really close to where or what the bigger problems of the park are.
Shrek 4D is incompetent and terrible and FFL was never liked and never ran to full shows. Replacing one with an all-ages, no height requirement, no "Universal fat shames" attraction to supplement Minion Mayhem is great. VR I'm iffier on due to issues with motion sickness between men and women using VR but it will unquestionably be a better attraction that will appeal to more people.
In a vacuum, certainly, what's coming is very likely a better usage of the space than what's there currently. I'm generally philosophically opposed to VR in a theme park setting (which is a whole other discussion we could have if people wanted), and have no interest in the purported attraction that's coming, but I'm not shedding any tears for Fear Factor.

I just think non-screens/simulator attractions would be considerably better, and would actually begin to rectify an attraction lineup that has too few such rides. Because after these two additions, it's going to take even more time and work to begin to approach balance again.

Anyways…as a life long fan who attended the park at a young age when it first opened, these attractions continue to make me not care about USF. If it wasn’t for HHN, I’d have no reason to visit this place. The park lacks nostalgic experiences and is too screen heavy. For a park that was founded on classic cinema and big animatronic movie monsters, I find it’s a continuation of the park losing its identity.
Harsh, but I agree more than I disagree.

The USF of the 1990s (and right on through until this past decade) had a pretty ideal balance of dark rides, simulators, and shows (of various types). It was lacking coasters (and some might argue it still is), but other than that, it was a great mixture.

Maybe not the right thread for this discussion, but…

I understand where this individual is coming from and do not believe larger individuals should be discriminated against. However, I find their reaction hyperbolic since they are commenting on videos of an attraction designed for children that they haven’t experienced.

The lap bar for SLoP is in place to keep children from leaving their seats. Having been on the ride several times, I have never seen anyone have difficulty fitting in the ride vehicle, unlike FJ or ROTM (which I happened to witness yesterday here in Hollywood). Perhaps that’s because they try the test seat before entering the queue.

To bring this discussion back to the state of USF…bummer SLoP isn’t being added in place of Shrek! Would have brought some much needed balance to the park IMO.

Animal Actors is there, but is rather small. Bourne seems to be the most natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.