The End of Scarezones As We Knew Them? | Inside Universal Forums

The End of Scarezones As We Knew Them?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 21, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Scarezones/Lot Scares have always been a tricky beast for haunted attractions across the nation.

Universal Studios is no different.

The numerous issues in Scarezones, including assault and harassment, were brought to the public eye in ways we have not seen in the past.

As the event grows and grows, what do we believe the future for these beloved experiences will be?

I definitely think we'll see the actors stop posing for selfies or photos with fans, probably an extra security guard or 2.

Seemed like Die-In had the focus of the issues, undoubtedly due to the traffic caused by general traveling and exiting the haunt. Maybe this year since there is no haunt, it shouldn't be an issue.

Either way, there really is no way to stop it because people are morons.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I definitely think we'll see the actors stop posing for selfies or photos with fans, probably an extra security guard or 2.

Seemed like Die-In had the focus of the issues, undoubtedly due to the traffic caused by general traveling and exiting the haunt. Maybe this year since there is no haunt, it shouldn't be an issue.

Either way, there really is no way to stop it because people are morons.
There's no way to stop photo / selfie demand though. If memory serves me correctly, most scareactors are already told not to pose/stop for photos. And people do not take kindly to "no."

My thinking is that the issues will only grow as the event grows.

Universal stopped Dueling Dragons from dueling because people are morons....what lengths (if any?) would (or should) they go to prevent issues/accidents/lawsuits with Scarezones?

There's no way to stop it though. If memory serves me correctly, most scareactors are already told not to pose/stop for photos. And people do not take kindly to "no."

My thinking is that the issue will only grow as the event grows.

Universal stopped Dueling Dragons from dueling because people are morons....what lengths (if any?) would (or should) they go to prevent issues/accidents/lawsuits with Scarezones?

Maybe put front & center "ACTORS WILL NOT STOP OR POSE FOR PHOTOS. CONTINUED HARASSMENT GROUNDS FOR EJECTION FROM EVENT."

Just spitballin' here.

Like you said, no real solution other than outright removing scarezones.

Reactions: Cole
Maybe put front & center "ACTORS WILL NOT STOP OR POSE FOR PHOTOS. CONTINUED HARASSMENT GROUNDS FOR EJECTION FROM EVENT."

Just spitballin' here.

Like you said, no real solution other than outright removing scarezones.
Well, I would hate to see the outright demise of scarezones. I think they are rubbish at providing scares but the atmosphere they provide is invaluable. My intention was to create a dialogue as to how to proceed and also to express how scared/saddened I am thinking of the bad ways the event could/would change.

I think backlash from completely removing scarezones would be widespread. But I wonder what the backlash would be if every scarezone were more like mini-stage shows / displays.

I don't think scare zones will ever be removed, it's a staple. Guests pick at the scenery and punch scareactors in the houses probably around 50 times a night if not more, nobody would ever think to remove them. I think Briman has a good solution, just add more rules, hire more security and make bigger consequences. Don't make zones filled with iconic characters like in die in (unless staged) and direct the actors to not take selfies. It's all fixable

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think scare zones of the past are gone forever. The world we live in now is so focused on photos and specifically selfies that that's just going to be a big part of any scare zone. Trying to stop that is just working against what the public wants and will fail miserably. I think the best course is to embrace that and find a way to build scare zones around the idea that people are going to be taking photos and selfies. The basis of every good scare set up is distraction and nothing is more distracting than taking photos. The only real option is to use this as a creative opportunity, sometimes really challenging situations bring out the most creative solutions. We could end up seeing some scare zones do some things we never thought of.

It's easy to dissuade selfies. Tell actors not to cooperate, and when guest services gets flooded with complaints, tell guests it's a safety issue. Universal did the first very well in 2012, dropped the ball on the second, which helped cause this mess.

It's easy to dissuade selfies. Tell actors not to cooperate, and when guest services gets flooded with complaints, tell guests it's a safety issue. Universal did the first very well in 2012, dropped the ball on the second, which helped cause this mess.

This.

Also...this happens at like every haunt across the country. We hear about it more at Uni because they're more visible, but every haunt has problems with guests getting out of hand and touching the actors. I'm not saying Uni shouldn't be doing everything they can to curb it, but it is a common problem in the medium.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
It's really not that simple. People don't simply walk up and ask the actor if it's okay to take a selfie, they approach them in the process of taking a selfie. I witnessed quite a few actors last year attempting to avoid this, the end result is a whole bunch of guests chasing actors around the scare zone. The actors focus then becomes avoiding guests and continuously moving not scaring. Then of course there's all the upset guests, while those of us on here appreciate what they're trying to do the general public just perceives them as being annoying and not giving them want they want and payed for.

Maybe have a type of HHN Meet & Greet off to the side of each scare zone with a few scare actors and signs up saying that's the only area allowed for photos. Have a security guy and universal photographer present. And Universal might sell some photos to boot. Maybe they've done this already. I've only been to three HHN nights so I'm kind of a raw rookie on that.

Reactions: MrRoamer and IzzyB
They did something a few years, the biggest one probably being at IOA. Then they had smaller versions of it and seemed to try to do a big one again at HHN XXI with Lady Luck, but didn't seem to work out great because A) It was in Sting Alley and was pretty poorly done B) Lady Luck was just not good

Reactions: Mad Dog
This.

Also...this happens at like every haunt across the country. We hear about it more at Uni because they're more visible, but every haunt has problems with guests getting out of hand and touching the actors. I'm not saying Uni shouldn't be doing everything they can to curb it, but it is a common problem in the medium.
As a lot actor 5+ years at Netherworld Haunted House in Atlanta, GA I am no stranger to the situation.

I, however, do not work for a massive corporation such as NBC/Comcast/Universal. I also do not have Guest Relations to answer to...

Personally, I see a lot more mini-stages set up in future Scarezones as a reprieve for the actors / solution to some of the harassment.

Maybe have a type of HHN Meet & Greet off to the side of each scare zone with a few scare actors and signs up saying that's the only area allowed for photos. Have a security guy and universal photographer present. And Universal might sell some photos to boot. Maybe they've done this already. I've only been to three HHN nights so I'm kind of a raw rookie on that.

I think they have this figured out. Scareactors dinner! I went last year and you had some great photo ops and pretty good food as well. Why give it away when you can charge for it?

Yeah I expect to see the scare actor dining expanded. They ended up adding days to it last year and it seemed to go very well.

I'm not sure I can buy the idea of 7 houses. HHN is a big deal for Universal and I would assume there is pressure for them to step it up each year. Take a huge step backward like that would be disastrous for the event.