Hall of Presidents | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Hall of Presidents

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually liked Muppets Now quite a bit, but I think they needed a bit more skit variety. It's not an easy show to binge watch, because all the episodes feel a bit too similar.

As far as this goes....I've never stepped foot in this attraction, so I don't really care what they do with it. Would I check it out, if the Muppets were involved? ....maybe.

It would be a shame if they discontinue adding the new presidents even just to be in the background.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a different version of the attraction (1993) I had no idea-very cool-I’ll have to check it out.

I love the tall tales idea and could see the Muppets humor/antics fitting it perfectly. Something had to be done. I think the last time I went to HoP was in 2010 and I can’t remember the last time before that.

Hall of Presidents just doesn’t fit into present day Magic Kingdom. It feels like it would best belong in Epcot.

I’m all for removing the presidents and replacing with a new fun show. Nothing good comes out of the backlash from the ride. And has somebody who has never been on it before, it just sounds so boring. I pay a lot of money per hour to be at Disney. I’m not wasting it on HoP.

America's Tall Tales with The Muppets. Mixed media live show with actors, movie elements, sets, and more. Tall Tales like John Henry, Paul Bunyon, Betsy Ross (ok I know), etc but with the Muppets. Celebrates the history and myth making of America but without having actually use real peope.

There's probably a very good attraction to be made from this concept, but the notion of "Tall Tales" and American mythology almost feels like it would be more appropriate for Frontierland; even if not 100% thematically correct, there's a heightened quality that I'm not sure works in Liberty Square, but would feel at home in Frontierland. (Then again, Haunted Mansion's there, so who knows...)

It would be a shame to lose another extensive animatronics ensemble, though.

Haunted Mansion restaurant or I'm cancelling my pass

Kidding

I'm starting to love the idea of The Muppets writing the Declaration of Independence as stand ins for the Founders

You could also make it heart warming towards the end

Last edited:
The American Adventure already has a very nice scene about writing the Declaration, though.

That's kind of the challenge if you're moving away from a focus on the Presidents: how do you avoid stepping on TAA's territory or (worst of all) somehow spoofing it?

Reactions: SeventyOne
how do you avoid stepping on TAA's territory or (worst of all) somehow spoofing it?
That would kind of be the point, it would be the more tongue in cheek version of the TAA

Obviously not South Park level humor, but fun gags and things of that nature

Essentially what they already had before with the other Muppet show

The American Adventure already has a very nice scene about writing the Declaration, though.

That's kind of the challenge if you're moving away from a focus on the Presidents: how do you avoid stepping on TAA's territory or (worst of all) somehow spoofing it?
American Adventure and this attraction are in separate parks though and HOP is the worst rated attraction in MK, so changing course to a more fun way of learning history is probably for the best. It would get through to kids better and would be more palatable to adults with heavy feelings towards specific Presidents. The American Adventure would be the "serious" attraction - I think having two "serious" attractions based on American history is probably too much for most. People want to have fun on vacation.

I really enjoy HOP and it's one of only three places in the world to have an official Great Seal of the United States rug displayed. It took an actual act of congress for it to be there. If Disney changed this attractions to Muppets and wasn't so focused on the Presidents, I do wonder if they would be made to give it back. That would be a great loss if so.

Liberty Square is set in the Revolutionary Era - so make it the Hall of Independence; highlighting the war and the steps the Founding Fathers took to become Independent. Then at the end, have the AAs be all the signers of the Declaration, mimicking the famous painting.

I’d highlight both the good and bad, fwiw.
The problem is people are on vacation, they don't want to hear about the bad, even if it is a harsh reality. The polarizing nature of the attraction as is is a big reason why it's so poorly rated within the park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
American Adventure and this attraction are in separate parks though and HOP is the worst rated attraction in MK, so changing course to a more fun way of learning history is probably for the best. It would get through to kids better and would be more palatable to adults with heavy feelings towards specific Presidents. The American Adventure would be the "serious" attraction - I think having two "serious" attractions based on American history is probably too much for most. People want to have fun on vacation.

I really enjoy HOP and it's one of only three places in the world to have an official Great Seal of the United States rug displayed. It took an actual act of congress for it to be there. If Disney changed this attractions to Muppets and wasn't so focused on the Presidents, I do wonder if they would be made to give it back. That would be a great loss if so.

The problem is people are on vacation, they don't want to hear about the bad, even if it is a harsh reality. The polarizing nature of the attraction as is is a big reason why it's so poorly rated within the park.

I’m not saying focus on the bad, but something akin to how American Adventure handles the Civil War/Slavery/Equal Rights.

Reactions: shiekra38
Liberty Square is set in the Revolutionary Era - so make it the Hall of Independence; highlighting the war and the steps the Founding Fathers took to become Independent. Then at the end, have the AAs be all the signers of the Declaration, mimicking the famous painting.

I’d highlight both the good and bad, fwiw.
I thought about this as well

I would, however, end with Lincoln or maybe have him narrate the entire thing and have it be a surprise at the end or something

I think it ties the show together a bit more

Loosely related but I never miss a chance to point this out... the brown strip of pavement going through the middle of the walkways in the Liberty Square is meant to represent sewage from pre-plumbing times.

Once you see it, it can’t be unseen.

I hope it sticks around, too.

Reactions: Clive and Nick
Loosely related but I never miss a chance to point this out... the brown strip of pavement going through the middle of the walkways in the Liberty Square is meant to represent sewage from pre-plumbing times.

Once you see it, it can’t be unseen.
I bet the Revolutionary Era smelled like New York City does today

Something I think would be a cool touch to the land in general would be if Disney used the DCP to their advantage and stationed History majors in this land and, sort of like the countries in Epcot (normally) or the different lands in DAK, there could be ways to put their knowledge to use with some sort of guest incentive program to learn more about history. Sort of like the Wilderness Explorers interactive thing at Animal Kingdom.

I’m not saying focus on the bad, but something akin to how American Adventure handles the Civil War/Slavery/Equal Rights.
I feel like you could do this, but with The Muppets instead of as a more serious show. I just feel like people are going to be bored in a serious show like that and use it as an excuse to fall asleep, whereas a Muppets version would be a edutaining way to get the point across, but make sure people aren't bored in the process. This would help with kids, especially, as they tend to get restless during HOP.

Reactions: BigHouseFootball
Something I think would be a cool touch to the land in general would be if Disney used the DCP to their advantage and stationed History majors in this land and, sort of like the countries in Epcot (normally) or the different lands in DAK, there could be ways to put their knowledge to use with some sort of guest incentive program to learn more about history. Sort of like the Wilderness Explorers interactive thing at Animal Kingdom.

I feel like you could do this, but with The Muppets instead of as a more serious show. I just feel like people are going to be bored in a serious show like that and use it as an excuse to fall asleep, whereas a Muppets version would be a edutaining way to get the point across, but make sure people aren't bored in the process. This would help with kids, especially, as they tend to get restless during HOP.
IMO American Adventure is perfect in execution and appropriate for the park it's in

Muppets would be more appropriate for MK 2021 IMO

Or just use it as an event space lolz

I still think just turning it into Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln east makes the most sense. Keep the others in the background, no speaking not even standing up, just blinking and occasionally moving slightly while Lincoln speaks. It would be cheap and inexpensive to modify it that way.
Lincoln is to me the greatest attraction that really is under loved...almost every show had no one in it and its very well done.

Maybe make a new version or kinda tweak some parts and redo it to fit the hall of Presidents and then also update DL version as well, would be nice.

I love the Muppets but rather them get there own thing over spoofing America....but that's just me.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
I really hope it’s more a “The Presidency: Featuring the Muppets” sort of thing. It’s not about America, like American Adventure. It’s explicitly about the the history and duties of the position. Gonzo, Sam, and Kermit serve as the primary hosts, while Fozzie, Piggy, Rizzo, Pepe and the rest do their sort of mad-cap retelling of things. Lin Manuel interrupts when all of them attempt ) their own take at a Hamilton-type skit about Lincoln (“Abraham”), and introduces the “actual” Abraham Lincoln. The AA is revealed, who has a conversation with all the Muppets before revealing the rest of the Presidents. There’s no more formal “role call,” apart from the Muppets pointing out their favorites (older, “safe” ones). You get the fun, with an inspirational climax that is still true to the original.

I really hope it’s more a “The Presidency: Featuring the Muppets” sort of thing. It’s not about America, like American Adventure. It’s explicitly about the the history and duties of the position. Gonzo, Sam, and Kermit serve as the primary hosts, while Fozzie, Piggy, Rizzo, Pepe and the rest do their sort of mad-cap retelling of things. Lin Manuel interrupts when all of them attempt ) their own take at a Hamilton-type skit about Lincoln (“Abraham”), and introduces the “actual” Abraham Lincoln. The AA is revealed, who has a conversation with all the Muppets before revealing the rest of the Presidents. There’s no more formal “role call,” apart from the Muppets pointing out their favorites (older, “safe” ones). You get the fun, with an inspirational climax that is still true to the original.
If they did that, then they would still need a Biden AA that stands with all the rest of the Presidents during the reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.