The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 22, 2018
With Disney now owning the Simpsons what’s the future for the land and ride? Do you guys see universal extending the contract? There’s also been talk Disney would sell the rights to universal. What could replace the land if universal doesn’t extend the contract?

I mean on one hand I could see why Univeral would want to move on and not give a competitor any more money they need to. On the other it's not like Disney would build anything in their parks for The Simpsons and getting basically "free money" in terms of licensing costs for doing practically nothing.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
*ahem*

I mainly hope they get to keep them for the Land....I think the rides are fine but for me its the land that I really enjoy walking around and getting a Buzz Cola.

*shakes head*

I'm not getting involved into this thread. Ever since The Simpsons ride opened, @Sideshow Bob has been trying to demolish it... while you're on it!

...I'm onto you...

On a serious note, it's a well designed land that moves a decent amount of food and drink (not sure about merch) and with how much pullbacks have been happening, I don't see Universal paying big bucks to redo an area that doesn't need it right now.

If SNW hypothetically ends up in Kidzone, Luigi's Mansion would look nice over here :)

I do love the Simpsons though so id be sad if they left.

If SNW hypothetically ends up in Kidzone, Luigi's Mansion would look nice over here :)

I do love the Simpsons though so id be sad if they left.
Luigi needs to come at some point

Personally I wonder if it's better to demolish Simpsons and simply reconfigure the area entirely

I feel like there’s been too much done with the Springfield land to just do away with it. Either Universal just keeps Simpsons and Marvel and becomes “a little slice of Disney” or there’s some type of tradeoff.

If I were Universal, the list of stuff I’d want in return for Simpsons and Marvel full-stop would be as long as the list the guys in Armageddon drum up. (Also a Disney movie!)

Springfield is almost a perfect land., though it could use a newer E ticket. But the Simpsons ride, isn't bad. It, and the queue/ride is fun. If there weren't so many screen based rides in USF, it would probably get a better reception.
If it was a practical ride, or at the very least, themed to the Nuclear Plant as planned, it would probably be more beloved

I would love a modern Mr. Toad type attraction with the Simpsons

Unfortunately Universal was low on funds at the time...and the clock is ticking

I feel like there’s been too much done with the Springfield land to just do away with it. Either Universal just keeps Simpsons and Marvel and becomes “a little slice of Disney” or there’s some type of tradeoff.

If I were Universal, the list of stuff I’d want in return for Simpsons and Marvel full-stop would be as long as the list the guys in Armageddon drum up. (Also a Disney movie!)
TBH I feel Springfield could be rethemed quite easily.

The restaurant is mostly just facade work and signage, Duff is an open air bar with faux brick

The taco truck could be swapped out, as well as the donut place

I think Simpsons was the most (cost) effective re-theming I have ever seen. The area for the most part was dead and it now a very nice place to be.
I expect when the alleged 2028 end date of the contract has come, the land will be demolished for something new.
The ride building is old as are the ride vehicles. Universal has a ton of ip's nowadays that would make a nice land or area.

Last edited:
I think Simpsons was the most (cost) effective re-theming I have ever seen. The area for the most part was dead and it now a very nice place to be.
I expect when the alleged 2028 end date of the contract has come, the land will be demolished for something new.
The ride building is old as are the ride vehicles. Universal has a ton of ip's nowadays that would make a nice land or area.
You are so right. and during normal times it always has a crowd....most of them spending money of food, alcohol and merchandise.....and even the games.

You are so right. and during normal times it always has a crowd....most of them spending money of food, alcohol and merchandise.....and even the games.
Build a Despicable Me/Minions land with Silly Fun Land and you will have the same atmosphere. The games would fit, the carnival ride too and it will be bright and fun.

I used to like Simpsons Ride, but that was when there was only one other sim ride in the park. Since the other two "flying theatre" rides are Universal properties, I'd be more than glad to see Simpsons go. For whatever reason I'd really like to see Universal embrace its brand and rely more on its own properties.

I used to like Simpsons Ride, but that was when there was only one other sim ride in the park. Since the other two "flying theatre" rides are Universal properties, I'd be more than glad to see Simpsons go. For whatever reason I'd really like to see Universal embrace its brand and rely more on its own properties.
I will never understand that line of thinking. One of the things I detest most about "Disney" is the brand idolization by the fans.

The thought of waiting in a 4 hour line for some LE Pop figures of Figment or Penelope Toothsome and Jaques just seems totally bat guano to me.

Getting rid of the Simpsons Ride would be great to combat USF’s perception as the simulator park.

That being said, Springfield is incredible. As a huge HP fan, I’ve never eaten at the Leaky Cauldron because I keep wanting to go to Springfield. It’s got such great theming, good food, and you get to eat at Moe’s!

A Simpsons dark ride would be a great long-term fix, but nobody knows what Universal/Disney will do.

Honestly - and I’m sure this has been suggested before - why not retheme Springfield as Hill Valley?

I feel like BTTF is the ride everyone misses the most, and we all know the Simpsons ride building takes up a huge footprint; if you really wanted to, here would be your opportunity to remake BTTF as Studios’ version of Forbidden Journey.

Only trouble I’d see is food and beverage stuff; Hill Valley doesn’t have very many well-known commercial places. You could bring Doc’s Fried Chicken over from Hollywood, but what else? We didn’t have this problem before because the predecessor to Fast Food Boulevard was...[gulp]...International Food & Film Festival.