The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney's branding, name identification, and marketing has been extraordinary for quite some time. Tough comparison. Of course, Universal could do more in the way of promotions etc., but that doesn't necessarily guarantee success, thus they've had to depend on outside licensing of popular brands. But, even though they have to pay licensing fees, on the whole, that IP leasing has been very successful. Adding their own IP's is gravy, so that helps. But their own IP's will probably
never be strong enough, brand wise, to carry their theme parks like Disney does. Heck, Disney has soooo many strong IP's, that they actually underutilize many of them.
Universal is literally making a theme park in Texas that's only Universal IPs

I think its more Universal needs people from Disney who know how to market your characters after the films release. Its not Like Universal isn't making hit films Jurassic and Minions made a Billion dollars....but really not much in the parks reflect that.
I see no Nope, Black Phone, or Megan Merch all liked films from last year.
I saw nothing for Violet Night

Sing 2 did very well even if its a meh film and I don't see much of that, Puss and Boots 2 and Bad Guys nothing.
Halloween Ends didn't even get a maze, yes we got a classic Halloween maze but once again really nothing in the parks

They have to try before just giving up and put a little money in or else yeah your characters and films will just go away

Reactions: DodgsonHere
Disney's branding, name identification, and marketing has been extraordinary for quite some time. Tough comparison. Of course, Universal could do more in the way of promotions etc., but that doesn't necessarily guarantee success, thus they've had to depend on outside licensing of popular brands. But, even though they have to pay licensing fees, on the whole, that IP leasing has been very successful. Adding their own IP's is gravy, so that helps. But their own IP's will probably
never be strong enough, brand wise, to carry their theme parks like Disney does. Heck, Disney has soooo many strong IP's, that they actually underutilize many of them.
I think Universal has better IP than Disney overall, they're just worse at keeping them relevant. For example, I firmly believe that if Disney had owned Back to the Future and Jaws they would still have attractions in nearly every Disney resort around the world. It's a shame that Universal is just now starting to leverage nostalgia for their properties, something Disney has known how to do since they started in theme parks.

Licensing is great, but I really hope Universal begins to utilize their own IP more. They've started to do it justice with Jurassic, Dreamworks, and Illumination but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The only thing that worries me about Universal removing the Simpsons ride is where they shove those carnival games to. It seems like Universal is insistent on having them in the parks.

Though minion-themed carnival games would be a better fit in the new Illuminations area now.

Agree with comments about converting Springfield into Bikini Bottom. It would be an instant classic. They're still churning out episodes of the show and making movies so it's still very relevant and family friendly. It's honestly shocked me that the only Spongebob related thing at Universal is the store.

Fast Food Boulevard could easily change into a Bikini Bottom Boulevard/The Krusty Krab Food Hall easily. You could even write it into the lore that Mr. Krabs decided to expand The Krusty Krab into a food hall with more dining options for $$$.

• Lisa’s Teahouse of Horror ------> Pearl's Place
  • Luigi’s Pizza ------> Krusty Krab Pizza
  • The Frying Dutchman ------> The Chum Bucket
  • Cletus’ Chicken Shack -----> Sea Chicken Shack (or Sandy's Spot, could even be BBQ influenced given her Texas roots.)
  • Krusty Burger-----> The Krusty Krab (Obviously)
  • Flaming Moe’s-----> This one's a bit trickier to re-theme but I'm sure Universal figure it out.
Duff Brewery would also be a little bit trickier but would actually be really fun to re-theme into a Bikini Bottom Tiki Bar honestly. Maybe Patchy the Pirate influenced?

I think that Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl could be given a Plankton retheme very easily or the Flying Dutchman.

As far as The Simpsons Ride, it wouldn't be hard to change into The Spongebob Ride. Just change the cars into a boat, swap out the video, and you have Spongebob's Boating School Blast or something similar. Really the options are limitless.

Then just convert the rest of Springfield into Bikini Bottom. Keep Midway Games just change them into a nautical theme. Spongebob Character Meet and Greets could expand into this area beyond the Spongebob Storepants. Shut down the current Spongebob Storepants location and move it into the Kwik-E-Mart area. It's a no-brainer really.

Last edited:
The only thing that worries me about Universal removing the Simpsons ride is where they shove those carnival games to. It seems like Universal is insistent on having them in the parks.

Though minion-themed carnival games would be a better fit in the new Illuminations area now.
Maybe they can keep them nearby as part of the new area the succeeds Springfield. But moving them to the Illumination area makes sense and seems like the most likely outcome here. A third option is to put them in the new DWA land replacing Kidzone.

Agree with comments about converting Springfield into Bikini Bottom. It would be an instant classic. They're still churning out episodes of the show and making movies so it's still very relevant and family friendly. It's honestly shocked me that the only Spongebob related thing at Universal is the store.

Fast Food Boulevard could easily change into a Bikini Bottom Boulevard/The Krusty Krab Food Hall easily. You could even write it into the lore that Mr. Krabs decided to expand The Krusty Krab into a food hall with more dining options for $$$.

• Cletus’ Chicken Shack -----> Sandy's Spot, could even be BBQ influenced given her Texas roots.
  • Flaming Moe’s-----> This one's a bit trickier to re-theme but I'm sure Universal figure it out.
Duff Brewery would also be a little bit trickier but would actually be really fun to re-theme into a Bikini Bottom Tiki Bar honestly. Maybe Patchy the Pirate influenced?

I think that Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl could be given a Plankton retheme very easily or the Flying Dutchman.

As far as The Simpsons Ride, it wouldn't be hard to change into The Spongebob Ride. Just change the cars into a boat, swap out the video, and you have Spongebob's Boating School Blast or something similar. Really the options are limitless.

Then just convert the rest of Springfield into Bikini Bottom. Keep Midway Games just change them into a nautical theme. Spongebob Character Meet and Greets could expand into this area beyond the Spongebob Storepants. Shut down the current Spongebob Storepants location and move it into the Kwik-E-Mart area. It's a no-brainer really.
I've said it for years - Spongebob is the biggest missed opportunity in theme park history. This would be amazing.

Spongebob could be an absolute cashcow.

Actually, I just figured it out. Lol. It could be The Salty Spitoon! Or Weenie Hut Jr's.

Duff's Bar
could even become whichever one Flaming Moe's isn't re-themed to. Alternatively Duff Bar could transform into the Juice Bar from the MuscleBob BuffPants episode, The Rusty Anchor, Weenie Hut, really anything from here: Restaurants

Last edited:

• Cletus’ Chicken Shack -----> Sandy's Spot, could even be BBQ influenced given her Texas roots.

I think that Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl could be given a Plankton retheme very easily.

I think any ride that would replace Simpsons would involve a demo and rebuild from scratch IMO. The ride system dates back to 1991 and is in really rough shape. I think the SpongeBob Ip would be well suited to a TSMM interactive dark ride or even a ride using the stacked dark ride patent from a while back considering that The Simpsons Ride at USF at least does not have the most amount of workable space to expand (USH is a little different as they can expand over the hill if needed)

Any new ride that gets built in the Simpsons plot could easily absorb portions of Animal Actors/backstage areas where the Sprung Tents are located if they want to be ambitious and not lazy. They don't have to stick to the current Simpsons acreage.

I had to edit the option for Cletus's Chicken Shack because I didn't realize there is a SEA CHICKEN SHACK in the show. Like, the show is really making it extremely easy for a quick and easy overlay.

1679582125537.png

• Love
Reactions: TheCodeMan95