The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What is the origin of this discussion (it doesn’t even feel like a rumor)? This still feels like wish fulfillment propagated by an echo chamber:

Reactions: alomar and Mad Dog
But....,everyone's just guessing on the Simpson's time limit. No one has seen the actual contract, and it's terms. There may also be renewal options in the contract.
No, nobody has actual access to the contract, but I've always heard (like since Simpsons was built) that it was 2028 like @DodgsonHere said.

Also, there are more than rumblings about Simpsons being removed in Hollywood

The Universal parks are normally downstream from one another, so it's not surprising that someone would deduce that Simpsons would be on the chopping block soon-ish

Add in the fact that the BTTF ride system is as old as...well....me...and I'm 30 - at death's door

Personally, I think this land will be rethemed to a property that hasn't been invented yet...I guess we'll see

Reactions: DodgsonHere
"Rumor"...is the key word. And....that moves the entire discussion into the 'pure speculation' lacking any real merit stage, at this point in time......Yes, thirty years
seems to be old for a ride...BUT...at MK or Disneyland, that would be a relatively young attraction.....I'm not trying to be a spoil sport. But there's been no evidence, only conjecture, that Universal is going to replace a fairly recently rebuilt land (Springfield), that's highly profitable, in the midst of building a new park, or soon after. I'm looking at it from a business perspective, and not a fan community slant. The fan community seems to generally have the mindset that almost everything in a theme park will be replaced within a few years by all new stuff. From a business perspective, that's not a very profitable way to operate.

Last edited:
I'm looking at it from a business perspective, and not a fan community slant. The fan community seems to generally have the mindset that almost everything in a theme park will be replaced within a few years by all new stuff. From a business perspective, that's not a very profitable way to operate.
isn't this almost exactly how universal operates?

isn't this almost exactly how universal operates?
USF in the past before they rebuilt most of the park, They've slowed down since.. IOA is almost exactly the same as opening except for Potter replacing part of LC and Velocicoaster add on. So, kind of partially yes on one park, and mostly no on the other.

No, nobody has actual access to the contract, but I've always heard (like since Simpsons was built) that it was 2028 like @DodgsonHere said.

Also, there are more than rumblings about Simpsons being removed in Hollywood

The Universal parks are normally downstream from one another, so it's not surprising that someone would deduce that Simpsons would be on the chopping block soon-ish

Add in the fact that the BTTF ride system is as old as...well....me...and I'm 30 - at death's door

Personally, I think this land will be rethemed to a property that hasn't been invented yet...I guess we'll see
Can you say more on how you knew it was 2028 since it was built? I have heard that 2028 was with an extension of the contract. I’m really curious to see the where all this truly began. Alicia is solid on reporting rumors, and I believe even she has said that she doesn’t believe this is happening.

This whole thing feels like:
1. Fans pick Universal and Disney as teams, expecting the companies to treat each other like that.
2. An extension of the Marvel contract conversation somehow.
3. People’s desire for a removal of a screen ride.

I don’t really care what happens to Simpsons. Level the whole thing and make multiple new areas in that corner of the park. But that’s not based in rumor and reality (as far as anyone in the know can speak to).

Can you say more on how you knew it was 2028 since it was built? I have heard that 2028 was with an extension of the contract. I’m really curious to see the where all this truly began. Alicia is solid on reporting rumors, and I believe even she has said that she doesn’t believe this is happening.

This whole thing feels like:
1. Fans pick Universal and Disney as teams, expecting the companies to treat each other like that.
2. An extension of the Marvel contract conversation somehow.
3. People’s desire for a removal of a screen ride.

I don’t really care what happens to Simpsons. Level the whole thing and make multiple new areas in that corner of the park. But that’s not based in rumor and reality (as far as anyone in the know can speak to).
Well it's all rumors, nobody has a definitive, however, I've always heard 2028, they could pull out at anytime I guess.

1. People do often pit Disney and Universal against one another, but it's really a question of Simpson's viability as a franchise. Universal appears to be changing a bit in this regard. They are actively pursuing a more synergistic route with in-house properties (minus juggernauts like HP, Marvel, and kind of Nintendo). IMO there simply is no reason to keep Simpsons around much longer, it already feels dated.
2. The Marvel contract is very different from the Simpsons, so that would be dumb to compare the two
3. That is true, but just on a mechanical level, the ride is oooold. It feels old, it looks old, it needs to be flattened

End of the day, I do see Simpsons going sooner rather than later.

But you are right, Disney and Universal make money regardless of who has the property and Disney's intentions with Simpsons are much different,

I doubt we'd ever see them in a Disney park

Reactions: Jake S and Nico
Maybe I should ask @Brian G. who his original sources were back during the merger. :lol:

So far, all articles I can find either just reference “rumors” or point directly back to or quote Brian. My self-made mission of sourcing rumors seems to be at an impasse lol.

Maybe I should ask @Brian G. who his original sources were back during the merger. :lol:

So far, all articles I can find either just reference “rumors” or point directly back to or quote Brian. My self-made mission of sourcing rumors seems to be at an impasse lol.
So making sure... Do you want me to clarify the alleged "20 Year" length?

We do know there is an end date, but the contract doesn't outright say the timeframe - just that there is a "remaining term". Per connects, the contract is for 20 years which allegedly is the standard in agreements like this. For example, Potter is for 20 but has different parameters than what we've found for Fox/Simpsons.
How do the parameters differ with Potter vs Simpsons?

Reactions: shiekra38