The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That “further back” part is the wrinkle. Simpsons is butt-up to the access road that leads to the Simpsons gate. That road leads to the loading/dumpsters for FFB so you don’t really want to close it off too much.

I can actually see a new show building encroaching further into the park (into the queue space) before going further back. Further back impacts the restaurant, Animal Actors and the Destination Dreamworks show-space.

I've always held the belief that a new ride building would be built where the Sprung Tents are, and the current Simpsons Ride building area will be turned into the land/facades.

After I posted my previous comment, I even thought "wait maybe it'd be more feasible to stretch a bit forward."

Not that it'd be easy, but I'd probably be easier to widen the guest walkways a bit rather than encroach on back-of-house stuff.

This is what I've got:

View attachment 18635

Anyone know what kind of space SLOP takes up?
From this air shot image you could expand rightward, a little backward and. a little forward. The would undoubtably be bigger than SLOP

The lagoon could even be reconfigured or partially filled in to create more space...
How exactly would they reconfigure the lagoon?

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Adjust the shore line-- or fill in parts of it. Since they don't have a stunt show in the lagoon anymore it doesn't need to be nearly as big as it is. Basically end it where the bridge is now and gain space for larger show buildings since they're backed up to the property line.
Like Legacy said, the main issue would be expanding backwards into the access road. But I definitely think they could fit something like SLOP there easily.
That access road is necessary since it's also a fire access road (as are the gates next to FFL stadium). Yes, SLOP could fit easily, but I don't see them adding SLOP. I think the whole MiB/Simpsons/Animal Actors area turns into a new land, not just a single new attraction. Moving the walkways out to where the bridge is now and filling in that section of the lagoon gives them a "village" area in front of any show buildings. Something like LotR of some of the additional Nintendo properties wouldn't just be an attraction in a show building, but follow the Potter model of a themed area with shops and food as well.

Bio is posting new photos today and one of them shows you just how much space they could have up there:

Last edited:
A part of me wishes they would revisit the BTTF coaster concept as a replacement, but I think all hope of classic IPs like BTTF and Jaws returning went out the window a long time ago.
While it’s still very unlikely, I don’t think a revival of something BttF in the parks is truly out the window.

I definitely think Universal is slowly realizing how powerful nostalgia is, and even though this is really only showing through their merch offerings right now I don’t think a new attraction based of any “retro” property could be far off. I would be shocked if Jaws, BttF, and E.T. merch weren’t outselling F&F, Bourne, MIB, Mummy, Fallon, and Rockit stuff.

Eventually Universal is going to wear themselves thin only using “current” properties across 3 theme parks, and they’re already constructing a land based on a 100+ year old franchise in their newest park. I’d find it hard to believe at least one person at Creative hasn’t at least thought of a BttF concept replacing Simpsons if the contract really is coming to a close in 2028.

Adjust the shore line-- or fill in parts of it. Since they don't have a stunt show in the lagoon anymore it doesn't need to be nearly as big as it is. Basically end it where the bridge is now and gain space for larger show buildings since they're backed up to the property line.

That access road is necessary since it's also a fire access road (as are the gates next to FFL stadium). Yes, SLOP could fit easily, but I don't see them adding SLOP. I think the whole MiB/Simpsons/Animal Actors area turns into a new land, not just a single new attraction. Moving the walkways out to where the bridge is now and filling in that section of the lagoon gives them a "village" area in front of any show buildings. Something like LotR of some of the additional Nintendo properties wouldn't just be an attraction in a show building, but follow the Potter model of a themed area with shops and food as well.

Bio is posting new photos today and one of them shows you just how much space they could have up there:

Personally, I'm not sure they'd even need to combine everything into 1 land.

FF + MIB take up roughly the same amount of space as Diagon Alley does, which is crazy to think about.

The backstage area with the spring tents could be cleared out and used for the showbuilding of a massive E ticket. Though considering how large the plot of land is maybe it could also share a smaller building with a C to D ticket ride if the new DWA area gets an expansion
While it’s still very unlikely, I don’t think a revival of something BttF in the parks is truly out the window.

I definitely think Universal is slowly realizing how powerful nostalgia is, and even though this is really only showing through their merch offerings right now I don’t think a new attraction based of any “retro” property could be far off. I would be shocked if Jaws, BttF, and E.T. merch weren’t outselling F&F, Bourne, MIB, Mummy, Fallon, and Rockit stuff.

Eventually Universal is going to wear themselves thin only using “current” properties across 3 theme parks, and they’re already constructing a land based on a 100+ year old franchise in their newest park. I’d find it hard to believe at least one person at Creative hasn’t at least thought of a BttF concept replacing Simpsons if the contract really is coming to a close in 2028.
What could a new BTTF ride be about? And I assume this would use a SCOOP ride.

In regards to the Simpsons contract, I wonder if the ride closes down at one park, would it have to close at the other? I ask this as I see USH's Simpsons area closing (maybe a good 2 years in 2026) earlier than USF's for a couple of reasons. The first being USH's building is in abysmal shape due to eroding thanks to being poached atop a hill, and second the LA Olympics in 2028. For those who don't follow the USH forums, a lot of people on it have speculated the to do list at USH goes something like this so far: F&F coaster in 2024, 2025 off year, 2026 DK expansion to SNW, 2027 off year, 2028 Simpsons replacement. @Freak said he thinks the Simpsons contract would expire in May of 2028 as it would have been 20 years since the ride opened in 2008. Plus I would imagine management at USH would want some new attraction to market for 2028 alongside the olympics.

Honestly I don't see any "off years" for USH. They may get small stuff for some of those, but I don't see them resting on their laurels, especially with the 2028 Olympics in LA as a chance to showcase the park as part of the coverage (lots of great "athletes relaxing between events" shots in the park/CityWalk)

Reactions: shiekra38
The same way Disney reconfigures retention ponds. Basically, they can fill in the lagoon and create more park space, but they then have to make up for the space that they just took away from the lagoon in some way I believe.

Reactions: shiekra38
The same way Disney reconfigures retention ponds. Basically, they can fill in the lagoon and create more park space, but they then have to make up for the space that they just took away from the lagoon in some way I believe.
I think that depends whether it's considered a storm water retention pond or not. I don't believe either of the lagoons in the theme parks are actually retention ponds since neither is supposed to contain runoff, just decorative water features. The canal connecting CityWalk and the hotels I believe is the retention pond for most of the property.

Honestly I don't see any "off years" for USH. They may get small stuff for some of those, but I don't see them resting on their laurels, especially with the 2028 Olympics in LA as a chance to showcase the park as part of the coverage (lots of great "athletes relaxing between events" shots in the park/CityWalk)
One attraction per year isn't *that* crazy

Plus it helps attendance, typically

Apparently Legacy has implied that Springfield could be a future location for Pokémon. I’d be down. We’d get a simulator to experience some of the Pokémon. I would love to see them replace Men in Black with it too. You could keep the same ride structure. The Professor has created a fun that can shoot Pokéballs and your goal is to capture as many Pokémon as possible.

Apparently Legacy has implied that Springfield could be a future location for Pokémon. I’d be down. We’d get a simulator to experience some of the Pokémon. I would love to see them replace Men in Black with it too. You could keep the same ride structure. The Professor has created a fun that can shoot Pokéballs and your goal is to capture as many Pokémon as possible.
While I’m down for a Pokémon ride, another simulator ride is the absolute last thing this park needs.

Eek, would hate to see Pokemon take down 2 rides, especially if one is just a retheme of an ancient simulator. Hope it comes as an expansion to EU instead.