Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

I think Universal should bring back BTTF with the launch coaster concept to resurrect the park's World Expo area.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The only acceptable situation to sacrifice MIB would be if we got a Ghostbusters shooting dark ride that would do all the “same things” that MIB does, if not better.
This would help resurrect World Expo as well. Could have a whole new "land" with a BTTF coaster and a GB shooter dark ride.
Pokemon could expand back into that plot between MIB and Springfield (and absorb Springfield if need be).

No need to sacrifice MIB for it.
While it wouldn't be the end of the world, doing that would get rid of the Sprungs. I would hate to see MIB go, but as @Freak said, a GB shooter dark ride would be a worthy replacement and the only acceptable one, especially for me. Pokémon should've taken over KidZone, but the expansion plot next to SNW at EU would work.

I don't think Pokémon is worthy of replacing MIB.

Eek, would hate to see Pokemon take down 2 rides, especially if one is just a retheme of an ancient simulator. Hope it comes as an expansion to EU instead.
Its been established Simpsons will be demolished when it closes. I bet Universal wants to move from from an almost 40 year old simulator clearly on it's last legs to a more dark ride like attraction.
Pokemon could expand back into that plot between MIB and Springfield (and absorb Springfield if need be).

No need to sacrifice MIB for it.
Only time will tell what happens to Springfield and World Expo whether Pokemon takes it over it or not. Depending on what IP they settle on, it would not surprise me if those two areas get combined to make one huge area. with three attractions. One in the Simpsons plot, one that takes over FFL and MIB and one that goes in the plot where the spring tents are. MIB is a great ride but considering how Uni seemingly wants to move away from licensed IP to more in house stuff, It would not be a shock if it goes away eventually. But knowing Universal's recent track record, I am sure it's replacement will be great. And you have a modern day successor to MIB in MK at EU.

Its been established Simpsons will be demolished when it closes. I bet Universal wants to move from from an almost 40 year old simulator clearly on it's last legs to a more dark ride like attraction.

Only time will tell what happens to Springfield and World Expo whether Pokemon takes it over it or not. Depending on what IP they settle on, it would not surprise me if those two areas get combined to make one huge area. with three attractions. One in the Simpsons plot, one that takes over FFL and MIB and one that goes in the plot where the spring tents are. MIB is a great ride but considering how Uni seemingly wants to move away from licensed IP to more in house stuff, It would not be a shock if it goes away eventually. But knowing Universal's recent track record, I am sure it's replacement will be great. And you have a modern day successor to MIB in MK at EU.
Unless Disney decides to withdraw their ownership of 20th Century (which would involve dividing Disney's film and TV unit in order to sell off 20th and its related units). In fact, if Disney does end up selling their Hulu stake (and that's very slowly becoming a reality), then they would've bought TCS for nothing. It wouldn't even make sense for them to buy said studio just to gain more money from licensing content, which is the new strategy they announced.

It most definitely has not been established. Nobody outside of Universal Creative knows anything about the future of the area. Everything in this thread so far has just been speculation.

It most definitely has not been established. Nobody outside of Universal Creative knows anything about the future of the area. Everything in this thread so far has just been speculation.
I meant was that most people of this thread predict that. While we don't know if they will keep the shell of the building and find some way to repurpose it, the almost 40 year old simulators by 2028 will more than certainly be retired do to their condition. I don't think Uni want to put any more money into it kind of like how when a car gets up there in age, you feel less inclined to put work into it and instead buy a new car.

Universal seem to be spreading HP across multiple parks and have seen huge success with it. I could certainly see them doing the same here, where each park has a different part of the universe be it Harry Potter, Dreamworks, or now Nintendo.

Simpsons has run its course, heck it was pretty close to running its course back when it was built. Time for something fresh!

Ok one thing I am still trying to wrap my head around is how the land with Simpsons and MIB will be reconfigured when Simpsons time comes. So far here is what I have come up with based on posts in this thread thus far:
1. The Simpsons replacement just takes over that part only and spares MIB for the time being. Depending on the scale of the attraction they can stay within the parameters of the current Simpsons plot and expand into where the queue currently is or if they are ambitious expand leftwards into the area with the spring tents. But Universal may want to use that plot for a large scale expansion to USF and if they expand the Simpsons replacement into it that rules it out for a large scale land in that plot.
2. MIB and Simpsons go off around the same time for a large new land. MIB and the FFL stage could be leveled for a huge E ticket alone. They could use the plot of land where the spring tents are as part of this new land. The plot looks like it could house 2 to 3 decent sized attractions comfortably. Or they can use the plot of land for another E ticket like an Indoor rollercoaster depending on the IP that takes it over.
3 MIB and Simpsons are combined into one land but the spring tent area is spared for another completely different land down the line. They will have to be careful with theming to make sure that there is a seamless transition between the two lands.

This is what I laid out. Of those three options, what one do you think is most likely in regards to how that whole area with Simpsons, MIB and the Spring tents gets used for USF's future?

Ok one thing I am still trying to wrap my head around is how the land with Simpsons and MIB will be reconfigured when Simpsons time comes. So far here is what I have come up with based on posts in this thread thus far:
1. The Simpsons replacement just takes over that part only and spares MIB for the time being. Depending on the scale of the attraction they can stay within the parameters of the current Simpsons plot and expand into where the queue currently is or if they are ambitious expand leftwards into the area with the spring tents. But Universal may want to use that plot for a large scale expansion to USF and if they expand the Simpsons replacement into it that rules it out for a large scale land in that plot.
2. MIB and Simpsons go off around the same time for a large new land. MIB and the FFL stage could be leveled for a huge E ticket alone. They could use the plot of land where the spring tents are as part of this new land. The plot looks like it could house 2 to 3 decent sized attractions comfortably. Or they can use the plot of land for another E ticket like an Indoor rollercoaster depending on the IP that takes it over.
3 MIB and Simpsons are combined into one land but the spring tent area is spared for another completely different land down the line. They will have to be careful with theming to make sure that there is a seamless transition between the two lands.

This is what I laid out. Of those three options, what one do you think is most likely in regards to how that whole area with Simpsons, MIB and the Spring tents gets used for USF's future?
My guess would be 1!

My guess would be 1!
After thinking it through myself I think 1 is the best option. If they expand towards where the current Simpsons queue is and also take out AA that would be a decent sized attraction and they could still have the area with the spring tents for a large scale expansion to USF down the road. The spring tent area is a ripe area for a large land and I doubt Universal would want to pass that opportunity up. Plus if Simpsons becomes more Dreamworks like Shrek, It would not be a large enough IP (even if Shrek 5 makes bank) to justify taking out MIB and the FF stage as well.
I think Animal Actors goes when Simpsons goes, not MIB.
If AA goes off around the same times as Simpsons, how would reconfigure the plot of land to use with a Simpsons replacement? You would have to build around FFB to annex it to the showbuilding? maybe use the AA plot for the queue/entrance with the main ride itself taking place in the Simpsons plot?

After thinking it through myself I think 1 is the best option. If they expand towards where the current Simpsons queue is and also take out AA that would be a decent sized attraction and they could still have the area with the spring tents for a large scale expansion to USF down the road. The spring tent area is a ripe area for a large land and I doubt Universal would want to pass that opportunity up. Plus if Simpsons becomes more Dreamworks like Shrek, It would not be a large enough IP (even if Shrek 5 makes bank) to justify taking out MIB and the FF stage as well.

If AA goes off around the same times as Simpsons, how would reconfigure the plot of land to use with a Simpsons replacement? You would have to build around FFB to annex it to the showbuilding? maybe use the AA plot for the queue/entrance with the main ride itself taking place in the Simpsons plot?
If they are hypothetically tearing down AA, I don’t see a problem with them also leveling FFB. In my mind, if Simpsons ever goes, it’ll be more like Amity to Diagon. I’m biased because this is what I want/think Studios needs. Kidzone is getting a retheme. I don’t need a second retheme next door. FFB was already a retheme.

I also never really understood the knockdown Simpsons and MIB argument because you’re effectively cutting off any future expansion in the only remaining expansion plot behind.

If they are hypothetically tearing down AA, I don’t see a problem with them also leveling FFB. In my mind, if Simpsons ever goes, it’ll be more like Amity to Diagon. I’m biased because this is what I want/think Studios needs. Kidzone is getting a retheme. I don’t need a second retheme next door. FFB was already a retheme.

I also never really understood the knockdown Simpsons and MIB argument because you’re effectively cutting off any future expansion in the only remaining expansion plot behind.
That makes sense. Tearing down all three of these buildings will enable Universal to do a massive attraction. I would hope Universal will take this opportunity and create a large scale family dark ride on par with MMRR. The design would be interesting as they would have to build around Dreamworks Destination. Or they could level that as well for any hypothetical Simpsons replacement. If DW destination reopens with the rest of KZ and is not upgraded in the slightest, I would say it is possible it gets leveled as part of a Simpsons replacement.

That makes sense. Tearing down all three of these buildings will enable Universal to do a massive attraction. I would hope Universal will take this opportunity and create a large scale family dark ride on par with MMRR. The design would be interesting as they would have to build around Dreamworks Destination. Or they could level that as well for any hypothetical Simpsons replacement. If DW destination reopens with the rest of KZ and is not upgraded in the slightest, I would say it is possible it gets leveled as part of a Simpsons replacement.
What is with your obsession with MMRR ?

Why do you have obsession with MMRR ?
A large scale dark ride that most if not all families can do as it doesn't have tons of motion like a SCOOP which enables it to have no height requirement. USF needs more things like that. MK and SLOP are a good step in the right direction but right now USF does not have a lot of that stuff. There is ET and from what it sounds like Villain Con but that's it. Knowing the job Universal did with SLOP they would nail it.

Could Stranger Things work?
I always thought Stranger Things would be one of outside IPs Universal would be interested in since its mainstream popular show that appeals to a wide age range. Though since it's possible that ST's popularity will die out after season 5, so it's probably a risky investment right now. They did just announce a spin-off and a stage play recently, so it's possible it'll become another pop culture mainstay