The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wouldn't surprise me to see the food & beverage and merchandise stay without a ride. People LOVE the merch, taking photos, Duff, but the ride isn't as popular as it used to be.
I don't think FFB will stay if the Simpsons Ride proper goes. While no one really knows the full details of the Fox contract other than it expires in 2028, I am pretty sure one of the terms is if the ride proper goes, so does all of Springfield and any Simpsons representation in the parks.

I don't think FFB will stay if the Simpsons Ride proper goes. While no one really knows the full details of the Fox contract other than it expires in 2028, I am pretty sure one of the terms is if the ride proper goes, so does all of Springfield and any Simpsons representation in the parks.

You can extend the contract out to include just the food, shops, while not needing to keep the ride itself.

Rethemed easily, yes. But will another IP get anywhere close to the huge numbers Simpsons pulls in? The previous restaurant didn't do well, and liquor/beer sales were zilch.

The International Food & Film Festival was the gold standard of quick service theme park dining ok!

International Food & Film Festival sounds like a great and unique food festival though lol

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Just because somethings a big IP doesn't guarantee it will translate into huge food/beverage/merchandise sales. Some stuff just doesn't fit well. ...See food/bev/merch sales for SLOP, F&F, MIB, Mummy etc....
Looks at the Toad Cafe and Mario popcorn bucket lines

But even moving on from Universal, have you been watching the new Toontown coverage? The lines for the overpriced but very cool picnic baskets are insane. I love Simpsons but they are not even the number one selling IP at Universal so I think you guys are ignoring coverage of current theme park goers to see the forest through the trees.

But even moving on from Universal, have you been watching the new Toontown coverage? The lines for the overpriced but very cool picnic baskets are insane. I love Simpsons but they are not even the number one selling IP at Universal so I think you guys are ignoring coverage of current theme park goers to see the forest through the trees.
Yes, but Potter & Nintendo are the exception, not the rule. If you have an IP, and Potter & Nintendo are rented like Simpsons, and not Universal IP's, it makes good business sense to try to retain what has a history of making lots and lots of money.

Yes, but Potter & Nintendo are the exception, not the rule. If you have an IP, and Potter & Nintendo are rented like Simpsons, and not Universal IP's, it makes good business sense to try to retain what has a history of making lots and lots of money.
Sure which is why I think one of those IP's will be getting more then just a few lands/areas in the parks. I think Universal in the next few years will try out even smaller Ips from Nintendo and if they sell then cool they have zero reasons to keep simpsons unless Disney makes them a good deal.

Also I think many things are now up in the air and the next year or two will have many factors that push Universal to go with more Nintendo stuff or they might not but I feel like if USH keeps having sold out days, increase express sales, and power band keep flying off the shelves and the restaurant keeps selling a huge amount of instagramable food then I don't understand how you could see that data and use it for Simpsons land.

Sure which is why I think one of those IP's will be getting more then just a few lands/areas in the parks. I think Universal in the next few years will try out even smaller Ips from Nintendo and if they sell then cool they have zero reasons to keep simpsons unless Disney makes them a good deal.

Also I think many things are now up in the air and the next year or two will have many factors that push Universal to go with more Nintendo stuff or they might not but I feel like if USH keeps having sold out days, increase express sales, and power band keep flying off the shelves and the restaurant keeps selling a huge amount of instagramable food then I don't understand how you could see that data and use it for Simpsons land.
It's interesting, and bottom line factual, that the IP's that Universal pays licensing fees to use (Potter, Marvel, Simpsons, Dr. Suess, Nintendo (future), are better moneymakers than most of their own IP's, with DM/Minions being the
only exception that comes close to those licensed IP's.

Spongebob is really the only other IP that could move the needle with food & beverage.

Disney has the power to release any piece of merch/food and have enough people line up without even thinking about it.

There are probably hundreds of other concepts and IPs that would be much better than the garbage they sell at Fast Food Boulevard, but there's very few IPs left that will be able to sell as many pink donuts and duff beers as they currently do.

It's interesting, and bottom line factual, that the IP's that Universal pays licensing fees to use (Potter, Marvel, Simpsons, Dr. Suess, Nintendo (future), are better moneymakers than most of their own IP's, with DM/Minions being the
only exception that comes close to those licensed IP's.
To be fair, I think part of it is on Universal.

Look at Bad Guys or Puss in Boots 2. Both films were liked the second one was even nominated for the Oscars but I didn't see even meet and Greets in the parks for either of these....or even cut outs you could take a picture with

They have a Dream works theater and besides posters said nothing about these films. If they want people to love the characters more Kids need to meet them and you need to put them places in your parks.

Disney has the power to release any piece of merch/food and have enough people line up without even thinking about it.

There are probably hundreds of other concepts and IPs that would be much better than the garbage they sell at Fast Food Boulevard, but there's very few IPs left that will be able to sell as many pink donuts and duff beers as they currently do.
The Mario Drinks besides having a mustache, have nothing to do with Mario yet people pay 15 bucks a pop for soda......so it can be done you just need to make or buy stronger IPs.....which Universal has done they have tonssssss of Ips to use now and just don't use them

Also Universal should want to become like Disney where they can sell more merch for higher prices. I for one would have bought a themed drink to Puss in Boots if it was something I could bring home after. Megan was huge but I dont see Megan Merch, they are waiting for Hollywood? Why make a shirt with the doll dancing and have it out now, make themed drinks near the Tram for Jupiter's Claim. Universal needs to try before people here call it quits and say they can't do anything else but simpsons

To be fair, I think part of it is on Universal.

Look at Bad Guys or Puss in Boots 2. Both films were liked the second one was even nominated for the Oscars but I didn't see even meet and Greets in the parks for either of these....or even cut outs you could take a picture with

They have a Dream works theater and besides posters said nothing about these films. If they want people to love the characters more Kids need to meet them and you need to put them places in your parks.

The Mario Drinks besides having a mustache, have nothing to do with Mario yet people pay 15 bucks a pop for soda......so it can be done you just need to make or buy stronger IPs.....which Universal has done they have tonssssss of Ips to use now and just don't use them

Also Universal should want to become like Disney where they can sell more merch for higher prices. I for one would have bought a themed drink to Puss in Boots if it was something I could bring home after. Megan was huge but I dont see Megan Merch, they are waiting for Hollywood? Why make a shirt with the doll dancing and have it out now, make themed drinks near the Tram for Jupiter's Claim. Universal needs to try before people here call it quits and say they can't do anything else but simpsons

I agree with you that Universal is really bad at synergy between their brands and reflecting them inside the parks. Mostly because from a corporate perspective they want to focus on what's hot versus featuring legacy IPs

I agree with you that Universal is really bad at synergy between their brands and reflecting them inside the parks. Mostly because from a corporate perspective they want to focus on what's hot versus featuring legacy IPs

I think this is changing. Looking at you HTTYD live action remake.

I think this is changing. Looking at you HTTYD live action remake.
I hope so but I literally can't remember the last time they really did much for their own film in the parks. Nope kinda comes close but it only had like 2 racks of t shirts and once they were gone they never came back, we never got drinks/food themed to the film or like a cool photo op Poster where it says "Nope" and you stand in the poster to take a picture of you looking up at the cloud.
71ntPgCHTIL.jpg

Puss and boots ignored, Bad Guys ignored, Megan Ignored, Heck they didn't even do anything for Jurassic World 3....like nothing in park.

Disney's branding, name identification, and marketing has been extraordinary for quite some time. Tough comparison. Of course, Universal could do more in the way of promotions etc., but that doesn't necessarily guarantee success, thus they've had to depend on outside licensing of popular brands. But, even though they have to pay licensing fees, on the whole, that IP leasing has been very successful. Adding their own IP's is gravy, so that helps. But their own IP's will probably
never be strong enough, brand wise, to carry their theme parks like Disney does. Heck, Disney has soooo many strong IP's, that they actually underutilize many of them.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX