The new normal | Inside Universal Forums

The new normal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

agentj

Platinum Member
Apr 24, 2012
Rhode Island
This is our 2nd week here and some observations. Crowds are above normal with tons of strollers. We have spoken to many Disney people who are dropping their Disney passes for Universal. Been on the Floats a few times and it's a sea of people out there. We haven't been to Disney in over 10 years, universal about 4 times a year. Sort of mixed feelings. Happy for Uni but crowds and Hotel prices a bummer.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is our 2nd week here and some observations. Crowds are above normal with tons of strollers. We have spoken to many Disney people who are dropping their Disney passes for Universal. Been on the Floats a few times and it's a sea of people out there. We haven't been to Disney in over 10 years, universal about 4 times a year. Sort of mixed feelings. Happy for Uni but crowds and Hotel prices a bummer.

Well, you are also visiting during Peak Spring Break

I hear its spring beak...but is Spring break like two months now? It used to be closer to the Easter weekend which is next month.

March is usually more of a college spring break, and april is more of a k-12 spring break. There's some overlap, but that's the bulk of it.

I used to go late April when it wasn’t too busy. Went during sprint break, entirely different experience. You’re in busy season, I bet the parks can only do so much during peak business frankly.

I fully acknowledge that this is spring break time. But the parks and hotels are busier than we have ever experienced during these weeks. Spring breakers do not fill up Portofino nor fill the parks with strollers. We have spoken to many guests who said they now come to Universal because they are done with Disney.

I fully acknowledge that this is spring break time. But the parks and hotels are busier than we have ever experienced during these weeks. Spring breakers do not fill up Portofino nor fill the parks with strollers. We have spoken to many guests who said they now come to Universal because they are done with Disney.
Yes. Heard the same about Disney from many hotel guests we spoke to when we were there last June and November. Lots of Universal first timers, and they were pleasantly surprised and satisfied.. And yes, in June there were more strollers at Universal than I had seen on past vacations. So many, that Alene and I commented on the fact. November, not that many though.

Reactions: agentj
Universal needs to invest in childrens' attractions that are relevant and decent. You really only have Seuss Landing, Camp Jurassic and the "mom what is this bird or this weird looking alien" Kidzone area of the park.

Yes - I know Universal isn't targeting children as their main target... but they've already defined themselves as the "place to be" for teens/young adults.

Reactions: Bort and UNIrd
Universal needs to invest in childrens' attractions that are relevant and decent. You really only have Seuss Landing, Camp Jurassic and the "mom what is this bird or this weird looking alien" Kidzone area of the park.

Yes - I know Universal isn't targeting children as their main target... but they've already defined themselves as the "place to be" for teens/young adults.

By how young do you mean by "children?" I could get into pretty much everything at Uni by 10.

Sorry to double post, but are crowds still at a healthy level? I’m concerned that the antics of a certain world leader will cripple attendance again.

Sorry to double post, but are crowds still at a healthy level? I’m concerned that certain events will negatively impact things.
Despite the concert series ending a month ago, USF has been the most consistently busy (even on random weekdays) during this Mardi Gras than i've ever seen before this time of year. So i'd say things are healthy for business.

Despite the concert series ending a month ago, USF has been the most consistently busy (even on random weekdays) during this Mardi Gras than i've ever seen before this time of year. So i'd say things are healthy for business.
It helps they way they stepped up the Mardi Gras event these last few years. Word is out it is a can't miss event along with Sea World.

• Love
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
March is usually more of a college spring break, and april is more of a k-12 spring break. There's some overlap, but that's the bulk of it.
our spring break (SWMO) is early-mid march. Did a west coast cruise March 12-19 and felt like 90% of the people on that ship were teachers on spring break LOL-lots from Nevada, Arizona but good amount from Florida too

I just got back from Universal on Wednesday. We only went from Monday to Wednesday and I totally expected high crowds on Monday and maybe Tuesday. Both Tuesday and Wednesday were busier than Monday (the day after Easter) We have done Universal at different times during the year and I have never seen crowds like this. Thankfully our only plans were to experience the Mardi Gras offerings.

This weekend has been dead. I hope that’s because of a lull between Spring Break and Summer crowds and not (at least not mainly) geopolitics.

This weekend has been dead. I hope that’s because of a lull between Spring Break and Summer crowds and not (at least not mainly) geopolitics.
According to Touring Plans, it appears WDW has been significantly slower the past week or two. BUT, this time period is traditionally slower for Orlando and doesn't kick into a higher gear until the days before Memorial Day. Kind of the old normal.

According to Touring Plans, it appears WDW has been significantly slower the past week or two. BUT, this time period is traditionally slower for Orlando and doesn't kick into a higher gear until the days before Memorial Day. Kind of the old normal.

I just hate the feeling that I have to choose between enjoyable crowd levels and the parks being in good financial health (see: not 2020). Anyone else have this dilemma?

Last edited: