The State of Epcot | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Obviously Epcot has some issues. Discuss away what your problem with the park is (if any) and what you feel could help fix it

Epcot's problem is it's a park without an identity, and I don't think it can ever get one back.

It's going to be a mess from here on out, IMO. They could add some decent rides here or there, but I don't think it will ever be more than middling as a complete park.

Too many empty buildings or attractions no one cares about. Personally I think they need to fix the empty buildings first. Start with Body Wars building and then move to the innovations pavilions. Once that is done they need to then address imaginations. Sea needs to a refurbish, but I think Nemo is popular enough IP that can wait for way into the future. But the tanks need serious help and more cool fish. Then add 2 rides in the countries and update all the films to be more up to date. In the end I think Future world should get 3 or 4 more rides and 1 or 2 smaller shows. The countries should get 2 rides. And refurbishments should happen to Seas and the country films.

And to Jungleskip, I think it can get an identity. The Future World should be about science and technology. I think the rides and shows should all have this concept in mind. Then you have the countries which is history and geography. I think it can still be a learning park, but still have rides and stuff that make it fun for every age. And when I talk about Science and I am talking about the earth sciences too, so they can still have the Land, Sea, etc. I think over where Test Track more physics/energy/space stuff, then in the middle technology stuff.

I love world showcase as is. Keep the rides in future world. Just make sure the rides are from the future. lol.

Tron coaster
Autonomous car experience
Keep test trac
Mission space can stay

I made the argument about world showcase on the last thread and I still think it's a problem. Like it or not, Epcot today, is a theme park, If not there wouldn't be rides in future world just tech demos. Having 150 acres of a theme park with only two little rides is a problem. Yes it's more of a mall but your acting like Disney hasn't already disneyfied these cultures already, adding two or three good rides would seriously only help it become better than it is. The original idea of Epcot died when it first opened, it's time to move on from it.

Future world obviously needs work too, as one of you said (sorry I forgot who) there's not one above decent ride there Besides test track and soarin. They shouldn't close rides but use the space they haven't used to update the place. After MGM is finished, Epcot needs to be taken account of

Fix Future World, then WS. At first I thought of the opposite, but WS is at least nice to walk through. Future World can be downright depressing at times. I'd do this for FW:

Step 2: Start with Imagination. Journey Into Imagination is one of the worst rides at the resort and needs to go. The theater is currently playing shorts that you can find on Blu-Ray. This needs to change. I know having characters in Epcot is a taboo subject, but how much longer can we go on without new rides? Inside Out is the perfect fit for the pavilion. Figment can stay in some capacity as well.
Step 3: Fix Energy. This ride is so outdated Alex Trebek still has a mustache. Completely gut the building and make a modern version of Adventure Thru Inner Space.
Step 4: Add Tokyo's Finding Dory simulator to The Seas. Even though it'd be the third simulator in the park, Future World needs all it can get.
Step 5: Replace Circle of Life with a new show. It's been there for 20 years, we need something new.
Step 6: Do something with Wonders of Life. Enough of this event center crap; the building has had no attractions in nearly a decade and needs something done.
Step 7: Turn Innoventions into something worthwhile. Sum of All Thrills can stay, the rest needs an overhaul. Making it a technology exhibit with some of the world's leading companies would be great. Some good dining would be nice too.
Step 8: Turn Oddyssey into a high end restaurant. Future World needs better dining.

Fix Future World, then WS. At first I thought of the opposite, but WS is at least nice to walk through. Future World can be downright depressing at times. I'd do this for FW:

Step 2: Start with Imagination. Journey Into Imagination is one of the worst rides at the resort and needs to go. The theater is currently playing shorts that you can find on Blu-Ray. This needs to change. I know having characters in Epcot is a taboo subject, but how much longer can we go on without new rides? Inside Out is the perfect fit for the pavilion. Figment can stay in some capacity as well.
Step 3: Fix Energy. This ride is so outdated Alex Trebek still has a mustache. Completely gut the building and make a modern version of Adventure Thru Inner Space.
Step 4: Add Tokyo's Finding Dory simulator to The Seas. Even though it'd be the third simulator in the park, Future World needs all it can get.
Step 5: Replace Circle of Life with a new show. It's been there for 20 years, we need something new.
Step 6: Do something with Wonders of Life. Enough of this event center crap; the building has had no attractions in nearly a decade and needs something done.
Step 7: Turn Innoventions into something worthwhile. Sum of All Thrills can stay, the rest needs an overhaul. Making it a technology exhibit with some of the world's leading companies would be great. Some good dining would be nice too.
Step 8: Turn Oddyssey into a high end restaurant. Future World needs better dining.

I like some of your ideas. I do not think Future World needs dining though. There is a crapload of dining in Epcot and they have Living with the Land and the Seas (I think Seas needs a refurb and new menu though) in future world. I don't think anything should turn into more eating. I think we need shows and rides.

Circle of Life should be updated and use the Lion Guard to do the same message. It is a new show on Disney and I think it would fit perfectly and kids would love it.

I wouldn't touch the Nemo ride right now. I think that would be a in the future, as I feel there are way more holes in the park that need fixed before that one.

But I love the inside out Imagination redo and Fixing energy. I would love innovations to be a technology exhibit, but honestly I don't think companies want to sponsor stuff in there anymore which is why stuff has closed down in there.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I made the argument about world showcase on the last thread and I still think it's a problem. Like it or not, Epcot today, is a theme park, If not there wouldn't be rides in future world just tech demos. Having 150 acres of a theme park with only two little rides is a problem. Yes it's more of a mall but your acting like Disney hasn't already disneyfied these cultures already, adding two or three good rides would seriously only help it become better than it is. The original idea of Epcot died when it first opened, it's time to move on from it.

Future world obviously needs work too, as one of you said (sorry I forgot who) there's not one above decent ride there Besides test track and soarin. They shouldn't close rides but use the space they haven't used to update the place. After MGM is finished, Epcot needs to be taken account of

Well adding a 2-3 rides is a bit different from your earlier statement that each country needs a ride. :lol:

Future World is the biggest problem in my opinion right now. I can deal with a lack of rides in WS (although Frozen is going to be a absolute DISASTER), but the situation in FW simply cannot continue.

Unfortunately, We likely won't see any significant overhaul/project until DHS is nearing completion.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
The problem with the Future World concept is the same problem the Disney Kingdom Parks have with their weakest land, Tomorrow Land. Technical, scientific, engineering, computer & robotic advances are so fast now that any attraction based on a Future World concept is quickly left in the dust and becomes a dinosaur. They probably need to change the title and concept of that entire half of the park, otherwise it will always end up as an anachronism. In fact, even the name Epcot, may need to change. World Showcase is an easy fix. Two new E or D ticket attractions themed to an existing country would fix that part of the park.

Tear down Mission Space and make room for Light Coasters.
GUT the Imagination Pavilion and make a large Inside Out ride. 60% of that building is vacant.
Drain the giant fish tank, put new glass, new interior structure to the Seas...revamp that finding nemo ride.
Remove Jib Jab from Spaceship Earth, and make a really grand finale again.
Take Ellen out of Universe of Energy, update the film or get rid of it all together. Expand the "ride" portion

The problem with the Future World concept is the same problem the Disney Kingdom Parks have with their weakest land, Tomorrow Land. Technical, scientific, engineering, computer & robotic advances are so fast now that any attraction based on a Future World concept is quickly left in the dust and becomes a dinosaur. They probably need to change the title and concept of that entire half of the park, otherwise it will always end up as an anachronism. In fact, even the name Epcot, may need to change. World Showcase is an easy fix. Two new E or D ticket attractions themed to an existing country would fix that part of the park.

Agreed, which is why I stated that Sciences include the Earth sciences because those advances are not as fast. I think only the middle part of the park (innovation pavilions) should focus on the fast moving techs. And those should be more shows than they are rides so that they don't get outdated since they can be updated and changed more often. Then over on the other side do physics (test track is a good example of this), space (which doesn't advance as quickly), and energy (which again basic concepts of energy don't change as often). So that it doesn't get outdated as quickly as it did.

Reminds me of that old rumor of changing Future World into Discoveryland.

Honestly, WS isn't broken. As Mad Dog said, it's an easy assignment, a few D/E's around the Showcase and you're set for awhile. Honestly, the World Showcase sells itself for the most part.

Future World though is fundamentally cracked and beyond just a simple fix like WS can do at this point.

on second thought lets just make Future World, Star Wars World.

Spaceship Earth can be converted to a Death Star Tour
Mission Space can be converted into an Escape Pod simulator that lands on Tattoine (sp?)
Imagination Can be turned into a larger Launch Bay complete with Movie theater showing trailers for the multiple star wars films planned until the end of time.
The Seas can be a visit to the underwater city where Jar Jar lives
The Land can discuss the possibilities of moisture farming and portion creation on Jakku
Soarin - can be converted into Star Wars locations like Beggars Canyon.
Test Track can be your speeder bike or Land Cruiser ride.
Body Wars can become another version of Star Tours, but only featuring the spin off movies.

Who's with me?

IMO Test Track 2.0 is the poster child for what the future of Future World should be. Incredible visuals, incredible music, interactive, educational, and fun. I honestly cannot say enough good things about it.

They need to capitalize on the facts that we, as a society, rely on technology more than we ever have before, and it's finally kinda cool to be a nerd/geek now.

The trouble with attractions based on tech is that as things become obsolete, they look really out of place. Like watching a movie from the early 90's that have those bulky portable phone sets or a couple of the future? scenes in Carousel of Progress that are outdated. It actually becomes humorous to a degree.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.