Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024) | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I also find it annoying that WDI sorta boxes themselves in with continuity, but it seems like this might be a new ride in the year 2024 with no Something Goes Wrong story which is pretty crazy??? Tbd tho on that ig

I’ll just share, I think people are gonna love this thing. Yes, a ton of AAs, including in the totally redone finale which I really like (the boat is gone, sorry). At least for DL, a lot (maybe all?) of the old ones are being retired.

To my understanding, there will be screens, but it’s a pretty small number and I expect them to be layered like Na’vi and serve more as background then as the front and center story. Doesn’t seem to me that they’re using projection mapped faces. Look at HLDL’s new Elsa for what Tiana will probably be like

Personally I think this will be very good

It's Disney learning the wrong lessons from losing the Potter land. There are no die-hard PatF fans that would have their "immersion" shaken by seeing the main antagonist of the film return. Immersion is a big part of why the Potter lands are successful, but even they know that no one is gonna worry to much if they see Dumbledore in a crowd shot. "Hey, it's my favorite character!" trumps "Wait, why is he here in this part of the timeline?" the vast majority of the time. AKA give us Darth Vader Meet n Greet's again.
I want to know where all my Princes and the Frog fans have been all these years?

I loved that film when it came out but money wise did very meh, I remember telling everyone about the music and animation being top notch. I dont think you'll find any fans of that film that dont want "Your Friends on the other side" to not be included on the ride....yet here we are. Some suit at Disney just writes fans and claims this is what we want when, its a lie.

We want a cooler looking mountain like in the concept art, we dr facilier blasting, friends on the other side, as you climb the hill and I think most people would have loved to see the Q updated to be telling more of the story but it seems like we get almost none of that

Reactions: GAcoaster
I thought they weren’t including the villain because of a cultural appropriation issue…not a continuity issue?
I've heard both but the appropriation bit certainly makes sense, especially for modern "Let's remove Be Prepared from the Lion King remake because the original movie animated the Hyena's goosestepping"-era Disney. Like Jerroddragon pointed out, Odie also uses Voodoo and we might even see a Big Daddy animatronic if I heard right on a previous page? PatF is a pretty mixed bag representation wise, but one of the main gains to the Disney Canon was Dr. Facilier. He's kind of the last Disney Villain that most everyone would consider a Disney Villain. He's fun, he's got a banger song, he has massive potential for ride SFX with his Shadow powers. Just seems short-sighted to me, but this is all also relatively old news too so eh.

I've heard both but the appropriation bit certainly makes sense, especially for modern "Let's remove Be Prepared from the Lion King remake because the original movie animated the Hyena's goosestepping"-era Disney. Like Jerroddragon pointed out, Odie also uses Voodoo and we might even see a Big Daddy animatronic if I heard right on a previous page? PatF is a pretty mixed bag representation wise, but one of the main gains to the Disney Canon was Dr. Facilier. He's kind of the last Disney Villain that most everyone would consider a Disney Villain. He's fun, he's got a banger song, he has massive potential for ride SFX with his Shadow powers. Just seems short-sighted to me, but this is all also relatively old news too so eh.

TCJaalin lays it out pretty nicely that it really boils down to how Disney handled/interpreted Voodoo.

The key points being...
- Dr. Facilier's style of Voodoo was seeped in stereotypical voodoo iconography, that's pretty much the main issue.

- Conversely, Mama Odie's style of voodoo doesn't look like the stereotypical voodoo iconography. So it's a tad easier keeping her in.

- That said, notice in all the press releases they don't refer to Mama Odie as a Voodoo Priestess. She's now a "Bayou Fairy Godmother", and it's all "magic". There's no mention of Voodoo anywhere, and that's probably the biggest tell right there.

Ultimately, even TCJaalin states he's not saying he doesn't want the Shadow Man there, since both him and Mama Odie are linked by the proverb. "Everything is a poison, nothing is a poison. It is the dose that makes the poison." You could retool the character with help of folks who know a thing about voodoo, but unfortunately that's not happening.

Lol

Then he uses dark shadow magic

Disney is out here looking for excuses to not use villains any more. Makes no sense both characters were based on voodoo magic but then be like well we can’t show him again.
Also hasn’t the character showed up in various shows and meet and greets but the ride is when magically an issue comes up
Feels more like investors just wanting to make the ride as Pg and kid friendly over having a better ride. Disney was on record saying fear is fine for kids especially when they are safe but now of days, anything scary that could turn away even 5 guests seems to be just not used in the parks

It also kinda looks bad on the film crew of Princess and the Frog, I thought the movie was made with people who went down to New Orleans and talked to people who lived there. So they didn’t have an issue with the villain until now? Not like this film was made that long ago

I’m just not a fan of corporate speak

The design of the mountain should be what was shown in the art, the best part of the film should be in the ride and you can expand the story without making the ride less interesting.
I’m sure for the most part this will be a fun ride but sucks real fans don’t control the ride and feels like we are getting just a weaker version of the attractions thrm we should be getting

Last edited:
I don’t believe the removal of Facilier has to do with cultural reasons. I don’t like talking about Potter but the Gringotts ride features Bellatrix and Voldemort, and it’s a well known fact that Voldemort and the Death Eaters were based on or at least were stand ins for Hitler and the Nazis. Most likely reason is Disney and their new timeline schtick.

But here’s a question… what is it with Disney’s new thing with “continuity” and “timeline” in their attractions and lands? First there was Galaxy’s Edge which not only didn’t base it on the original trilogy, but also built an entirely new land which was not seen in the newer films. Then there’s Avengers Campus, which also did not only didn’t base it on anything cool like Wakanda or Asgard, but for some reason went out of its way to create a all new timeline where the Avengers stopped Thanos in Wakanda (as far as I remember). Ooookay? Now for some reason this is a “sequel” that doesn’t feature a well liked antagonist? Why? Why not just have another movie retelling? What does Disney hope to accomplish exactly with these very specific timelines schtick? Nobody really cared about the Dementors attacking Hogwarts for some reason.

Last edited:
I don’t believe the removal of Facilier has to do with cultural reasons. I don’t like talking about Potter but the Gringotts ride features Bellatrix and Voldemort, and it’s a well known fact that Voldemort and the Death Eaters were based on or at least were stand ins for Hitler and the Nazis. Most likely reason is Disney and their new timeline schtick.

But here’s a question… what is it with Disney’s new thing with “continuity” and “timeline” in their attractions and lands? First there was Galaxy’s Edge which not only didn’t base it on the original trilogy, but also built an entirely new land which was not seen in the newer films. Then there’s Avengers Campus, which also did not only didn’t base it on anything cool like Wakanda or Asgard, but for some reason went out of its way to create a all new timeline where the Avengers stopped Thanos in Wakanda (as far as I remember). Ooookay? Now for some reason this is a “sequel” that doesn’t feature a well liked antagonist? Why? Why not just have another movie retelling? What does Disney hope to accomplish exactly with these very specific timelines schtick? Nobody really cared about the Dementors attacking Hogwarts for some reason.
I agree with TCJaalin. I remember twitter when this was initially announced. This was a big conversation.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Tobias
Any point like this is moot considering Disney encourages guests to select either the light or the dark side at Star Wars attractions, and cosplay as space fascists. But I digress.

Yea, timeline is always the best excuse for the reasoning behind Disney’s story decisions lately.

Lol

Then he uses dark shadow magic

Disney is out here looking for excuses to not use villains any more. Makes no sense both characters were based on voodoo magic but then be like well we can’t show him again.
Also hasn’t the character showed up in various shows and meet and greets but the ride is when magically an issue comes up
Feels more like investors just wanting to make the ride as Pg and kid friendly over having a better ride. Disney was on record saying fear is fine for kids especially when they are safe but now of days, anything scary that could turn away even 5 guests seems to be just not used in the parks

It also kinda looks bad on the film crew of Princess and the Frog, I thought the movie was made with people who went down to New Orleans and talked to people who lived there. So they didn’t have an issue with the villain until now? Not like this film was made that long ago

I’m just not a fan of corporate speak

The design of the mountain should be what was shown in the art, the best part of the film should be in the ride and you can expand the story without making the ride less interesting.
I’m sure for the most part this will be a fun ride but sucks real fans don’t control the ride and feels like we are getting just a weaker version of the attractions thrm we should be getting

I don't disagree that Disney's still very much in it's alternate villains era but I think not including Dr. F is a totally different situation. Ultimately if there's a moody, foreboding aspect to the ride before the drop I don't care if Odie, Dr. F, or Dr. Phil who is the AA.

Reactions: Freak
Ultimately if there's a moody, foreboding aspect to the ride before the drop...
I think Disney has done everything they can to telegraph (without explicitly saying it) that there won't be this element anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, because I think an attraction of this length, and with this drop, needs that sort of tonal shift at some point during the experience.

I think Disney has done everything they can to telegraph (without explicitly saying it) that there won't be this element anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, because I think an attraction of this length, and with this drop, needs that sort of tonal shift at some point during the experience.

It needs a tonal shift, maybe that's what I should have said. Heck even if it's a HM-lite spooky.

I am really concerned Odie is going to be right before the drop, which will be presented as a “fun!” element rather than an intimidating one.

Reactions: Nick and belloq87
I am really concerned Odie is going to be right before the drop, which will be presented as a “fun!” element rather than an intimidating one.
If this is the case, I could see them still play an ominous instrumental of “Are You Ready?” It could still work without Facilier.

I love to hear about the AA's. Awesome. But they are 100% doing a PatF ride wrong by not including Dr. Facilier and I don't know if my opinion will ever change on that. I'm all for the change on this ride, but I really think Facilier right before the big drop would be extremely cool and actually accurate to the movie.

As @Alicia said, Disney basically encourages cosplaying as Space Nazi's (characters who were quite literally based on real Nazi's according to George Lucas) so to not put in a specific character because he was written a bit stereotypical in 2009. Eh. Fix his backstory then. Find a way to put one of your most iconic villains of the 21st century into this ride.

Theme parks have all had to become more sensitive to imagery and representation of other cultures and beliefs. Any representation of Voodoo is potentially something that could be offensive-- it is an extension of African religion and is part of Haitian culture. With the large Haitian and Caribbean population (including a significant portion of Disney staff) it's better not to play on stereotypes for a ride. There's plenty of story and magic without Dr. Facilier involved.

Theme parks have all had to become more sensitive to imagery and representation of other cultures and beliefs. Any representation of Voodoo is potentially something that could be offensive-- it is an extension of African religion and is part of Haitian culture. With the large Haitian and Caribbean population (including a significant portion of Disney staff) it's better not to play on stereotypes for a ride. There's plenty of story and magic without Dr. Facilier involved.
I understand we shouldn’t be playing on stereotypes for rides (especially ones they’re trying to clean up), but if they can come up with a story excuse to change Mama Odie, then why not just do something similar with Facilier. Call it Dark Magic or something like that as someone said. What we see him do isn’t far off from what happens in Potter tbh with dark wizardry.

I understand we shouldn’t be playing on stereotypes for rides (especially ones they’re trying to clean up), but if they can come up with a story excuse to change Mama Odie, then why not just do something similar with Facilier. Call it Dark Magic or something like that as someone said. What we see him do isn’t far off from what happens in Potter tbh with dark wizardry.
Disney’s weird need to create elaborate in universe backstories makes anything your suggesting have too much runway for risk. It’s easier to just, not. I agree with @GAcoaster on this.

Reactions: Nick and Freak