Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone know the timeline for this? I love that they’re making the announcement while the parks are closed, but I can’t help but think it’ll be a while before they even start the overlay.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Princesses sell merchandise. They are the bread and butter of Disney merchandising. New princess merchandise will be a big seller.

Right, but to "cover" the cost of this you'd need to sell about a billion dollars of merchandise incremental to what is already being sold, and presumably all PatF merchandise out of the PatF gift shop. That just isn't how things work.

The wildcard is actually what the ride's survey rating would be after reopening - we don't really know if there's been an actual turn away from the ride because it's been closed for months but it could presumably go from a top 3-5 attraction to the bottom half just based on public perception.

You know, I'm already hearing some remarks from people of color re: this news that are compelling me to stop talking for a moment and instead listen to what they're saying.

I've been hoping for this since 2014 when I rode with a Black family - two young boys with their parents. As we went along I head the boys ask their parents what movie the ride was based on. The way the parents looked at each other, at a loss on how to answer, really broke my heart. Imagine them having that conversation in the middle of a Disney vacation...

What Jessica posted is super valuable to me. Of course I knew this was based on Song of the South, but considering this ride so far removed itself from that source I assumed no one really cared. Apparently that isn't true.

I'm torn on this. I will say that I'm not sure it's good to start removing things because they are associated with racism. If we go down that road, say goodbye to a lot (Hall of Presidents, hell..the Florida state flag). Removing things that are blatantly racist: sure, but a ride that wasn't racist itself...

All that being said, it is pretty kick ass from a representation standpoint.

Still coming to terms on this, open to swinging my stance in whichever direction at this point as I continue to hear more.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Here are my concerns that have nothing to do with switching out the theme:

I feel the same about this as I did with Frozen. They deserve their own-new-attraction. Not a retheme of an excising track (although the Splash track layout is far lengthier then Malestrom).

I don’t want screens. I want PatF AAs.

I hope we get actual sets/backgrounds like there currently are in Splash, not the cardboard cut outs like we have in Pooh.

They say this takes place after the movie so does that mean no Shadow Man? That would be a huge waste.

There better be a beignets shop now!

Since we know they were already cutting back on spending is it safe to assume that most of the Epcot overhaul is a thing of the past? I am wondering what attractions or changes we are going to miss out on because they decided to fast track this project to receive maximum applause.

Conflicted.

I love the original so much, but if it has to change at all this feels like the right IP. and I personally love PATF.

I will really miss the Briar patch theming at the bottom of the drop, doesn't look like they are replacing that with anything which is a shame. and I know the song is really not appropriate anymore but it was so damn catchy I will miss it.

Anyone else get reminded of Typhoon Lagoon by the tree on top of the mountain?

Reactions: Jerroddragon
so many chances for beautiful bayou scenes and the lift hill with “are you ready” playing would be insane
Yessssss hehe

Are you Readyyyyy...Transformation central

5d30b79a5a48714c6cb656ded83ee587.jpg

If done right the scene before the drop will be nuts

I’m all for this retheme. I have complete faith in this retheme and I believe Tony Baxter is the lead designer for this making me 10x more excited. As long as I get a “Friends on the Other Side” this will be a success to me. I move down to college in Orlando this August so I’m hoping I can sneak in one more ride on Splash Mountain, but glad to see Disney making new memories for families, which is the whole point of Disney Parks

This happened so quickly that I almost wondering Disney had considered it in the past but scrapped the plans way back when...
Either way I am mixed on this one. Splash is my absolute favourite ride across all of WDW and a big part if that is the themeing and the music. That said, PatF also has some great music and Facillier is an excellent villain so I remain optimistic that the themeing and the music could still keep me happy on the ride, even if I will miss hearing 'How Do You Do?'

All I will say is that this is a terrible decision. No way the re-theme will reach the dizzying heights of Splash, and no song could ever replace Zip. Hopefully Disney backpedals once they hear the backlash.

Once again, let’s not put the cart before the horse. The backlash against the TOT retheme was epic. Disneyland followed through and people love it now. Let’s not assume we speak for everyone, or that we can predict the future.

Reading the actual blog post, I don't believe them when they say they've actually been working on this since last year.

I also find all the PR-speak buzzwords interesting. It will be an “inclusive” attraction for everyone... except, of course, for those of us who loved Splash Mountain.

"Blessing of size? Nah. Just retheme." -- Bob Chapek, 2020.

To quote Mica Burton's tweet "Nostalgia isn't more important than positive change."
I mean, is it really “positive change” if the final product ends up being not very good? Demonstrably less impressive than Splash Mountain? Would that not be insulting to both PATF fans and Splash Mountain fans?

This will fit much better in Disneyland than at Walt Disney World. Can't really just stick a Louisiana Bayou in the middle of Frontierland, but welcome to 2020
Modern Disney does not care about theme.

Since we know they were already cutting back on spending is it safe to assume that most of the Epcot overhaul is a thing of the past? I am wondering what attractions or changes we are going to miss out on because they decided to fast track this project to receive maximum applause.
They may also be shifting it out of hotels - either Reflections or unannounced stuff that was earmarked but still in blue sky.

Once again, let’s not put the cart before the horse. The backlash against the TOT retheme was epic. Disneyland followed through and people love it now. Let’s not assume we speak for everyone, or that we can predict the future.
Yeah, I thought that was stupid. Then I rode it.

Personally I do love Splash, but I think they can do some amazing work with Princess, and the story of Princess and the Frog shares some nicely matched beats with scenes from the ride (lots of dancing animals, big production numbers, and a clear cut villain to keep some drama).

I'll just say this. I'm not sure if this will or won't actually come to fruition, especially in any timely manner, given Disney's current slate of projects, and their history of quietly canceling projects even after announcing them. I just cannot shake the feeling their announcement feels little hollow...like a corporation changing their logo to rainbow colors just for Pride month, then switching back immediately and ignoring that group until the next year

Reactions: marip123 and fryoj
Personally I do love Splash, but I think they can do some amazing work with Princess, and the story of Princess and the Frog shares some nicely matched beats with scenes from the ride (lots of dancing animals, big production numbers, and a clear cut villain to keep some drama).

I'll just say this. I'm not sure if this will or won't actually come to fruition, especially in any timely manner, given Disney's current slate of projects, and their history of quietly canceling projects even after announcing them. I just cannot shake the feeling their announcement feels little hollow...like a corporation changing their logo to rainbow colors just for Pride month, then switching back immediately and ignoring that group until the next year
Good point, after all, a year later, we are still waiting for Mary Poppins construction.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy