Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tick, Tick..Boom!

I love Lin, I just hope he doesn’t cast himself. His music is of course tailored to his voice and strengths. But he’s not a great singer and a fairly average actor. If he wants to bring on some of his Hamilton or In The Heights OBC friends though, I’m for it. I’d be down for Chris Jackson, Anthony Ramos or Karen Olivo.

I love Lin, I just hope he doesn’t cast himself. His music is of course tailored to his voice and strengths. But he’s not a great singer and a fairly average actor. If he wants to bring on some of his Hamilton or In The Heights OBC friends though, I’m for it. I’d be down for Chris Jackson, Anthony Ramos or Karen Olivo.
I think him not casting himself as the in the heights character indicates he may not want to cast himself

Usnavi is normally played by someone in their mid-20’s. Lin is turning 40 next month.
Yeah, but I really think if he wanted to cast himself as usnavi he could’ve done it even if he’s way older. Honestly he looks younger than 40, could get away with it if he genuinely desired to.

Interestingly, when the original reporting occurred prior to Lin's official post, it was mentioned that Andrew Garfield would be on-hand to hold the lead role, as opposed to others.

I could see Lin like in In The Heights, having a minor role for this--or at least a cameo.

I know this was mentioned in the Musical thread, but figured i'd post it here as well since not everyone checks that thread. For a first trailer, this gave me just the right amount of excitement and tbh, I feel like Andrew Garfield was perfect casting.

Watched it tonight, and with the caveat that i've never seen a stage performance of the show, I absolutely loved this. Andrew Garfield was GREAT and I hope he gets serious Best Actor consideration. The emotion he displays as Jonathan Larson is incredible. He also owned the part not only in the pure dramatic moments, but also the musical performances. He showcased a surprisingly wide range on some performances.

I also think Lin Manuel Miranda deserves serious Best Director consideration (at least for a nomination). He REALLY puts you into the manic mind of Jonathan Larson and you feel it throughout the movie. I really loved a lot of the choices he made creatively/in post production, as well. The rest of the cast is extremely solid as well held up by Robin de Jesus (who I best know as Sonny from the Broadway version of In The Heights), Alexandra Shipp, and Vanessa Hudgens (in her limited screen time).

Just wanted to comment again and say that after 24 hours to digest the film now having thought about it periodically, Garfield's performance continues to stick with me. I would've never picked him to be Jonathan Larson, but now that i've seen it, I can't think of anyone else to have possibly played the role. He nailed the mannerisms and simply became Larson. His performance was, in my opinion, one of the best individual performances i've seen from an actor in the past decade i'd say.

This is the type of performance I like and really respect though. One where you get extremely deep into character and really bring it to life in a believable way. In a weird way, it sort of reminded me of Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street, except Garfield's manic portrayal is because Larson simply had so much to say and that's the type of person he was. Leo's performance was manic because Jordan Belfort was a drug addict :lol: