What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tower of Terror

Shocked at the lack of a proper thread, but hopefully this will help fuel this thread.

From WDWNT, Tower of Terror in both WDS and DHS may be receiving changes in light of a possible end of the Twilight Zone IP.

While I’m not in love with the idea of losing Twilight Zone, this would be MUCH better than having the hideous Mission Breakout facade, and as long as they stick with it being a hotel/residence/etc. in Hollywood, it should fit in just fine.

Really, they could transplant the Tokyo storyline in with minimal changes. Hightower Hotel (with a sign outside that changes to Highterror), change the preshows and swap out some interior banners, and they’ve got pretty much the whole queue covered.

I'm extremely uneasy about the prospect of losing the TWILIGHT ZONE connection at DHS's Tower, but I can live with a revamp provided three conditions are met:

1. It maintains an ominous, spooky storyline.
2. No thematic changes are made to the 1930s aesthetics.
3. No Disney IP is grafted on.

I'm extremely uneasy about the prospect of losing the TWILIGHT ZONE connection at DHS's Tower, but I can live with a revamp provided three conditions are met:

1. It maintains an ominous, spooky storyline.
2. No thematic changes are made to the 1930s aesthetics.
3. No Disney IP is grafted on.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, that’s my philosophy on attractions. ToT is fine as is and any changes to it are just a wasted effort.

I totally agree. In its current form, it's one of the best attractions ever designed.

Not to single you out but it’s interesting to see how the discussion has gone from “Doesn’t fit DCA” to “it’s ok at DCA only and don’t touch DHS tower” to “...weeeeelllll...”

Not to single you out but it’s interesting to see how the discussion has gone from “Doesn’t fit DCA” to “it’s ok at DCA only and don’t touch DHS tower” to “...weeeeelllll...”

Make no mistake, I don't want them changing the DHS Tower.

I was simply offering up the three conditions that would need to be met in order for me to give a new version (which many seem to think is a foregone conclusion) a fair shake.

And I don't care at all about DCA's version, frankly.

I think Guardians trumps Tower of Terror and that is one of my favourites of all time.

The fact is though is that Guardians won’t work with ToT at DHS, even putting the IP aside, i don’t see how it could physically work and that makes switching the IP an even greater challenge and open to more backlash.

DHS Tower of Terror version, with it's Twilight zone overlay and varied sequence drops, is about as close to a perfect theme park attraction as there is. It's a shame that there's a possibility that it will be rethemed because Disney doesn't want to pay for IP rights.

DHS Tower of Terror version, with it's Twilight zone overlay and varied sequence drops, is about as close to a perfect theme park attraction as there is. It's a shame that there's a possibility that it will be rethemed because Disney doesn't want to pay for IP rights.

If it happens, this will become the prime example of Disney screwing over guests to make a quick buck.

Knowing Disney, they'll probably spend a ridiculous amount on a retheme and it will take them 10 years to recoup the cost instead of just continuing to pay for the IP.

The timing of this is seems somewhat relevant. Disney could have been wanting to do this for years but never had the opportunity because DHS is barebones as it is but once TSL and SWL are open, they may find a gap to close ToT to make the switch.

If it happens, this will become the prime example of Disney screwing over guests to make a quick buck.

Knowing Disney, they'll probably spend a ridiculous amount on a retheme and it will take them 10 years to recoup the cost instead of just continuing to pay for the IP.

The timing of this is seems somewhat relevant. Disney could have been wanting to do this for years but never had the opportunity because DHS is barebones as it is but once TSL and SWL are open, they may find a gap to close ToT to make the switch.
Problem is, when TSL, SWL & Mickey are open, they still won't have enough rides to handle DHS' attendance. As you said, they may use that time to shut it down, but the lack of attractions will still be an issue, and a shut down to retheme will exacerbate the problem of not enough capacity.

I believed that before finding out all of Hollywoodland over there was becoming Marvel, so it works more or less in the long run. In DHS it’s a part of a land that isn’t changing to fit its new theme. While I’d hate to lose ToT, if Sunset Boulevard was changing with it I’d be more okay with GotG:MB.

To say something, if they did it on a level of retheming that MB was, but with the story and asthetics of TDS's Tower of Terror (including Level 13's effects), I think that'd have a lot of potential for enhancing the attraction at both WDS and Hollywood Studios.

I love Tower of Terror, but the Twilight Zone is absolutely not needed for it to remain with the same atmosphere and feel that it currently has. I don't think this is a reversal for most of us either. Most people's objection all along was the tower becoming Guardians, not losing TZ.

While TZ may add a certain extra flair I guess, the TDS Tower is great without TZ. It can easily keep 99.9% of it's theme without TZ attached as the ride just inherently doesn't revolve around the IP as say, Star Tours does. Take the Star Wars IP away and you'r just riding in a simulator. Take the TZ IP away and it's pretty much the same ride, just no Rod Sterling.

I’d like to add to my comment that anything beyond upgrades and refurbishments to the Tower as is are inherently unnecessary, and a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.

I’d like to add to my comment that anything beyond upgrades and refurbishments to the Tower as is are inherently unnecessary, and a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.
I'd be perfectly fine with them changing it to this:

I do agree that money could be better spent elsewhere, but they want to stop paying for the rights and it seems pretty likely that something is going in the works for all ToTs currently using the licensing. Even another existing ride like RNRC could use a refurb to change licensing, etc more than this, but I wouldn't be too upset about Tower as long as they don't try to place an IP in there.

Last edited:
I'd be perfectly fine with them changing it to this:

I do agree that money could be better spent elsewhere, but they want to stop paying for the rights and it seems pretty likely that something is going in the works for all ToTs currently using the licensing.

Indeed. It makes sense on a logistical standpoint that they will have to enact changes. If the ToT revamps are on the scale of Mission Breakout, they don't have to have the attractions closed until they need them too, as the attraction at both Paris and Orlando would have to recieve thematic changes interior-wise in show scenes and in the tone of the queue.

I would venture to say that Hightower gives me more of a different vibe than per say the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Indeed. It makes sense on a logistical standpoint that they will have to enact changes. If the ToT revamps are on the scale of Mission Breakout, they don't have to have the attractions closed until they need them too, as the attraction at both Paris and Orlando would have to recieve thematic changes interior-wise in show scenes and in the tone of the queue.

I would venture to say that Hightower gives me more of a different vibe than per say the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
If this is something that is to happen, I suspect this would be another "bite the bullet" thing where they would try do do it quick like Mission: Breakout after Toy Story Land opens. They can't afford to close this thing once crowds for Star Wars come in.

If this is something that is to happen, I suspect this would be another "bite the bullet" thing where they would try do do it quick like Mission: Breakout after Toy Story Land opens. They can't afford to close this thing once crowds for Star Wars come in.

And I agree. To be honest, I think what should be happening, is that the attraction in WDW will follow a near identical timeline to what the WDS version may be getting, having scrims up around the facade by around May to begin work. Then, after Labor day, you close Tower of Terror in DHS to accelerate it's completion schedule to be ready by early April.

In theory, you keep the attraction open for the summer, but begin work on exterior early on so they can just focus on the interior for the most part after the summer crowds die down.