Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trams/Shuttles

Dec 12, 2015
Media Building North
Hello, 

I was just curious to see if anyone knew why Uni decided to use the passenger vehicles from the GlamorTrams for the parking shuttles instead of the newer SuperTram cars. I know in the early 2000s, they used to use the ol' GlamorTram engine car, but it used to break down many, many times. 

Did they just decide to use the GlamorTrams because of nostalgia or what? I'm quite curious about this, as well as the fate of the other trams. Unless they're all buried deep in a warehouse on site, I do think they are at the park anymore. I have no doubt that most of them were most likely scrapped, but I'm sure they're stored somewhere. 

Any ideas? 
-CW

Because they're cheap. Well, sort of.

While the power units (engine cars) are relatively new, I don't think Universal has any reason to replace the old GlamourTrams with the SuperTram design. They work fine as is, and I'm not sure the company has the incentive to transfer some of the SuperTram cars to hill duty. Plus, some of the GlamourTrams also appear to be substantially rebuilt ever since they were transferred to Lankershim.

It is also to my understanding that many of the SuperTrams are nearing their end of life service, with Universal essentially forced to recreate the design from the ground up after Winnebago refused to offer any service. You'll see that some of the new cars look nearly identical to their original counterparts - this is no coincidence. Many of the original SuperTram car frames were damaged beyond repair, so scrapping the old bodies entirely and building new was apparently more cost effective than them trying to retrofit and rebuild the old fleet for continued tram duty.

The width of the SuperTram design and the electronics package (how do they modify the shuttle power units to power the in-car monitors) may have also been a factor.

In the end, they may very well build new modified SuperTram cars for the hill once they complete the Studio Tour fleet. They don't seem to have an issue with capacity at the moment (with many hill shuttles operating three cars total), so my guess would be that it's cheaper in the long run to keep things as is with the GlamourTrams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting! Thanks for the info as always!

I never thought the Lankershim trams to have an issue with overcrowding. There are lines but it's not very long and goes quite quickly. The old GlamorTrams do their jobs and do it pretty well, though the lack of any decent suspension and the construction on the road has thrown my spine out of alignment more than once while riding them.

All part of the experience I guess  :)  

Thanks again!
-CW