Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tron: Ares

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
It feels like this movie has been rumored to be happening for forever, but Disney has confirmed it is in development.

It’s ironic that they’re now “hopeful” Kosinski can return when he was the one pushing for it for years. Kosinski just recently directed Top Gun: Maverick and is now rumored to be involved with a Twister reboot. Seems he’s being pigeonholed as the “reboot director”.

Yay! I really liked Tron Legacy.

But if we're putting things out there, can I have -1 Jared Leto's and substitute with a double order of Daft Punk score?

I'm curious what the storyline will be since the previous leads were Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund technically could be around.

Yay! I really liked Tron Legacy.

But if we're putting things out there, can I have -1 Jared Leto's and substitute with a double order of Daft Punk score?

I'm curious what the storyline will be since the previous leads were Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund technically could be around.
It's possible they move the story in a totally different direction and Wilde and Hedlund just show up in small roles in this film.

I like the idea of Tron alot...I think both films have big issues with some of the story telling.

I would not mind the sequel as a mini reboot. I know many won't...but if they can get Marvel to help they should to make this film funnier and side characters people like.
In Legacy if you didn't like the main three characters you were out of luck because that was all we really got. But think the look of both films and the world is cool enough of an idea to return to.

Supposedly, Leto is actually not attached and that’s a hangover rumor from 2017 when they were trying to make this film happen.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that part of the rumor suggested this could be a Disney+ Original.

Since we talked about this in the Tommorrowland thread

I think Tron will happen but not with Leto.....his last few movies have been not that great and the director as Nick said is probably not apart of this any more unless this is like a passion project for them

Since we talked about this in the Tommorrowland thread

I think Tron will happen but not with Leto.....his last few movies have been not that great and the director as Nick said is probably not apart of this any more unless this is like a passion project for them
Kosinski has said he doesn't want to do another Tron movie when he was doing a press tour for Maverick. He said it was a good experience for him at that time in his career, but he doesn't want to be restricted by Disney in one of their franchises and he'd just be taking away a directing spot from another director.

In the post above yours as of 2020, Garth Davis was now on board to direct. He's a fairly green director in that he hasn't done too much yet.

Filming begins in August. Between Jared Leto starring and hearing the director choice (he directed Pirates 5 and Maleficent 2), and hearing no Daft Punk, this movie sounds like it's gonna be such a letdown for waiting well over a decade.

Filming begins in August. Between Jared Leto starring and hearing the director choice (he directed Pirates 5 and Maleficent 2), and hearing no Daft Punk, this movie sounds like it's gonna be such a letdown for waiting well over a decade.

The absence of Bruce Boxleitner is the biggest sin of all. No person contributed more to this franchise and he really deserved better.

Hiring Leto for so many projects is such a baffling choice by Disney given his... troubling behavior has been an open secret in Hollywood for years. And it's not like the guy can actually open a movie.

Hiring Leto for so many projects is such a baffling choice by Disney given his... troubling behavior has been an open secret in Hollywood for years. And it's not like the guy can actually open a movie.
He apparently signed onto this project (or at least expressed interest) way back in 2017, when he was still pretty hot.

Can't imagine they sign him on for this or Haunted Mansion if they were casting now.

The overall cast for Haunted Mansion is just a bunch of people that can’t get jobs on other things.

Tron 3 looks like it’s headed in the same direction, unfortunately. It’s unfortunate because a good Tron sequel from where Legacy left off shouldn’t be hard to do and it’s almost like they seem to be ignoring that movie and it’s cast.

Hopefully it’s good but count me as skeptical. I’m going to guess December 2025 release to take advantage of Holiday box office in a non-Avatar release year. Legacy had that December opening spot so this is just some guess work.

Waiting to make Tron 3 until after Daft Punk broke up feels to me like them only making Ghostbusters 3 after Harold Ramis passed. Count me out until proven otherwise.

Waiting to make Tron 3 until after Daft Punk broke up feels to me like them only making Ghostbusters 3 after Harold Ramis passed. Count me out until proven otherwise.
I'd assume many parts of the Tron: Legacy score from Daft Punk will be reused and they'll get someone to make a similar sounding soundtrack for the rest of the movie. Is there anyone out in the pop/EDM space that could fill their shoes? Potentially M83 could work? Take out the vocals on the track below and it sounds similar to what Legacy sounded like, probably in part because it was composed by the same guy (Joseph Trapanese).