TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This project has clearly run into a pretty serious issue. It doesn't help that construction was also slowed down besides that, but when they wanted to get things moving again, they obviously ran into some snags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
I think it COULD and SHOULD, but just like the Rat, I think it may sit for a year to spread out the capex since there's nothing new under construction right now and Disney works at a glacial pace. I think it could be late (Christmas) 2022, spring 2023, with Splash as the 2024 "addition" and then something new starting construction soon for 2025 (DAK).

As unpopular as my opinion may be, this is the right move.

2021 = Velocicoaster and Ratatouille, 2022 = Iron Gwazi, Guardians and Ice Breaker, 2023 = Tron and VillainCon, 2024 = Potter VR and PatF, 2025 = EU.

(Timetable, obviously--after 2020, I don't want to assume anything.)

@Alicia : Go on?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on it?
I don't think I'll ever bet on opening timeframes for Disney again to be frank with you.

Let's just say, I feel a little better seeing recent work continuing out front in recent months... But I worry about how much progress is being made inside.
I would expect issues with the exterior and integration with the train but the interior? It's a clone.

ignore

I'll be shocked if PatF Splash Mountain is in 2024.

That would be genius if you think about it...get everyone riled up after the initial announcement and clear the gift shop shelves. Have a few years go by, let it slip out of people's minds and maybe give hope that Splash will be saved...and BAM! announce the closing date two months before to clear the shelves all over again.

Reactions: Legacy
I don't know if it has been completely resolved, but this project has certainly run into a pretty serious issue. It doesn't help that construction was also slowed down besides that, but when they wanted to get things moving again, they ran into some... snags.

What happened? Did the envelope test fail? On Magic, some people have stated that it isn't easy to build a clone due to differences in land (ex. Soil vs whatever Shanghai is built on) and permits. I just fail to understand why it takes so long and why it costs so much. It's a Vekoma in a box with some lighting effects on cut-outs or just lights. Paramount built the Outer Limits (now Flight of Fear) Premier coasters in under a year when launched coasters were definitely new.

What happened? Did the envelope test fail? On Magic, some people have stated that it isn't easy to build a clone due to differences in land (ex. Soil vs whatever Shanghai is built on) and permits. I just fail to understand why it takes so long and why it costs so much. It's a Vekoma in a box with some lighting effects on cut-outs or just lights. Paramount built the Outer Limits (now Flight of Fear) Premier coasters in under a year when launched coasters were definitely new.
The main thing that should be hardest is they have blueprints for the ride, sure, but it’s made for China, meaning that it needed to be changed completely for building in the US.

Building codes are way different in China than the US and they also have to account for building a Hurricane proof building. Cloning a ride from Anaheim to Orlando or vice versa is much easier.

I’ve been talking about an issue they ran into well before the envelope tests.

Last edited:
The reporter on WESH (Orlando NBC affiliate) this morning live from the park kept mentioning Tron as though Disney is still saying it's coming for the 50th.

It's worth noting that Disney has stated that the 50th celebration runs through March 31st, 2023. So they can technically open this "during the 50th" and it not be 2022. I sort of expect this could be a Memorial Day addition though if things get back on track, but most likely fall considering Disney construction speed. I mean, the ride is kinda done itself for the most part. A lot of the things left undone are the train, the new walkways, and the glass for the canopy.

Reactions: Tbad556
They didn't mention TRON during the 50th special on ABC tonight, so that should tell you that they have literally no idea when this thing is actually going to open.

Reactions: Frank Drackman