Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Uncharted (2022)

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Tom Holland is playing Nathan Drake and Mark Wahlburg will be playing Sully in this movie adaptation of the popular Naughty Dog game. Production just started up on the movie in Berlin. This movie was days away from starting production before production got shut down due to COVID, so all of the sets were already built.

Nothing against the actors but this seems like poor casting.
It's an origin film, set before the games. The young Nathan Drake that you see in flashbacks looks extremely similar to Tom Holland:

I do agree Wahlburg is very questionable casting for Sully, however (again, he's playing a younger version of the character, but still).

Yeah, I'm less worried about the casting and more about whatever has happened behind the scenes to lead to this having 7 different directors after all of these years :lol:

Yeah, I'm less worried about the casting and more about whatever has happened behind the scenes to lead to this having 7 different directors after all of these years :lol:
A lot of the directorial changes were because directors got offers for other movies and Sony wasn't prioritizing Uncharted and moving it forward. So directors kept coming and going. Hopefully it's good. They're banking on this being a franchise, which is why they're going with a younger Nathan Drake. They want to leave themselves room to make quite a few sequels and let this be their Indiana Jones.

I'm getting real Tomb Raider (2018) vibes from this. I love these games, but I have absolutely no faith in their ability to make a movie actually worth watching :/

I hear shooting isn't starting. Will this ever been made? I think we will have another Uncharted game (not by ND) earlier than the movie and I am okay with that.

A lot of the directorial changes were because directors got offers for other movies and Sony wasn't prioritizing Uncharted and moving it forward. So directors kept coming and going. Hopefully it's good. They're banking on this being a franchise, which is why they're going with a younger Nathan Drake. They want to leave themselves room to make quite a few sequels and let this be their Indiana Jones.
For sure. It's just always hard for me to get attached to "Development Hell" movies without a heavy dose of caution :lol: Throw in the fact that video game films are so hit-or-miss... I'll most likely be there on opening weekend, but I'm not going to say it's without worry lol.

I hear shooting isn't starting. Will this ever been made? I think we will have another Uncharted game (not by ND) earlier than the movie and I am okay with that.
There was confusion. Sony clarified and said that they are preparing to go back and shoot.

For sure. It's just always hard for me to get attached to "Development Hell" movies without a heavy dose of caution :lol: Throw in the fact that video game films are so hit-or-miss... I'll most likely be there on opening weekend, but I'm not going to say it's without worry lol.
Oh, I agree. It’s tough to get too excited, but it does also have a lot of potential.

I'm sorry but Holland is the worst possible choice for any version of Drake.
He’s been bulking up a lot for the character. I think he’s a good fit for a mid 20’s Drake.

Tom did really great acting in his latest Netflix film (name is escaping me), and showed he's got a lot of range. I think Spiderman shows that as he pulls off an American accent quite well, but I think dude just has acting chops. I believe he did theatre growing up as well, he'll be able to act out this role I think very well but all depends on the script, lot to work with here.