Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Executive Leadership Changes

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Mark has tons of experience at Universal Parks, especially when he appeared in 1999's "Total Immersion: Theme Park For the 21st Century" TV episode regarding the new IOA park. I really hope with his longtime experience, he'll make the theme park experience really better.

Its impressive seeing both of their tenures with the company spelled out. They have both been with the company through major growth. I don’t know much about Williams, but to have a creative at the top of the company is a good sign. I wonder who will be replacing Woodbury.

United Service Organizations?

So lets talk about the elephant in the room: who takes over at UC?

I wonder if they might pull from universal Hollywood's creative, especially considering DWT, Jurassic World and Pets all being slams. And Pets even got a THEA!

Would be interesting to see.

So lets talk about the elephant in the room: who takes over at UC?
I'm guessing Thierry Coup, unless I'm missing something

I wonder if they'd nab Scott Trowbridge back again, the two of them have been a part of some pretty incredible projects

As for Woodbury, congrats to him, the Universal Creative people and management aren't huge public figures like at Disney so I'm only going off what I see...

and if what I see continues with Woodbury, then I'm here for it

I wonder if they might pull from universal Hollywood's creative, especially considering DWT, Jurassic World and Pets all being slams. And Pets even got a THEA!

Would be interesting to see.

I don't think anyone from that team exists anymore after the pandemic layoffs. (Mike West was let go ffs)

I wonder if they'd nab Scott Trowbridge back again, the two of them have been a part of some pretty incredible projects

I was thinking this too. That'd be one hell of a promotion.

Scott Trowbridge and Mark Woodbury would be a great team and thereby making Universal better and more competitive. However, it doesn't seem that Trowbridge will return back to UC though as he's seemingly happy to work for Disney.

Scott Trowbridge and Mark Woodbury would be a great team and thereby making Universal better and more competitive. However, it doesn't seem that Trowbridge will return back to UC though as he's seemingly happy to work for Disney.

Counter point: star wars projects are all wrapping up and he might not have anyting next lined up. He's worked with UC before and is looking to more beyond being a simple portfolio manager for IP.

I am 60% confident its going to be Thierry because he is already senior VP of creative which is a major part of what they do; however, the fact they didn't announce the new leader does lead me to believe they are looking at outside talent.

I don't Thierry really wants to be UC president. If you remember Thierry's background has strongly been in set design and film....while the lands he makes are wonderful, his trouble is thinking out attractions....Out of his tenure, the best things he made were Spiderman (with Scott), the first edition of Space Mountain, and the creative direction of Diagon Alley. The last few projects he directly had hands in...he was behind a film camera and directing. I think that's way more his passion than anything else which means he would need someone to balance him. I think he knows his weaknesses and would probably like to keep his current position until a later time.

With the two upcoming projects being almost heavily physical based (EU and USB phase two), he would be great for set design, however when it comes to attractions he is too focused on his medium which based on results, people don't like as much. Then with USB phase two, not being IP based, only one attraction has he done that wasn't focused on an IP (Space Mountain in Paris).

I do think Scott Trowbridge may be trying for his way back to Universal as he is stuck solely focused on mainly Star Wars and the Portfolio Creative Executive position is probably extremely limiting on creativity and ideas and oversight compared to being head of UC in which you get a hand on how all projects go.

I don't claim to know how anything works, but I feel like he'd be returning to a much more engaging Universal than when he left

Who knows, maybe behind the scenes things are the exact same

But from the outside it appears they have much more budget, much less cuts, and much better ownership that really only pushes synergy

Again, I know nothing, these are purely off of observations and the attitude shift I've seen Universal make as a parks division
I am 60% confident its going to be Thierry because he is already senior VP of creative which is a major part of what they do; however, the fact they didn't announce the new leader does lead me to believe they are looking at outside talent.

I don't Thierry really wants to be UC president. If you remember Thierry's background has strongly been in set design and film....while the lands he makes are wonderful, his trouble is thinking out attractions....Out of his tenure, the best things he made were Spiderman (with Scott), the first edition of Space Mountain, and the creative direction of Diagon Alley. The last few projects he directly had hands in...he was behind a film camera and directing. I think that's way more his passion than anything else which means he would need someone to balance him. I think he knows his weaknesses and would probably like to keep his current position until a later time.

With the two upcoming projects being almost heavily physical based (EU and USB phase two), he would be great for set design, however when it comes to attractions he is too focused on his medium which based on results, people don't like as much. Then with USB phase two, not being IP based, only one attraction has he done that wasn't focused on an IP (Space Mountain in Paris).

I do think Scott Trowbridge may be trying for his way back to Universal as he is stuck solely focused on mainly Star Wars and the Portfolio Creative Executive position is probably extremely limiting on creativity and ideas and oversight compared to being head of UC in which you get a hand on how all projects go.
All good thoughts

I would not be surprised if there are many Disney Imagineers "looking into" going elsewhere

No we know that Trowbridge is still on Star Wars Projects? Because there are no new ones even being rumored and the hotel is about to open. It would make little sense to keep him on Star Wars if they aren't planning on building anymore SW in the near future.

Remember, Rohde was mainly on DAK projects in his tenure with Disney and even still, he got moved around quite a bit to other projects such as Aulani, GotG: MB, etc. I think it's very possible Trowbridge stays on Star Wars for the long term, yet also moves to other projects in the interim. They'd be foolish to let him walk.