Universal Great Britain | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was discussed at a community meeting I believe, but also lines up with what I’ve been hearing anyway. So, pretty solid.

When the decision is discussed publicly I have no idea.

I would say look at how Universal historically announce such things, but considering how transparent and quick Universal have been to confirm stuff here, I feel like even historical evidence means nothing.

Let's hope someone catches wind of the decision quick, just cos I hate waiting :p.

I would say look at how Universal historically announce such things, but considering how transparent and quick Universal have been to confirm stuff here, I feel like even historical evidence means nothing.

Let's hope someone catches wind of the decision quick, just cos I hate waiting :p.
With monthly meetings with local government and the way they’ve been open, I bet we hear sooner rather than later.

Let us know what sort of response are coming from the locals and whether we have a Roper family on our hands.
Worth noting that it is very likely that planning permission for the entire project will be granted by national government, in a piece of secondary legislation approved in the Commons and the Lords, rather than the local planning authority (Bedford Council) being responsible. The chance of a small number of individual objections from local residents holding up or blocking the planning process is vanishingly small if national government is the relevant planning authority.

Reactions: yepthatguy
Interesting, I might make it then. I was hoping they are doing a Q&A session .

I’ve just got home, and to be totally honest I’m massively impressed.

Spoke to a number of people including Page Thompson, who did a 10-15min presentation with another chap. They were the 2 actual Universal people there and were happy to talk to people after.

Photography and video was all allowed no probs.

There will be some on here who attended who might have some bits to share in more detail, but I just wanted to post to say it was awesome!

Even got a free chocolate toothpaste. They clearly understand that level of detail which I’m sure a lot of people are lost on.

When I got there the queue was about 100 people to get in. When I left about an hour later it was the same, steady moving all very clam and chilled.

People just seemed curious and calmly excited. No protesters, no complaints, no hassle.

It was very cool.

Glad to hear that yep, I feel real positive now. This engagement was the one I was worried that we'd see the NIMBY's but seems not to be the case and I'm reasonably optimistic it'll be that way for the rest of today and the next one.

Were there any details or anything they talked about that we may not have seen in the PDF's? I'm not talking rides or anything but just general stuff, the PDF was detailed but you always hope to find new nuggets of info during public engagements.

Oh you should go a couple more times and pick up more choccy toothpaste and then start a bidding war on here :p. I wouldn't mind bidding on one :p.

I was there at 11am and when I left I couldn't believe the queue to get in. All very positive from what I could hear, heard one person concerned about construction traffic through Ampthill, but the Universal employee gave assurance that no construction traffic would go through there. From the talks I was having with "Universal people", if anything I was the one sounding cautious when in discussion. They were talking as if it's already decided to go ahead and they can't wait to get started. Obviously the final decision probably hasn't been made.

Not sure if true or not, but they said during a presentation that they have done a few public consultations around the world, and this one is the most welcoming in terms of what is planned so far.

It was great to have a wander around, chat and have a cup of tea and chocolate toothpaste.

I was there at 11am and when I left I couldn't believe the queue to get in. All very positive from what I could hear, heard one person concerned about construction traffic through Ampthill, but the Universal employee gave assurance that no construction traffic would go through there. From the talks I was having with "Universal people", if anything I was the one sounding cautious when in discussion. They were talking as if it's already decided to go ahead and they can't wait to get started. Obviously the final decision probably hasn't been made.

Not sure if true or not, but they said during a presentation that they have done a few public consultations around the world, and this one is the most welcoming in terms of what is planned so far.

It was great to have a wander around, chat and have a cup of tea and chocolate toothpaste.

Glad to hear that, also nice to see that actual constructive questions were asked and answered. Enjoy your choccy toothpaste.

Just been to consultation. Very busy and lots of people to ask questions of.
Shaun and Charlotte from Theme Park Worldwide were in front of me, very friendly and they filmed presentation.
Two snippets I found out.
First, this seems to be relying very much on the level of Government support in improving infrastructure. I get the impression that if the U.K. does not promise investment this may be a non starter.
Manor Road is not destined to close, but confirmed they have purchased some houses.
I heard one rep say that they always purchase land before going into the research phase and if it falls through they just sell it again.

I heard a couple of negative comments but they were not serious moans and they would generally have been overcome if they looked through all the documents online.

The speakers did say the turnout had surprised them and also that they had never experienced the level of positivity here that they had in any of their other projects.

All in all, not a lot more than is online but worth the visit.

Glad to hear that yep, I feel real positive now. This engagement was the one I was worried that we'd see the NIMBY's but seems not to be the case and I'm reasonably optimistic it'll be that way for the rest of today and the next one.

Were there any details or anything they talked about that we may not have seen in the PDF's? I'm not talking rides or anything but just general stuff, the PDF was detailed but you always hope to find new nuggets of info during public engagements.

Oh you should go a couple more times and pick up more choccy toothpaste and then start a bidding war on here :p. I wouldn't mind bidding on one :p.

I wrote some notes after…
  • I spoke to a chap called Gidon Freeman. Very nice knowledgable person, who answered some good questions.
  • I think he thought I have concerns and when I said it’s the future he just winked at me lolol
  • Highways agencies will have to pay for the slip roads and seem happy to pay for them.
  • Manor Road complete refurb to allow shuttle busses and poss bendy busses from wixam station.
  • Manor Road Will be a public road
  • Discounts for locals on annual passes
  • EMR (east mids rail) really up for this As it will fill a lot of empty trains supposedly.
  • Potentially St Pancras to wixams no Luton stops. A dedicated train in addition to what will already run
  • I also spoke to Page Thompson after the presentation who said they are working with both parties in gov. He said he has spoken with Keir Starmer and listed many others. He said they have all been fantastic. (What else could he say lol)
Not sure if this helps?

• I spoke to a chap called Gidon Freeman. Very nice knowledgable person, who answered some good questions.
  • I think he thought I have concerns and when I said it’s the future he just winked at me lolol
  • Highways agencies will have to pay for the slip roads and seem happy to pay for them.
  • Manor Road complete refurb to allow shuttle busses and poss bendy busses from wixam station.
  • EMR (east mids rail) really up for this As it will fill a lot of empty trains supposedly.
  • Potentially St Pancras to wixams no Luton stops. A dedicated train in addition to what will already run
  • Page Thompson said they are working with both parties in gov. He said he has spoken with Keir Starmer and listed many others.
Not sure if this helps?

That's perfect, thanks.

The Manor Road refurb in regards to busses sounds good, wonder if they'll bus people from Milton Keynes too. Also great that they're talking to both gov's, so they're not blindsided after the election.

*edit* I've quoted both your posts today on towerstreet (with credit and a link), so you're becoming a mini-celeb over there, a real yep the guy so to speak :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: yepthatguy and Nico
  • I also spoke to Page Thompson after the presentation who said they are working with both parties in gov. He said he has spoken with Keir Starmer and listed many others. He said they have all been fantastic. (What else could he say lol)
Not sure if this helps?
Good questions. I struggled to get near anyone to ask questions due to all the other people, so tended to pick stuff up overhearing other peoples conversations.

Reactions: yepthatguy and Nico