Universal Great Britain | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Another update from Bedford Council regarding the Universal proposal, confirming much of what we know already. Looks like the election has slowed things slightly, as we've discussed. Nice to see that there is work examining options for improving the M1/A421 interchange at Junction 13. Currently sees queues at peak times, and likely to get significantly worse at kicking out time from the park. This was one of the issues raised by locals as needing consideration.

Bedford update.jpg

Looking through Bedford Council's updates to the Planning Inspectorate on their Local Plan 2040, I think confirms what I've suspected for a little while. Land on the northern parcel labelled Mixed Use in the Phase 2 plan is likely to be taken up at least in part by housing developments rather than anything directly related to theme park(s). Bedford Council will work with Universal to determine the scale of any residential development on the land that they now own so that the likely contribution to housing supply in the borough can be assessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bedfordmassive
Another update from Bedford Council regarding the Universal proposal, confirming much of what we know already. Looks like the election has slowed things slightly, as we've discussed. Nice to see that there is work examining options for improving the M1/A421 interchange at Junction 13. Currently sees queues at peak times, and likely to get significantly worse at kicking out time from the park. This was one of the issues raised by locals as needing consideration.

View attachment 22436
Thanks for sharing these! Am I right in thinking this is the first public mention of the 2030 date?

Reactions: Della and Alicia
Yes, but that's kinda my point. Not inferred. To me "6 years" means anything less than 7, which could technically could have made it 2031.
Given that there are so many moving parts in a project of this scale I think it's difficult to assign the "official" label to anything at this point, from Universal or other major stakeholders, if by that we are looking for certainty about when the park will open. I think "infer" is probably the best we can do at this point. I doubt even Universal itself could say when it will 'officially open'.

Given that there are so many moving parts in a project of this scale I think it's difficult to assign the "official" label to anything at this point, from Universal or other major stakeholders, if by that we are looking for certainty about when the park will open. I think "infer" is probably the best we can do at this point. I doubt even Universal itself could say when it will 'officially open'.
I not "looking for certainty", I just thought it was an interesting thing to point out and maybe discuss, but nevermind eh?

I not "looking for certainty", I just thought it was an interesting thing to point out and maybe discuss, but nevermind eh?
I think at this point the opening date is an unknowable bit of information. Having said that, my best guess for the opening date is 10 April 2030 ;)

I think at this point the opening date is an unknowable bit of information. Having said that, my best guess for the opening date is 10 April 2030 ;)
Not quite sure what's made you decide being patronising was a good option here. Also you are completely missing the point in an attempt to talk down to me for some reason.

Not quite sure what's made you decide being patronising was a good option here. Also you are completely missing the point in an attempt to talk down to me for some reason.
What? I'm absolutely not trying to talk down to you. Why would I want to do that? I'm simply expressing my opinion.

What? I'm absolutely not trying to talk down to you. Why would I want to do that? I'm simply expressing my opinion.
This isn't a hard one to work out mate. I questioned if it was the first public mention of 2030 in any form, and you then started explaining to me why the opening date isn't easy to predict.

I contacted the email address on the website asking if the public footpaths are still okay to use since all the “no trespassing” signs went up, but have had no response.

A couple of other locals said they emailed about simple things but didn’t get a reply.

I’m assuming the inbox stopped being monitored when the consultation finished even though it’s the address they send the mailing list from.