Universal In-Park Transportation/Tram | Inside Universal Forums

Universal In-Park Transportation/Tram

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 13, 2012
Tampa, Florida
So I went to Busch Gardens the other day & had a thaught- it seems all of the parks, except for Seaworld & Universal, have trams that take you from the parking lot up to the park entrance, as well as a train or a skyride of some kind that takes you throughout the park.

So would it be possible to add a tram at Universal, like for example build a pathway that goes underneath the people movers & City Walk, or in some way maybe have it go around it, or maybe even build the road to go THROUGH City Walk? I might sound stupid to some people as I dont know anything about construction, so if there is no way to do this with the current layout, than I understand, but I was just curious. Once you park, its a good 15-20 min walk before you reach the gate for either park, & I, with Im sure other people, dont do anything or go anywhere in City Walk, so I thaught it might help alleviate crowds as youd only have the people that actually WANT to be in City Walk just hang out there.

& what about a transport in Universal, such as a train that goes through out the park. I know there will be the Hogwarts Express which will take you to each park, but how about just a run of the mill train like at Busch Gardens to take you through out the park?

Even better, I'd LOVE to see them install a skyride!

So these were just some random ideas, & adding any of these would add some more diversity entertainment/ride wise I think, as opposed to just building basically the same two types of rides over & over again- indoor dark rides or roller coasters.

SeaWorld does have trams for the overflow parking and I'll pass on the trams at Universal. But then again I usually walk to my car or to the gate at every park except BGT.

What about a triangle skyride that goes from where the two parking garages connect and stops in front of both gates.

Under the people movers is the street and new mini-golf. Then if you take away space in CityWalk for trams it would cause more congestion than it would relieve. So no good.

Inside the parks there is just little nooks of space left. No way to get a train in there. Though they could bring back the boats at IOA.

Universal probably considers the moving walkways their transportation from the parking structures to CW and the parks.

I don't think there's enough of a need for in-park transport here as in other parks because of the size, and also don't think we'll see anything being implemented due to the available space, or lack thereof.

Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with Uni and less so with the other resorts, but I find the walks and getting around UOR much less tedious than at the rest of the resorts. The layout is really simple, yet effective. Well except for the Popeye/Toon Lagoon nook which still confuses me from time to time if I am not paying attention :lol: but for the rest of the resort, it's just walking around a loop. Pretty easy :thumbs:

I have to agree with Felipe.

The moving walkways ARE the main source of guest transport from the parking decks to CityWalk and then the parks. And while you specifically may be a casual guest that will never partake in any of CityWalk's offerings, from Universal's perspective, the current setup is a guaranteed money making machine. By literally forcing all guests to pass through their shopping and dining district, it exponentially increases the amount of guests that will decide to spend some dough.

So offering a means of transport directly to park gates, meaning less money going to the entertainment, retail, and dining options, would simply be a massive mistake for them financially.

And come on, it's not that long of a walk from the end of the walkway bridge to either park entrance, considering the amount of walking a typical guest then has to do while in the parks themselves. :lol:

Universal designed CityWalk specifically so that you would have to pass through CityWalk to get from the parking structures to either park. So I would seriously doubt that they would want to come up with something that would defeat that design.

As far as in-park transportation, both parks are on the smaller size as far as theme parks go, so I don't believe that there is a need. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a sky ride/gondola type system connecting the 2 parks. Probably near the entrances.

Or they could start something like a CityWalk Trolley that just runs the loop around the CityWalk Lagoon with stops at CityWalk (near the water playground), IOA, Hard Rock Cafe and USF back to the CityWalk stop. Similar to the one at The Grove in CA.

Famers_Market_a_sm.JPG

Last edited:
Universal probably considers the moving walkways their transportation from the parking structures to CW and the parks.

I have to agree with Felipe.

The moving walkways ARE the main source of guest transport from the parking decks to CityWalk and then the parks.

This is all well and good, I have no issues at all with having moving sidewalks as the their transportation system. Now, if they could only keep them running!

As far as in-park transportation, both parks are on the smaller size as far as theme parks go, so I don't believe that there is a need. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a sky ride/gondola type system connecting the 2 parks. Probably near the entrances.

I would have loved to see something like this. But I feel like HE coming kinda throws any idea like that out the window. Now they're going to have the best park to park transportation on the planet.

No to any transportation options. We have legs for a reason! Think of it as killing two birds with one stone. You get your cardio in for the day AND get to have fun at a theme park at the same time. :wave:

So I went to Busch Gardens the other day & had a thaught- it seems all of the parks, except for Seaworld & Universal, have trams that take you from the parking lot up to the park entrance, as well as a train or a skyride of some kind that takes you throughout the park.

So would it be possible to add a tram at Universal, like for example build a pathway that goes underneath the people movers & City Walk, or in some way maybe have it go around it, or maybe even build the road to go THROUGH City Walk? I might sound stupid to some people as I dont know anything about construction, so if there is no way to do this with the current layout, than I understand, but I was just curious. Once you park, its a good 15-20 min walk before you reach the gate for either park, & I, with Im sure other people, dont do anything or go anywhere in City Walk, so I thaught it might help alleviate crowds as youd only have the people that actually WANT to be in City Walk just hang out there.

& what about a transport in Universal, such as a train that goes through out the park. I know there will be the Hogwarts Express which will take you to each park, but how about just a run of the mill train like at Busch Gardens to take you through out the park?

Even better, I'd LOVE to see them install a skyride!

So these were just some random ideas, & adding any of these would add some more diversity entertainment/ride wise I think, as opposed to just building basically the same two types of rides over & over again- indoor dark rides or roller coasters.

As a child, before the Suess High in The Sky Trolley or whatever is called even opened to the public, I always wondered, why not make this a ride that will take you around Islands of adventure? But I left it at that. I always wondered.

Then I got a bit older, visited other theme parks , played RCt3 etc. EVERY park in Roller coaster Tycoon there was a transportation system around the park it is needed. People use it as transportation, or a ride to relax. It is a fantastic option to have in real parks and despite what anyone on here has to say I personally would love to see it in UNI.

Now I know there will be people who will say it isn't needed and everything, I understand that and you might be right.

It would be cool if they had two stations though. One in UNI, near Fear Factor, and One is Islands Near Toon Lagoon theatre.. It could be a "Park Tour" from the sky. Something along the lines of the Tomorrowland Transit Peoplemover, that takes guests around the park. Heck why not take it through some of the sound stages in the middle of the two parks and throw in some shots people can't see. It's probably expensive lol. But I do understand where you are coming from.

I hope something like this from UNI one day. One reason I missed Jaws, it was one of the most relaxed rides at UNI. Uni doesn't have that. The suess Ride is the closest thing, it's just so whacky lol yet we still get on it because we need a break from walking and would love to do that through a ride.

OK, so the tram idea is out. What about a shuttle monorail similar to whats at the airports? It would run long side of where the people movers are & take you from the garages right up to the entrance of City Walk at least. Again, probably imposssible, just random pointless brainstorming.

Out of all of these ideas though, if we could have just one, Id want the skyride. Again, probably not needed/possible, just an addition I'll just have to keep on my wish list.

I personally don't see any "monorail" type attraction going into Universal. The parks arent that big that they would need a transportation system. If a third park opens, maybe they could consider it.

Are we really that American that we can't walk on a MOVING walkway from our cars to the park entrance? If you don't like the walk from the garage, park in VIP or get dropped off at the drop off area by USF. I'm a pretty chubby person and the walk doesn't wind me and make me curse to the heavens. Even after a day in the parks it isn't bad.

The only thing that is a pain is transferring from park to park, but Universal is building the train, and I know I'll still walk it in busy season, but in slow season I'll use that for transportation.

Are we really that American that we can't walk on a MOVING walkway from our cars to the park entrance? If you don't like the walk from the garage, park in VIP or get dropped off at the drop off area by USF. I'm a pretty chubby person and the walk doesn't wind me and make me curse to the heavens. Even after a day in the parks it isn't bad.

The only thing that is a pain is transferring from park to park, but Universal is building the train, and I know I'll still walk it in busy season, but in slow season I'll use that for transportation.

Ha ha. I am 100% American, I do not mind the walk. But I am fit anyways.

It would be neat from the ride aspect to have something different. Like at parks that do have a train I like to ride and relax, and do the whole round trip. But that is at parks like BGT where you see animals and nature etc.

But inside the parks they do not have the space to do something tasteful, as well as the fact that the parks are small enough that there is no real need. Having some kind of elevated rail through a park would just kill the theming, as you could get it to match one section but not all that it would go through.

Busch Gardens Tampa is a HUGE park. It's 335 acres all said and done, USF and IOA are both in the 100 range and they have lagoons in the middle. I can understand parks that big having transportation. Epcot barely has anything, and Magic Kingdom only has transportation if you need to get to the very back left or right.