The Future of PortAventura | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You say that, but you are leaving out one that had a massive spike of exponential growth that occurred due to a EU grant issued to it (that has since been lapsed); and that is Energylandia.

You are basing that of what can happen "today" and in the future, off of that of the past; when I would imagine Comcast would be smart to work as close as they can to ensure a good relationship and communication with those in the UK (or anywhere else in the continent of Europe). Once again, it's not like they don't have businesses already fully operating within the region and territories as it stands right now.
Energylandia is a theme park that feeds off from tourists visiting Krakov. Even if it's big in size, I wouldn't consider it "big" as it has no infrastructure other than the main theme park and lots of room for additions. Even then, they have started technically small, just like Puy du Fou España, and are looking to become a fully fledged "resort" with hotels and other amenities.

What you are suggesting Comcast could do, building a big resort from scratch, still hasn't been attempted since EuroDisney. And the projects that have seen the light of day, like Paramount Park, never got past the conceptual stages.

Edit: I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just very unlikely.

Last edited:
Energylandia is a theme park that feeds off from tourists visiting Krakov. Even if it's big in size, I wouldn't consider it "big" as it has no infrastructure other than the main theme park and lots of room for additions. Even then, they have started technically small, just like Puy du Fou España, and are looking to become a fully fledged "resort" with hotels and other amenities.

What you are suggesting Comcast could do, building a big resort from scratch, still hasn't been attempted since the EuroDisney. And the projects that have seen the light of day, like Paramount Park, never got past the conceptual stages.

Edit: I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just very unlikely.

The thing that towed the Paramount Park (and by extension, Universal London); was the location of which the land was originally going to be on being deemed illegal due to the endangered species that was located at that area.

Also could've sworn those projects had political factors with the groups operating the projects in the region being put into administrative questioning and fining due to the timeframes.

Interesting to see someone do that. Though I would find it funny if someone was trying to do a Universal Hollywood Resort situation. Either way, interested to see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Reactions: UER
I don't even think this is Core's fault here--as he was the one that fell for the Universal Hollywood Resort URL at the time when that was posted.

Fool Me once, shame on you; fool me twice...

• Haha
Reactions: Scott W.
This url was purchased through GoDaddy... But both Universal-branded urls and Port Aventura World use MarkMonitor Inc to register domains... so this one seems odd to me.
That domain has been seized since late August. Before that, you could see its contents and directly make purchase offers to the owner via the GoDaddy web. Now it's impossible to do so.

Edit: This could well be a situation akin to Disneyland Paris keeping the eurodisney.com domain to ensure that nobody gets scammed by someone using the resort's old name.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Alicia
This URL was actually originally used by the company back when Universal owned the park apparently, and was registered in 2001. It was dormant for years, then started having activity again in recent years, but then as a blog by some guy in Pennsylvania lol

It's possible Universal or Port Aventura World could have gotten it back since it was last updated earlier this year. The last cached version on wayback machine was from March 27, of this year and it was still the lame blog site then.

PAW1.jpg

PAW2.jpg

PAW3.jpg

EDIT: Core conceded it was just owned by a fan:

Reactions: Calmix and Jake S

stephen-a-smith.gif

ok this time i am not involved i promise..... i am reformed
unrelated but i saw this at the office a while back and thought of y'all :heart:
1701042713798.jpeg

This URL was actually originally used by the company back when Universal owned the park apparently, and was registered in 2001. It was dormant for years, then started having activity again in recent years, but then as a blog by some guy in Pennsylvania lol

It's possible Universal or Port Aventura World could have gotten it back since it was last updated earlier this year. The last cached version on wayback machine was from March 27, of this year and it was still the lame blog site then.

View attachment 20130

View attachment 20131

View attachment 20132
It was purchased in Spain by some PortAventura fans, though the billing addres and info were from the USA. It has since changed owners and stayed dormant. My best guess is that it will eventually be reused to redirect guests to the new web

stephen-a-smith.gif

ok this time i am not involved i promise..... i am reformed
unrelated but i saw this at the office a while back and thought of y'all :heart:
View attachment 20133
I tried to tell him not to share any info without having it contrasted last june. What is his deal?

Also, back then he got some info he shouldn't have known right, so at least one of his sources is indeed reliable

One thing to remember. Presently the cost of borrowing for corporations is very high, so that could complicate matters unless an investment group is also involved.

Reactions: Grabnar
It wasn't out of choice. The built beyond their possibilities and the resort was bleeding money from the start because of that. Money was spent but debts kept adding up to the point where closing the park was even a possibility. Disney eventually sold most of their stock in the park and only bought it back in 2017.

Universal wanted to build their own resort at around that time, but saw that the model used for EuroDisney wouldn't work out and went for a smaller park instead.

This is literally my area of research. I have interviewed people involved in this whole ordeal, including economists and politicians of that time. I can also share some of the articles I've cited.

So if there's an area where I am 100% sure of the facts, its this one.

View attachment 20129

It is very much a choice to not invest in a park (and a half) DISNEY built, with their name on the gate. Just like it's very much remains a choice to not invest into the Orlando parks right now until the court cases are over.

I really have no idea what your point is to be honest. Either Comcast are buying Portaventura, which you have confidently stated ad nauseum, that they are. Or is your point that Spain is where they SHOULD build a new park, ergo any other option people on this forum bring to the table is no bueno? it's looking a lot like you are disagreeing with people for sport.

If Universal do drop 3-4Billion on a new Park in the UK, or Belgium, or Portugal or wherever the hell they decide to do it, it will get get government support and will get built. And no 20 year story about will make the slighest bit of difference because it is a major investment from a massive company with very deep pockets.

The thing that towed the Paramount Park (and by extension, Universal London); was the location of which the land was originally going to be on being deemed illegal due to the endangered species that was located at that area.

Also could've sworn those projects had political factors with the groups operating the projects in the region being put into administrative questioning and fining due to the timeframes.

Interesting to see someone do that. Though I would find it funny if someone was trying to do a Universal Hollywood Resort situation. Either way, interested to see how it pans out.
Not illegal, Natural England, purely an advisory group, declared it a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) which honestly means diddly squat, half the site was dedicate to nature reserve. I used to work at London's third biggest airport which was also an SSSI. Inci
The fact is, the site was a very poor choice, and more importantly the funding for the project was either very shady or not really there in the first place, it came across as the concept art and declarations were designed to attract investors that never came. Not to mention they never had any IP worth spending billions on.

Reactions: Grabnar
The thought of Universal buying Portaventura is super exciting and seems like the obvious choice. With flights round Europe so cheap it makes sense that they would use that as their big resort location. It also helps that its nice and warm there for a good chunk of the year.

I honestly can't see them building in the UK - the climate is just not great for a theme park. I used to live there and went to Thorpe Park many a time and have frozen half to death coming off Tidal Wave in mid March. Between the crappy weather and the amount of height/land/protected newt regulations they have, along with any parcel of land near a major airport most likely being pretty small, I just don't see it.

I honestly can't see them building in the UK - the climate is just not great for a theme park. I used to live there and went to Thorpe Park many a time and have frozen half to death coming off Tidal Wave in mid March. Between the crappy weather and the amount of height/land/protected newt regulations they have, along with any parcel of land near a major airport most likely being pretty small, I just don't see it.
i hope they considered all these issues before they went and bought all that land,