Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

“How cool does that coaster look?”

“umm- pretty much as cool as the Coaster just to the left of entrance every time I’ve walked into IOA”.
:lol:

The launch tube is certainly a lot cooler looking than Hulk. The photos in that tweet appear to be older.

img_5457.jpg

I think it's been mentioned that this is a slightly modified layout of Hulk, hopefully smoother.

I don't see it. More just fitting around their spot. The fact Hulk was 100% redone and still rides the same pretty much proves "it is what it is". Which, of course, is a badass coaster.

I donno, my first ride on the redo Hulk was rough. Later rides were fine so it could have been the train I was on.

Most of the same footers were used on the redo so it was pretty much the exact same.

A fresh build will allow for some smoothing out of the rougher parts.

I donno, my first ride on the redo Hulk was rough. Later rides were fine so it could have been the train I was on.

Most of the same footers were used on the redo so it was pretty much the exact same.

I swear they rebuilt the track and new bodies, bt used the old chassis for the redo

From my experience it depends on getting an inner vs. outer seat. Because I’m always a single rider you can guess where I get put.

For some odd reason, this past year it has been smoother than when they first redid it. I was one of the ones that complained of the rough ride after the refurb. But now Alene even likes it, and she mostly dislikes coasters. Quite a few different seating areas on numerous rides in May, November 2019 and Jan./Feb. 2020, and good to go on all of them.

For some odd reason, this past year it has been smoother than when they first redid it. I was one of the ones that complained of the rough ride after the refurb. But now Alene even likes it, and she mostly dislikes coasters. Quite a few different seating areas on numerous rides in May, November 2019 and Jan./Feb. 2020, and good to go on all of them.

tenor.gif

The heartline has definitely been reworked for this Hulk clone. I haven't kept up too much with the construction of the Beijing park, but it would not surprise me if this is a sitdown floorless. The entrance to the corkscrew out of the helix around the station/ tube has been completely smoothed out. The rate at which the track rolls out of the zero-G roll from the launch is pretty different too. Maybe to eliminate any unnecessary leg flailing from rough transitions on a floorless?

EDIT: Photo for reference.
img_5430.jpg

The heartline has definitely been reworked for this Hulk clone. I haven't kept up too much with the construction of the Beijing park, but it would not surprise me if this is a sitdown floorless. The entrance to the corkscrew out of the helix around the station/ tube has been completely smoothed out. The rate at which the track rolls out of the zero-G roll from the launch is pretty different too. Maybe to eliminate any unnecessary leg flailing from rough transitions on a floorless?

EDIT: Photo for reference.
img_5430.jpg
Between you and @gabe3235 ’s analysis of these coasters - you two are invaluable.

Between you and @gabe3235 ’s analysis of these coasters - you two are invaluable.
I just calls it likes I sees it. It could very well be a regular sit-down variant and they decided to just hit the smooth vertices button a few times. IMO that specific transition to corkscrew was always janky on Hulk and I was super surprised when they didn't take that opportunity to rework it a bit for Hulk 2.0.

Finally a look into KFP! Albeit not much to see frankly but gives us an idea of the size their using. Should be interesting to see how they pull off not being able to see the ceiling
The first thing that stood out to me in that KFP pic was the ceiling. I was expecting it to have been painted/or a projected sky. Maybe they won't use the lights on the ceiling so that it's completely black and then they will just use lighting on and around the buildings instead?

The rock work around the TF coaster looks so beautiful though!

It certainly does! :thumbsup:

The first thing that stood out to me in that KFP pic was the ceiling. I was expecting it to have been painted/or a projected sky. Maybe they won't use the lights on the ceiling so that it's completely black and then they will just use lighting on and around the buildings instead?

It certainly does! :thumbsup:
I assume some sort of projection on the ceiling, it just wouldn’t be on during construction. At least I hope so hahaha but we shall see. If it’s a projected sky, seems like it’s going to be a really nice little enivronment but we shall see

I have read somewhere that the Kung Fu Panda indoor area was originally based on another franchise /theme but that the theming of the land got changed last minute before the start of construction, keeping all of the planned elements but with another theme.
Does anyone know what was the previously planned theme for the land and why this sudden change happened ?

I have read somewhere that the Kung Fu Panda indoor area was originally based on another franchise /theme but that the theming of the land got changed last minute before the start of construction, keeping all of the planned elements but with another theme.
Does anyone know what was the previously planned theme for the land and why this sudden change happened ?
Don't want to say too much here, but I do believe this is true. What the property was who knows, but my guess is they wanted to establish their Dreamworks properties a bit more in their parks, and KFP was already a sell where this park is being built. No clue why nothing else happened with the other property.

I believe the original concept was based on Spongebob. After research, they found that it wasn’t a popular franchise there. This all happened around the time that Universal gained the rights to Dreamworks properties, and they went with KFP as it had a greater relevance in the country.

Some great pics on themeparx, showing even more of KFP and the launch tunnel (inside) for the Transformers coaster. All looks great! Still excited to see what they do with the ceiling. Since EU is rumored to have projects fog in Frankenstein's village, I can't imagine a project nighttime sky is that difficult to pull off? We shall see, just hoping the ceiling isn't glaring.

Edit: Just reassessed the images. The ceiling looks more like framing studs than cross beams. I could see them drywalling the ceiling. Projection would work best on a flat surface. At minimum you could probably bury some fiber optics to replicate starlight and paint the drywall black.