Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

I believe the original concept was based on Spongebob. After research, they found that it wasn’t a popular franchise there. This all happened around the time that Universal gained the rights to Dreamworks properties, and they went with KFP as it had a greater relevance in the country.

I would have not imagined Spongebob would have ever been confirmed for a whole land, but building a whole Bikini Bottom area indoor (with similar effects to mermaid lagoon at TDS) sounds cool !

For some reason I feel I thought this building was physically a tad bit taller, so I never really accounted the ceiling even being a potential issue. Im sure its something they've figured out, just curious how it will look. Orlando needs an inside land, KFP replacing Lost Continent makes a lot of sense for me down the line at IOA. IOA needs indoor stuff to do and another, or more modern, family attraction available. KFP fits the bills perfectly and I think this showbuilding fits the LC plot without having to take out Mythos as well.

Edit: Just reassessed the images. The ceiling looks more like framing studs than cross beams. I could see them drywalling the ceiling. Projection would work best on a flat surface. At minimum you could probably bury some fiber optics to replicate starlight and paint the drywall black.
The original plans before it was Panda had the front half as a semi-transparent tinted glass ceiling to let in some light but without the actual sky visible through it. The rest was to have projection effects so it's possible they continue that. It wasn't like the interior of the Mexico pavilion, but more like a neat looking architectural design that let in natural light if you happen to look up. No clue if that's changed or not for Panda though.

Comcast is about to take a serious bath with this park, I hope they aren't in too deep. At least they aren't Disney, they are in way over their head...

Not to get political but we are at 1938 all over again, Hong Kong is Czechoslovakia and Austria and Tiawan will be Poland.

Last edited:
This has been coming for 'eight' years, ever since Xi changed China's direction backwards to the past. China has been on the US Intelligence communities warnings since then, as the most significant threat to US security. ...That said, the Beijing park was never intended as a attraction to pull in 'significant' tourism. China is still a difficult country to tour. The park is intended as a national park for China's various ethnic groups, and while I've stated years ago on these forums that I thought it was a bad idea for Universal, even though their primary aim was to get a foothold in the film market there, to build a park, I think it will probably do well enough that Universal won't lose any money.

I have no idea what the economics of China look like in the future so I have no clue if this was a good investment or not BUT, this seems like a terrific park, one I wish we had in the US. I mean, I get we practically do but honestly KFP, JW, and a full Minions area seem really fun to me. Can’t imagine I’d be visiting this park anytime soon but it looks like it’s really well done

Some of the KFP vehicles for the carousel, and the carousel itself can be spotted in here! Really cool we're getting sneak peek inside some of these rides. Also a look at the Gyrosphere ride building (I believe) with light paddock theming/mentioning on the outside.

Brief look inside the boat ride for KFP. Seems like the boat will be of similar size to a River Adventure/Madagascar like system from Singapore. Excited to see more from this. Any rumors for the length of this ride? Building seems large-ish, so I'm assuming they can get 6+ minutes out of this one.

What if the JW Dark Ride starts out with the Mr. DNA animated piece before you move to a big window looking into the Lab (screen) then moving to the mosasaur scene from Hollywood before moving "outside" where "something goes wrong"?

Last edited:
What if the JW Dark Ride starts out with the Mr. DNA animated piece before you move to a big window looking into the Lab (screen) then moving to the mosasaur scene from Hollywood before moving outside where "something goes wrong"?
I know it’s kind of the point of the franchise, but I’ve always wanted a Jurassic ride where something doesn’t go wrong. Just a normal ride that you would ride if you went to a real Jurassic Park. Seeing cool dinosaurs and whatnot.

I feel a 2020 version of a Spider-Man ride with slightly more enhanced sets could be special and less redundant than Transformers. Might make the ride system feel a bit more unique.

New photos of the Jurassic World Dark Ride on Themeparx. Yep, that's a Spider-Man ride vehicle. Also, plenty of other good photos on there, including a video of the Despicable Me pier with a junior coaster found in one of the links.

New photos of the Jurassic World Dark Ride on Themeparx. Yep, that's a Spider-Man ride vehicle. Also, plenty of other good photos on there, including a video of the Despicable Me pier with a junior coaster found in one of the links.
Yep, Spiderman: Jurassic World confirmed.