Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open) | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone know if there are state mandates on expanding the park (i.e partner corporation must initiate major expansion once every 5 years, etc)?

Phase 2 is already planned, and theres about 40 acres of expansion space before that

Exactly.

In theory the first expansion is probably budgetted for as they cut F&F: Dumpster fire during construction so may have the funds available to use for something else.

I'm not sure Hagrid would work here unless they build it mostly indoors. Nintendo is still too unknown and I remember an Egypt land with ROTM featuring in several park concept plans over the years, inluding actual park plans, so who knows! :shrug:

Last edited:
Exactly.

In theory the first expansion is probably budgetted for as they cut F&F: Dumpster fire during construction so may have the funds available to use for something else.

I'm not sure Hagrid would work here unless they build it mostly indoors. Nintendo is still too unknown and I remember an Egypt land with ROTM featuring in several park concept plans over the years, inluding actual park plans, so who knows! :shrug:
No clue if they still want it, but a Movie Monsters land with Skull Island was one idea.

I may be in the minority but I didn't find the new JWadvernture ride all that exciting looking. I am gonna put this out there, yes, the chase scene is a highlight and needs pointing out but after that??? My initial iss is the ride seems to have an identity crisis. Does it wanna be a retelling of the first jurassic world or does it want to be its own thing? WHat makes the other jurassic rides stand out to me is they all incorporate natural light, having portions outside. That seems , to me, to promote the feeling of me in a real zoo, a real jurassic park vs the controlled and dark environment of this ride. Watching it made me feel like it's night time throughout the entire ride. Also, it felt this is the tamest we have seen the SCOOP vehicles navigate a ride. It wasn't as thrilling as I fell it could have been. Spiderman and transformers toss you around with spinns, directional changes but didn't seem like it does that. By no means is it a bad ride and I love the usage of all the animatronics but I wouldn't mind if it didn't come over to the states. Again, my observation and opinion.

Reactions: JaySalahi
Part of the original plans was to open a original non IP based park next door designed by universal 3 years after the opening of Universal Studios Beijing.
That's a rather aggressive timeframe.

I thought I recalled someone saying park two was purportedly the park of native Chinese IP. Rides based on the four classic Chinese novels and the like. I'm not sure if that falls within the purview of 'IP'.

Reactions: RFRees
No clue if they still want it, but a Movie Monsters land with Skull Island was one idea.
That's a rather aggressive timeframe.

I thought I recalled someone saying park two was purportedly the park of native Chinese IP. Rides based on the four classic Chinese novels and the like. I'm not sure if that falls within the purview of 'IP'.

the opposite of what ive seen of plans for hogwarts express and more potter in Phase 2 park

the opposite of what ive seen of plans for hogwarts express and more potter in Phase 2 park

I'm curious if you mean the below or something else?
I know they used a mirror image of USF for the plans (showing Diagon) but just so they could show a second park, not of what they are actually going to build.
Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 18-20-40 Universal Studios Beijing.jpg

Reactions: Suchomimus
Isn't Hogsmeade on the far east of that map? Wouldn't that be impractical to build a train that runs all the way through (or around) the park to get to the sister site to the west? This would be like Hogshead being where Marvel is at in IOA.

I'm curious if you mean the below or something else?
I know they used a mirror image of USF for the plans (showing Diagon) but just so they could show a second park, not of what they are actually going to build.
View attachment 15253
Respectfully, what youre showing me isn't a concept drawing theres nothing abstract about it, its looks to me like a 15% design drawing with a master plan of overall layout and no detail or content decided. That's basically what we have seen for Epic Universe too. I could take the actual first park plans and overlay them onto them fit into this drawing exactly. as well as all the other hotels. theyve even gone to the trouble of drawing BOH and expansion pads. If theyve drawn in a mirror of USF into that area, thats intentional. As far as what I mentioned I read about diagon going in, who knows? what i saw was that plans were in place for hogwarts express to connect the parks which from a business point of view makes perfect sense considering how successful it was splitting potter over two parks in Orlando to drive ticket sales I came at it from a logistics pov of view about whether they could physically connect the two.....if so it would have to built the east side of the park which looks possible with that drawing, if anything, you showing me this supports that rumour. but thanks for the drawing id not seen that before.

Last edited:
Respectfully, what youre showing me isn't a concept drawing theres nothing abstract about it, its looks to me like a 15% design drawing with a master plan of overall layout and no detail or content decided. That's basically what we have seen for Epic Universe too. I could take the actual first park plans and overlay them onto them fit into this drawing exactly. as well as all the other hotels. theyve even gone to the trouble of drawing BOH and expansion pads. If theyve drawn in a mirror of USF into that area, thats intentional. As far as what I mentioned I read about diagon going in, who knows, if anything, you showing me this supports that rumour.

Maybe my original post wasn't clear, so let me clarify:

You suggested in your original post that you had seen plans/concepts for more potter & Hogwarts express in a 2nd park. I was simply asking if you meant the drawing I posted or had seen something else to back that up? I have been searching for details on Beijing from day 1 and have never uncovered any concept art for a 2nd park so was interested in what you had seen.

I don't think Universal intend to build a mirror image of USF in Beijing, this drawing is purely to show another potential park for goverment proof of concept approval, that's the reason it also shows a copy of Volcano bay.

The only information I have ever seen on the 2nd park is a suggestion that it will be more Chinese film and culture based than the 1st park.

I'm not in any way saying I dont believe you have seen something, was just curious as to what it was.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Maybe my original post wasn't clear, so let me clarify:

You suggested in your original post that you had seen plans/concepts for more potter & Hogwarts express in a 2nd park. I was simply asking if you meant the drawing I posted or had seen something else to back that up? I have been searching for details on Beijing from day 1 and have never uncovered any concept art for a 2nd park so was interested in what you had seen.

I don't think Universal intend to build a mirror image of USF in Beijing, this drawing is purely to show another potential park for goverment proof of concept approval, that's the reason it also shows a copy of Volcano bay.

The only information I have ever seen on the 2nd park is a suggestion that it will be more Chinese film and culture based than the 1st park.

I'm not in any way saying I dont believe you have seen something, was just curious as to what it was.

Oh i said the opposite of what Ive seen of plans, as in contradictory statements to yours. not drawings.

The drawing you showed is 15 % plans, which cost time and money to produce as a degree of planning and foresight needs to go into it. That would be completely unecessary to use to pitch to a government, concept art could work as well. I suspect the layout is locked down.

If you think of Epic Universe as it stands right now, the masterplan is locked in....the layout of the park......where utilities and service roads need to go. In that case work is further ahead as pipes have been buried etc. They have a general area where a show building will go because theyve planned everything that needs to make that attraction work. power water etc....that doesnt dictate what goes inside, of a general tweak to the design of the building so we could well see a theatre building being swapped out for another Eticket for examples, but that layout doesnt mean they would build another USF just that they could have settled on that general layout for the park, because they know what works.

Last edited:
The drawing you showed is 15 % plans, which cost time and money to produce as a degree of planning and foresight needs to go into it. That would be completely unecessary to use to pitch to a government, concept art could work as well. I suspect the layout is locked down.

Unecessary in the US, but in China? :shrug: Plus what's the expense when you just flip an already existing and old plan.

Disney did something similar with DLP, showed the French goverment a potential 2nd park and indoor waterpark, and for Shanghi their is a plan showing a copy of Expedition Everest roughly where Zootopia is being built. For projects this big they often put 'something' in but it's not what eventually gets built.

Guessing we will have to wait at least a few years before we find out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog