Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No, of course not.

I think EU stands a far greater chance of not happening than happening at this point though. And if it does happen I don’t think it will be given the green light to move forward within the next few years. I definitely don’t think it opens in 2024 either. That’s a pipe dream at this point

And Happy stated 2025 or 2026 as a possibility yet you disagreed? I’m sure Happy wouldn’t mind throwing in 2028 if it makes you feel better...

No, of course not.

I think EU stands a far greater chance of not happening than happening at this point though. And if it does happen I don’t think it will be given the green light to move forward within the next few years. I definitely don’t think it opens in 2024 either. That’s a pipe dream at this point
I understand your pessimism, but one thing Epic Universe has going for it is that a lot of the creative work is already completed, whereas alternative projects would probably need more design work . . . from the people they just laid off. So in that sense it feels to me like the choice is basically Epic Universe or nothing (or just building SNW in Kidzone). I just have a hard time seeing Comcast build "nothing" in the next half decade.

You might have more knowledge than me about what sorts of projects the laid off folks were working on, though. Were the UC layoffs concentrated on Epic Universe people? Or other projects? Or just all projects?
They just fired most of the people that were gonna work there. So who knows
Yeah it probably doesn't make much sense to build the BoH unless they plan to also build the park within a year or two afterward.

I think 2028 is more likely than 2025. But even in that case, it’s effectively “cancelled” in its current form.
I mean we may still get its current form in 2028, or whenever it opens. If EU isn't opening than Orlando as a whole likely isn't opening many new things to date. I believe there really weren't any rumors for post Jurassic World to begin with, so they had their sights set on this new park. If nobody is coming for the next 2-3 years, that pushes everything back that amount of time which leads to a 2027/2028 opening. As someone else mentioned, no need to shift ideas if they're not having crowds to begin with. Or some smaller ideas (i.e. rides not lands) get put into the current resort before EU. I don't think they're gonna cancel EU as they're very far in the process but it may be a later in the decade type thing.

I understand your pessimism, but one thing Epic Universe has going for it is that a lot of the creative work is already completed, whereas alternative projects would probably need more design work . . . from the people they just laid off. So in that sense it feels to me like the choice is basically Epic Universe or nothing (or just building SNW in Kidzone). I just have a hard time seeing Comcast build "nothing" in the next half decade.

You might have more knowledge than me about what sorts of projects the laid off folks were working on, though. Were the UC layoffs concentrated on Epic Universe people? Or other projects? Or just all projects?

It's true that a lot of work is probably "done", but the gist I get is that UC really cleaned house from top to bottom and is basically just the essential of the essential right now. I don't get the sense they'd have the man power to move ahead with something like EU even if things improve later next year to a significant enough degree.

I think if anything big happens at UOR in the near horizon, it'll be SNW going into KidZone.
I mean we may still get its current form in 2028, or whenever it opens. If EU isn't opening than Orlando as a whole likely isn't opening many new things to date. I believe there really weren't any rumors for post Jurassic World to begin with, so they had their sights set on this new park. If nobody is coming for the next 2-3 years, that pushes everything back that amount of time which leads to a 2027/2028 opening. As someone else mentioned, no need to shift ideas if they're not having crowds to begin with. Or some smaller ideas (i.e. rides not lands) get put into the current resort before EU. I don't think they're gonna cancel EU as they're very far in the process but it may be a later in the decade type thing.
I think we overvalue how "far" along in the process they are. They've done a lot of land clearing, but significant construction hasn't started.

I really doubt we would get the current form in 2028. I think if it gets pushed beyond like 2025 then they will be taking a hard look at IPs and ride systems for possible changes and improvements. (And replacing Nintendo if it goes to KidZone.)

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
It's true that a lot of work is probably "done", but the gist I get is that UC really cleaned house from top to bottom and is basically just the essential of the essential right now. I don't get the sense they'd have the man power to move ahead with something like EU even if things improve later next year to a significant enough degree.

I think if anything big happens at UOR in the near horizon, it'll be SNW going into KidZone.

I think we overvalue how "far" along in the process they are. They've done a lot of land clearing, but significant construction hasn't started.
Idk all the aspects of this so a lot of this is speculating/just what Ive learned of the process. Id have to imagine the ride systems have been tested/are being tested or were up until Covid, id imagine SNW sets are/have been built since they are building many SNW's around the globe in the next few years (or were planing to), id imagine some sets or set pieces were in the process of being built, the park itself is full designed and likely has a full model ready, I feel they're likely as far as they can be without going vertical. I mean they wanted to have this open in 2023/2024 initially, so I can't imagine they were super far behind in all those aspects. Thats just me speculating so definitely isn't fact but I can't imagine none of the sets/set pieces have NOT been built yet. Whether its a lot/many is a whole other question but idk. They were along in the process.

I think its more-so that their resources were all heading to a multibillion dollar park and literally expanding your resort as a whole right now must sound incredibly daunting. Thats more how I look at it. Not if, but a matter of when and when may not be for awhile.

Just to go back and comment/answer something that @Alicia brought up last night: "Why would Uni build SNW at all in the next few years as they recover?"

I think it comes back to my gut feeling at the beginning of all this in that Comcast, as GREAT as they have been for the parks, has only been around for the uber successful post-Potter years. Their leadership and their stockholders haven't been around for the lean times. I see them slow walking something like EU after all this, while they'll see SNW as an easy and relatively (as in all R&D is done and designs are working) cheap way to bring people back to the resort in droves when this is all over just as Potter did after the Great Recession. I don't see them shutting off the money completely, but I think they're going to be understandably gunshy on spending billions, especially if Beijing doesn't open like gangbusters next year.

Well, looks like covid may have solved the transportation problem between the resorts......anyway .........Soooo much depends on a quick vaccine to turn the situation around and stop the tourist bleed. At this point, I'd think Universal & Disney are kind of shell shocked because the theme park situation has probably deteriorated to the point that it's the 'worst case' scenario that they never thought would happen, even back in March & early April. That said, IF a vaccine comes early, and there's a decent rebound in 2021 (though not nearly back up to 2019 attendance levels), I think reevaluations will occur then, If the dust has settled, and the economy rebounds somewhat. Bottom line, all of our speculations are probably moot for a good while, and we probably won't be able to have any meaningful discussions, on yes Epic or no Epic, until sometime next year. (Notice I put the word IF in bold tone a number of times)

Well, looks like covid may have solved the transportation problem between the resorts......anyway .........Soooo much depends on a quick vaccine to turn the situation around and stop the tourist bleed. At this point, I'd think Universal & Disney are kind of shell shocked because the theme park situation has probably deteriorated to the point that it's the 'worst case' scenario that they never thought would happen, even back in March & early April. That said, IF a vaccine comes early, and there's a decent rebound in 2021 (though not nearly back up to 2019 attendance levels), I think reevaluations will occur then, If the dust has settled, and the economy rebounds somewhat. Bottom line, all of our speculations are probably moot for a good while, and we probably won't be able to have any meaningful discussions, on yes or no, until sometime next year. (Notice I put the word IF in bold tone a number of times)
I don't disagree. I think bigger than the vaccine, when it comes to the future of Orlando expansion, is another round of stimulus from the federal government. A widely distributed vaccine is still a year away at best. Without stimulus, if things continuing to look as dire economically as they are without more help, people can't afford to travel to Orlando even if it's safe to do so.

Well, this is depressing.
Its expected, but depressing indeed. Prolly gonna take a few days off of the forums honestly. So many other important things going on than like my own hopeful vacation and peace times, but just hope everyone can stay safe and do what they can during this time! In and out of Orlando!

Reactions: Magic-Man
It's always darkest immediately after these types of events. We'll be able to look at this in a better light once we get some distance in time, and have a better idea of what the situation is. We're in the midst of a bad news cycle which makes everything appear more dire than it may actually be.

Agreed. It's WAY too early to say EU is cancelled or postponed until 2028+. Look how much things can change in 3 months...

The only way EU is getting cancelled is if it offends someone on twitter :rimshot:

Agreed. It's WAY too early to say EU is cancelled or postponed until 2028+. Look how much things can change in 3 months...

The only way EU is getting cancelled is if it offends someone on twitter :rimshot:
Yes, how quick things & perceptions change. Universal paid out all that money to keep employees on the payroll, and do no harm, and that was admirable. If they had known it was going to be this bad, I doubt they would have done that, and perhaps they wouldn't have done such extensive cuts yesterday if they wouldn't have spent all that money retaining instead of furloughing employees. Hindsight is a whole different ball game.

Regardless of construction, how far along are the plans? I'm assuming they are subbing out all the engineering and architectural plans and permits, and that UC has input along the way. If the plans are finished and sitting on the shelf, does it really require a full UC staff to construct? The downsizing may have also been a natural work progression if most of the creative pieces were done.

Now, if there is still some heavy lifting to be done by UC then that's a whole different animal.

Regardless of construction, how far along are the plans? I'm assuming they are subbing out all the engineering and architectural plans and permits, and that UC has input along the way. If the plans are finished and sitting on the shelf, does it really require a full UC staff to construct? The downsizing may have also been a natural work progression if most of the creative pieces were done.

Now, if there is still some heavy lifting to be done by UC then that's a whole different animal.
Epic Universe vertical construction is paused. If and when it resumes, the Universal Creative team assigned to it will need to be back. They were actively working in tandem with construction.

I have heard that some that were let go were told they would be able to come back if/when the project(s) go back into active development, which was nice to hear. But I doubt that goes for everyone.

Well, looks like covid may have solved the transportation problem between the resorts......anyway .........Soooo much depends on a quick vaccine to turn the situation around and stop the tourist bleed. At this point, I'd think Universal & Disney are kind of shell shocked because the theme park situation has probably deteriorated to the point that it's the 'worst case' scenario that they never thought would happen, even back in March & early April. That said, IF a vaccine comes early, and there's a decent rebound in 2021 (though not nearly back up to 2019 attendance levels), I think reevaluations will occur then, If the dust has settled, and the economy rebounds somewhat. Bottom line, all of our speculations are probably moot for a good while, and we probably won't be able to have any meaningful discussions, on yes Epic or no Epic, until sometime next year. (Notice I put the word IF in bold tone a number of times)
I don't disagree. I think bigger than the vaccine, when it comes to the future of Orlando expansion, is another round of stimulus from the federal government. A widely distributed vaccine is still a year away at best. Without stimulus, if things continuing to look as dire economically as they are without more help, people can't afford to travel to Orlando even if it's safe to do so.

In countries that are actually taking care of their citizens (re: every other first world country), could theme parks survive a later vaccine arrival?

Reactions: Magic-Man