Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

Epic Universe vertical construction is paused. If and when it resumes, the Universal Creative team assigned to it will need to be back. They were actively working in tandem with construction.

I have heard that some that were let go were told they would be able to come back if/when the project(s) go back into active development, which was nice to hear. But I doubt that goes for everyone.
So it sounds like UC was still actively working on things and final construction plans were not complete yet. I guess we are looking at a pretty solid delay then if UC members will have to be re-hired to complete projects prior to construction.

I think I speak for everyone when i say: This Sucks.

One thing to consider on all this, most every construction project everywhere will be put on hold because of the economy. Construction and materials will be a buyers market next year. There will be a lot of companies that will do work for close to cost just to be able to cover their bills. Uni would be able to negotiate a lot of cost cutting over waiting until 2023 or that neighborhood. If they aren't planning something like a 5 year delay or significant change to what's going in the park, starting construction next year still makes good business sense. Having a shiny new park to draw tourists come 23/24 would help.

One thing to consider on all this, most every construction project everywhere will be put on hold because of the economy. Construction and materials will be a buyers market next year. There will be a lot of companies that will do work for close to cost just to be able to cover their bills. Uni would be able to negotiate a lot of cost cutting over waiting until 2023 or that neighborhood. If they aren't planning something like a 5 year delay or significant change to what's going in the park, starting construction next year still makes good business sense. Having a shiny new park to draw tourists come 23/24 would help.

There is certainly some truth in that, but on the other hand they will miss out on revenue from having a new park open, so any cost saving measures will be about mitigating loses.

That's what I was getting at asking about the Universal Creative folks that were laid off. If they were still actively involved with the design of the park/attractions before being laid off then there is still a ways to go before Universal is ready to pull the trigger on construction contracts. Those folks will need to be re-hired and the design work finished. I wouldn't be surprised if some generic BOH buildings go up or roads get paved next year, but sounds like anything guest facing is delayed for a while.

Epic Universe vertical construction is paused. If and when it resumes, the Universal Creative team assigned to it will need to be back. They were actively working in tandem with construction.

I have heard that some that were let go were told they would be able to come back if/when the project(s) go back into active development, which was nice to hear. But I doubt that goes for everyone.

I’m kicking tires and seeing what happened still.

I'm resigned to the fact by the time it opens I'll either be dead or too old to enjoy most of the rides. Then again my grandmother was riding the Cyclone at Coney Island at 77 so there's hope.

Any idea why they waited this long to make these changes? Parts of the country are leaving quarantine, so the economy is picking up (yes, I know, plenty of faulty logic in that sentence).

I would think that Comcast would’ve been less bullish during quarantine and a little more bullish as it ended. Feels like the opposite is happening.

Any idea why they waited this long to make these changes? Parts of the country are leaving quarantine, so the economy is picking up (yes, I know, plenty of faulty logic in that sentence).

I would think that Comcast would’ve been less bullish during quarantine and a little more bullish as it ended. Feels like the opposite is happening.
I mean, it’s not ending though.

This post may not age well

What if they stop...re-sell the land

Build everything from EU at the original parks

I wouldn't hate it
The whole reason Universal is willing to put up such a huge price tag for this stuff is because it's an entirely new park. New park means hopefully longer stays at hotels, which means 4-park ticket options, which means more chance of people buying merch or eating at a Universal restaurant, which means much higher earnings.

The whole point here is to increase stays and expands the resort. I highly doubt they abandon this plan unless circumstances prove to be dire economically for UPR.

The whole reason Universal is willing to put up such a huge price tag for this stuff is because it's an entirely new park. New park means hopefully longer stays at hotels, which means 4-park ticket options, which means more chance of people buying merch or eating at a Universal restaurant, which means much higher earnings.

The whole point here is to increase stays and expands the resort. I highly doubt they abandon this plan unless circumstances prove to be dire economically for UPR.
Yes, I understand the whole reason behind EU, and believe me, I want it to happen

Purely spit balling honestly.....Aaaand I just realized this is not the speculation thread.

The economy is most certainly not picking up at Universal Orlando. Saw pics from three different guests yesterday -- in the middle of the Summer season -- and the streets looked they were about to drop the ropes for Stay & Scream. Completely empty. 20 years as an AP, including after 9/11 and in 2008, this is the only time I've seen the streets like that in the daytime.

No one but a few die-hard crazies are traveling to theme parks right now (and Disney owns that limited market), local unemployment rates are above Great Depression levels, and let's not forget that Orlando theme park attendance was already trending downward for a year or so before COVID hit. They just laid off hundreds of TMs. This is as bad as it's ever been, and other than a risky HHN (will locals take to any new procedures? if there are no new procedures, and even if there are, will locals show up?), there's no relief in sight.

I just can't see this being cancelled or delayed for an insane amount of time.

I still think that Universal should be skating to where the puck is going to be. If it's delayed a year, so be it and it opens in 2024.

Are we really expecting tourism to die for 3 or 4 years?

I just can't see this being cancelled or delayed for an insane amount of time.

I still think that Universal should be skating to where the puck is going to be. If it's delayed a year, so be it and it opens in 2024.

Are we really expecting tourism to die for 3 or 4 years?

In the US, maybe. I’m hoping at the very least that parks in other countries like yours that implemented common sense social safety net policies can survive without a quick vax. Though based off this past Tuesday’s primary elections, there may be some hope for the US yet.