Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

There’s a note on the September 12th post that seems to clear up a convo we’ve been having for years. (Although the date that appears with the image is from 2018.)

He ended the session by sounding a positive note about the future of parks: “There is a momentum for sure that this is a business we want to continue investing in,” Roberts said.

The studio opened its supersized Universal Beijing theme park on Monday. “It’s thrilling,” Roberts said.

Given the pandemic context, Roberts noted that the company will need to be “patient” but said that “in Orlando, in our second quarter, we were back.”

Roberts said the company’s incoming Orlando site Epic Universe, which will be its biggest U.S. park to date, will open in “the next several years.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Universal maintaining faith in the parks is good news for us!!!

I’m out of the loop for this; could someone summarize what attractions and lands are going to be in this, rumored or otherwise?
There’s another thread for speculation and rumors Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

And that’s a tall order, but Nintendo, How to Train Your Dragon, Universal Monsters and Wizarding World are the rumored lands.

And here’s my guesses for literally everything.
Epic-Universe-Concept-Art-Labels2020h.jpg

Is this park going to have an overarching theme? Islands is all based on literature, Studios is all about the movies. Even though those themes have become a little muddled throughout the years, they’re still there.

Park looks amazing regardless, just curious to how Classic Monsters will coexist with Nintendo World.

Nothing concrete yet. I get the feeling we’ll learn more early next year. Until then, they’re focusing on backstage stuff. But yes, Potter VR definitely removed from Epic (and moved to Studios) as far as I’ve heard.
Anyone else kind of wishing Monsters land was moved to Studios? Thematically it would be a great fit for the park and would be absolutely perfect for the FFL plot.

Is this park going to have an overarching theme? Islands is all based on literature, Studios is all about the movies. Even though those themes have become a little muddled throughout the years, they’re still there.

Park looks amazing regardless, just curious to how Classic Monsters will coexist with Nintendo World.
The theme for Islands is adventure, not literature (that was more a coincidence than anything). Also, the theme for Studios is more broad now, just entertainment in general, encompassing film, TV and music

The theme for Epic Universe is going into different worlds; immersiveness is the theme.

The theme for Islands is adventure, not literature (that was more a coincidence than anything). Also, the theme for Studios is more broad now, just entertainment in general, encompassing film, TV and music

The theme for Epic Universe is going into different worlds; immersiveness is the theme.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there some backstory/lore out there for Islands that says that a family was shipwrecked or something and the books that they had with them came to life and formed each island or something? I’m sure I totally butchered that but I swear I could have read that somewhere.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there some backstory/lore out there for Islands that says that a family was shipwrecked or something and the books that they had with them came to life and formed each island or something? I’m sure I totally butchered that but I swear I could have read that somewhere.

I've never heard of that. Also how is it books themed if one of the opening day attractions is based on a TV show (Dudley) and JP is mostly the movie?

There are stories/lore, but im pretty sure they are mostly fanmade.

I've never heard of that. Also how is it books themed if one of the opening day attractions is based on a TV show (Dudley) and JP is mostly the movie?
I think the lands are based on books rather than the rides themselves. JP was a book before a movie and Dudley is in a land prominently featuring comic strip characters.

In every interview, book and discussion with members of Creative I have ever encountered during the development of Cartoon World/Islands of Adventure, the theme for the park is just "adventures and legends." Even "islands" wasn't a part of it at first, that was a relatively late addition.

They had cartoon properties, but lost Warner Bros, so brought over Jurassic Park to anchor the new park instead. The loose connection they made, now with JP and what was left after WB left, was "adventure." (Looney Tunes certainly wouldn't have been based on literature.) They then looked to old legends to fill in the gaps and make the park more adventure-y, and Lost Continent was born. Any connections to literature were by happenstance. And any lore was created after the park was designed.

If it was a thesis statement for the park, I bet we would've seen it woven into Port of Entry in some way, or used as a slogan like "Ride the Movies, See the Stars." Instead, the story of the park is that we're setting off on adventure from Port of Entry. It's just that simple.

Anyone else kind of wishing Monsters land was moved to Studios? Thematically it would be a great fit for the park and would be absolutely perfect for the FFL plot.
You're overestimating the size of the FFL plot, the structure is 185' x 145', and just the single ride building for monsters has a larger footprint than Forbidden Journey, which has a footprint of ~260' x 380'.
You can read more here on how the lands match up to existing areas:

It wont need to co-exist with SNW, they are their own immersive lands cut off from the hub by portals like Diagon Alley is. The over arching theme within the Hub is Astronomical (atm), not that I've ever paid any mind to big overarching themes or weird theme park canon

Pretty sure that’s made up, I don’t think there was any real backstory for the Islands.

You're overestimating the size of the FFL plot, the structure is 185' x 145', and just the single ride building for monsters has a larger footprint than Forbidden Journey, which has a footprint of ~260' x 380'.
You can read more here on how the lands match up to existing areas:

It wont need to co-exist with SNW, they are their own immersive lands cut off from the hub by portals like Diagon Alley is. The over arching theme within the Hub is Astronomical (atm), not that I've ever paid any mind to big overarching themes or weird theme park canon

Crazy Monsters is Diagon size and then you will also get ANOTHER E ticket eventually on top of that. Huge area. If there’s any elevation, unlike in Diagon, it’ll make it all feel a ton bigger also.