Walt Disney World Raises Wages | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Raises Wages

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 28, 2017
Disney World Will Raise Minimum Pay to $15 By 2021 | Money

... though not until 2021;

After almost a year of protests and negotiations, Walt Disney World has reached an agreement with a group of unions to raise its minimum wage pay to $15 an hour by 2021.

The move will affect some 38,000 Disney service employees represented by the unions — most of whom make less than $11 an hour, Jeremy Haicken, president of the Local 737 union, tells MONEY.

The pay increases — part of a new contract that will be voted on at the beginning of September — will come in annual $1 increments, with minimum pay rising to $11 in December 2018, $12 in March 2019, $13 in September 2019, $14 in October 2020 and $15 in October 2021, according to a statement from the Service Trades Council Union.”

and I would guess Universal will follow lock step in that cycle, just so they can retain, and continue to obtain, good employees.
I would think they’ll wait at least half a year or so to do that. They don’t want to make it completely obvious that they’re doing it in response to Disney.

Plus, this doesn’t go into effect until 2021 and Universal has a LOT of large capital expenses coming up in the next couple years.

Reactions: Coasted
I would think they’ll wait at least half a year or so to do that. They don’t want to make it completely obvious that they’re doing it in response to Disney.

Plus, this doesn’t go into effect until 2021 and Universal has a LOT of large capital expenses coming up in the next couple years.
Universal might even jump Disney on some of those yearly increases by a few months. If my memory serves me correct, I think they've done that on one or two occasions in the recent past. But to stay competitive in the labor market, Universal just about will have to match those $1 raises late in 2018 or early 2019, late 2019, late 2020 & late 2021.

I have no idea what current service employees are paid at Universal. Anyone want to chime in?
All the Orlando area parks were starting salaries at $10 an hour (SeaWorld raised to that first followed by Universal, then Disney).

It's just like ticket prices, they're all tied together in this market.

What about Disney Springs / CityWalk folks? I never understood if Disney/Universal was staffing those establishments on behalf of the stores or if the stores themselves were handling hiring.

Reactions: Coasted
What about Disney Springs / CityWalk folks? I never understood if Disney/Universal was staffing those establishments on behalf of the stores or if the stores themselves were handling hiring.

It may depend on if they're officially Disney employees or not. A lot of those are not, even some places within the parks are...I forgot the term...but like contracted.

Arribas Bros. Jewelry stores is one example within the parks, like Uptown Jewelers. Mitsukoshi at Epcot is another

Reactions: Coasted and Frogki
Disney World Will Raise Minimum Pay to $15 By 2021 | Money

... though not until 2021;

After almost a year of protests and negotiations, Walt Disney World has reached an agreement with a group of unions to raise its minimum wage pay to $15 an hour by 2021.

The move will affect some 38,000 Disney service employees represented by the unions — most of whom make less than $11 an hour, Jeremy Haicken, president of the Local 737 union, tells MONEY.

The pay increases — part of a new contract that will be voted on at the beginning of September — will come in annual $1 increments, with minimum pay rising to $11 in December 2018, $12 in March 2019, $13 in September 2019, $14 in October 2020 and $15 in October 2021, according to a statement from the Service Trades Council Union.”
What park is this attraction going to?

Also, where are they going to hide the cost of this? Raise Tickets? Cut hours? Churros?

So what WDW raised it to last year? Or was that $10.50?
They raised it to $10.50 if I remember.

Universal has been at $10 for about 2 years now. I assume this will force Universal to raise their minimum more frequently in order to keep competitive pay.

Reactions: Frogki