Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That’s still below the market rate for these things in amusement parks all over the world lol.

Is per person per day supposed to make it seem worse somehow? I’ve never seen a multi-day or group option for skip-the-line passes, unless you count the deluxe UO hotels which are the exception and still come in much pricier.
If a family of 4 wanted to buy Express Pass at Universal today, they'd have to spend $80 minimum (or $110 for the unlimited Express) per person, so we're looking at somewhere between $320 and $440 total just for one day not including tickets or anything else you mentioned, so tbh, I don't think the price Disney is charging is all that ridiculous.

It feels like the high end of everyone “needing“ it. At $15 it won’t reduce lines as much as Express being that much yet also still be just painful enough.

Also Universal’s $350 a night hotel comes with unlimited two park express while Disney’s $600 a night rooms don’t come with Genie+. The products don’t neatly line up with each other.

It feels like the high end of everyone “needing“ it. At $15 it won’t reduce lines as much as Express being that much yet also still be just painful enough.

Also Universal’s $350 a night hotel comes with unlimited two park express while Disney’s $600 a night rooms don’t come with Genie+. The products don’t neatly line up with each other.
I mean, I know I won’t be getting it at WDW unless it were to come with my AP, which it won’t. I’ll only be purchasing this if I go to Disneyland. It’d be worth it on that type of vacation, although I have to admit I probably wouldn’t buy it for every day of a trip.

That’s a hotel demand/revenue management factor though, not a skip-the-line pricing factor. This isn’t some sort of goodwill gesture, but a remnant of a down-trodden part of the resort’s history that they’re stuck with, not to mention Loews is the one operating the hotels.

When you factor in a base price of an extra $375 (not including the individual purchase rides) tacked on to an already $3,206.45 spent just to get through the turnstiles for people that are budgeting to go and aren’t executives with a six figure salary, then yeah it will make things worse.

Again, what is this supposed to prove? EVERY one of these types of services is an add-on on top of park admission.

There’s this fallacy going on in this thread that this is a requirement for going to the park—it’s not. In fact, if the price is as offensive as you all are making it seem, less users of the system will result in shorter standby lines, making it actually BETTER for those who don’t want to participate. If $15/day is stretching a family’s budget, they can still get to the park early in the morning and maximize their time in the park as people have been doing for years without issue.

I don't think the $15/day is THAT bad, it's the principle of the matter. Plus it now turns every user's phone into a Genie sales agent giving you notifications on how for only $X, you can cut Y's lines. It's kinda insidious thinking of it that way.

They also could've just silently hiked tickets $15 a person and gave it to all ticket holders, but they chose not to.

Why? To increase the per capita spending of APs. For someone who goes once a year, it's a no brainer. For a local who goes 4 times a month, it's going to hurt.

One thing I found very interesting is that Disneyland's version includes photos but WDW's doesn't. I think that's a good value add. I also don't think this price will stay this low as it did with MaxPass.

Again, what is this supposed to prove? EVERY one of these types of services is an add-on on top of park admission.

There’s this fallacy going on in this thread that this is a requirement for going to the park—it’s not. In fact, if the price is as offensive as you all are making it seem, less users of the system will result in shorter standby lines, making it actually BETTER for those who don’t want to participate. If $15/day is stretching a family’s budget, they can still get to the park early in the morning and maximize their time in the park as people have been doing for years without issue.

It proves that, as embarrassing as this is to have to actually explain, not everybody can just toss an extra $375 minimum on their vacation like it’s no big deal. Not everyone that visits these parks have six figure salaries, some people actually have to plan and budget for a trip to Orlando and this can and will throw a wrench into the plans of people that have to budget and save already. If these families want to experience as much as they can during their trip then this addition is something that they have to consider and for people that are already trying to save up I empathize with them on this setback whereas you and others clearly don’t, it’s that simple and it’s fine. We’re not gonna understand each other’s points of view and that’s fine, we agree to disagree on whether this is a good thing or not and that’s all.

It proves that, as embarrassing as this is to have to actually explain, not everybody can just toss an extra $375 minimum on their vacation like it’s no big deal. Not everyone that visits these parks have six figure salaries, some people actually have to plan and budget for a trip to Orlando and this can and will throw a wrench into the plans of people that have to budget and save already. If these families want to experience as much as they can during their trip then this addition is something that they have to consider and for people that are already trying to save up I empathize with them on this setback whereas you and others clearly don’t, it’s that simple and it’s fine. We’re not gonna understand each other’s points of view and that’s fine, we agree to disagree on whether this is a good thing or not and that’s all.

Why is it an issue of empathy here but not at Universal, Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc.? At every single theme park, you are required to spend more money to skip lines.

When Disney had them available for free, the chief complaint was that because everyone had access to it it made standby lines longer. Now that they’re raising the price, theoretically less people have access to it and so standby lines will be shorter—this improves the experience for the guest that does not want to spring for the extra purchase.

Like I said, I actually preferred the old system so I’m not jazzed about this change. I’m just really not understanding the reaction to this when it
a.) sounds like everything everyone’s wanted from the get go
b.) is actually MORE affordable than every comparable product

Reactions: UNIrd
Why is it an issue of empathy here but not at Universal, Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc.? At every single theme park, you are required to spend more money to skip lines.

When Disney had them available for free, the chief complaint was that because everyone had access to it it made standby lines longer. Now that they’re raising the price, theoretically less people have access to it and so standby lines will be shorter—this improves the experience for the guest that does not want to spring for the extra purchase.

Like I said, I actually preferred the old system but I’m not jazzed about this change. I’m just really not understanding the reaction to this when it
a.) sounds like everything everyone’s wanted from the get go
b.) is actually MORE affordable than every comparable product

We’re talking about Disney. This thread literally is about Disney. I’m not talking about Universal, Cedar Parks, Six Flags, I don’t even go to Cedar Parks & Six Flags so your arguments are falling completely flat with me. My point still stands and I’ve gotta say it again and yes, it is embarrassing to have to explain this to clearly a rich man like yourself that this will not effect at all but I empathize with the people who’s wallets this change will effect. The people that don’t have large salaries, that have kids that can’t always be first in line at the parks to do everything before everyone else and make the best time with standby lines, the people that the Fast Pass line helped. I honestly don’t wanna go back and forth with you that’s why I said in my last post we agree to disagree on this and please just drop it.

Reactions: therock and Nico
My issue really isn't with the genie plus price of $15/$20 for lightening access to most attractions. That, like max pass before, actually presents value. I just think they over complicated it with the genie touring plan,
and the special fee for some newer attractions, which has the potential to confuse the casual tourists. These touring plans, like 'Touring Plans' schedules, are fine for the hardcore fast paced rider that wants to get on
as many rides as possible in a day, but it's really not the cup of tea for tourists that casually take their time enjoying all a park has to offer. ...I see a lot of confusion involved with this. Heck, if the hardcore fanboys/girls
here and on Magic are having difficulties understanding it, the GP will be many times more confused......An old phrase. "Keep it Simple, Stupid".

The only way this works in everyone’s favor is if the reduction in people upgrading to genie+ results in less people using the system and the standby line moving faster. At universal the barrier of entry is higher but that ends up benefiting everyone. You wanna upgrade and not wait in lines, pay up for express and you can ride everything in the park without lines. At Disney unless you are upgrading to VIP you can’t get the same experience. The whole point of genie+ is to generate more revenue out of an aging resort which for years has lacked the investment in rides to increase capacity.

We’re talking about Disney. This thread literally is about Disney. I’m not talking about Universal, Cedar Parks, Six Flags, I don’t even go to Cedar Parks & Six Flags so your arguments are falling completely flat with me. My point still stands and I’ve gotta say it again and yes, it is embarrassing to have to explain this to clearly a rich man like yourself that this will not effect at all but I empathize with the people who’s wallets this change will effect. The people that don’t have large salaries, that have kids that can’t always be first in line at the parks to do everything before everyone else and make the best time with standby lines, the people that the Fast Pass line helped. I honestly don’t wanna go back and forth with you that’s why I said in my last post we agree to disagree on this and please just drop it.

Agreed we’re at an impasse and to drop it…but to set the record straight, I am absolutely, 100%, very decidedly NOT a rich person :lol:

Reactions: belloq87
The only way this works in everyone’s favor is if the reduction in people upgrading to genie+ results in less people using the system and the standby line moving faster.

I could totally be wrong in this assumption, but I am assuming that Genie+'s uptake will be somewhat less than the old FP+, simply by virtue of the fact that there is now a monetary fee required for access.

To what extent it will be less, I have no idea, but I will be extremely surprised if the exact same percentage of guests use Genie+ as used FP+. We'll see.

I could totally be wrong in this assumption, but I am assuming that Genie+'s uptake will be somewhat less than the old FP+, simply by virtue of the fact that there is now a monetary fee required for access.

To what extent it will be less, I have no idea, but I will be extremely surprised if the exact same percentage of guests use Genie+ as used FP+. We'll see.
Agreed....Plus, another point. Looking at TP lines today. On a low attendance day, similar to the entire past week at WDW, standby lines, except for the newer E tickets, are almost all significantly under 30 minutes. So, on
a low attendance day, there's probably not a necessity to get the $15/20 lightening pass. Fastpass plus, since everyone could get it, really drove the standby line time up, especially since the norm was in the vicinity
80% FP, 20% stand by. Crowded season times will be another story though. Probably best to get the Lightening $15-$20 pass on those days.

It appears that way, it looks like a deal, but with upcharges and ever-shifting price points it can easily turn into a nickel and dime situation

I know I've revealed myself to be a Universal stan before...but I just can't understand why it's so hard for Disney to just charge a flat rate for the day and you literally just scan a barcode at the front of the line on your phone

No scheduling, no shifting prices based on perceived "demand" (Disney language for rides with terrible capacity)...just a flat rate

Reactions: frank_1991_
That’s a hotel demand/revenue management factor though, not a skip-the-line pricing factor. This isn’t some sort of goodwill gesture, but a remnant of a down-trodden part of the resort’s history that they’re stuck with, not to mention Loews is the one operating the hotels.

But it is an offering right now at hotels. And I'm pretty sure they've been offering it since the hotels not opened, not just during the dark dark days. And hell, if Universal wanted to, they could renegotiate the contract.

I've bought Flash Lane, Fast Lane, MaxPass, and Express Pass. I will likely buy Genie+. The issue i have is the pricing seems to be at the high end of being broadly available not that it's on the low side of splurge purchases. Let me rephrase this a different way: all other line skipping services use price as a deterrent to purchase and skip the lines, they are the minority of the visitors that day. With Genie+ and attraction pricing at what it is now the price isn't ENOUGH of a deterrent and now people who don't buy it will be in the minority, basically back at square one but now you're paying $15 per day per person. That's my worry.

I could see maybe a reduction in people using the system overall, but $15 is still pretty low enough that most guest will just assume it’s part of the cost of vacationing at Disney.

Reactions: SailwiththeTide
I've bought Flash Lane, Fast Lane, MaxPass, and Express Pass. I will likely buy Genie+. The issue i have is the pricing seems to be at the high end of being broadly available not that it's on the low side of splurge purchases. Let me rephrase this a different way: all other line skipping services use price as a deterrent to purchase and skip the lines, they are the minority of the visitors that day. With Genie+ and attraction pricing at what it is now the price isn't ENOUGH of a deterrent and now people who don't buy it will be in the minority, basically back at square one but now you're paying $15 per day per person. That's my worry.
Yes this is very true, and a big issue I see is people mistaking it for something they need

I suppose if everyone buys the upcharge option then it will make the peasant queue shorter

Agreed we’re at an impasse and to drop it…but to set the record straight, I am absolutely, 100%, very decidedly NOT a rich person :lol:
That's exactly what you WANT us to think isn't it

It's gotta be better than every. single. guest. being bombarded with e-mails to make their FP+ reservations now(!). That resulted in people who had no idea what they were doing, increasing FP+ lines for rides that did not need them, thereby increasing standby lines.

This barrier to entry, while not huge, can't help but reduce the amount of "front-of-the-line" people. That, in turn, reduces standby times for everyone else.

It's gotta be better than every. single. guest. being bombarded with e-mails to make their FP+ reservations now(!). That resulted in people who had no idea what they were doing, increasing FP+ lines for rides that did not need them, thereby increasing standby lines.

This barrier to entry, while not huge, can't help but reduce the amount of "front-of-the-line" people. That, in turn, reduces standby times for everyone else.
I will never trust the posted stand by time again

Unfortunately I probably won't be riding The Kylo Ren ride again because it's now either behind a paywall or too much of a hassle to outweigh the interest

Reactions: therock and SkiBum
I will never trust the posted stand by time again

Unfortunately I probably won't be riding The Kylo Ren ride again because it's now either behind a paywall or too much of a hassle to outweigh the interest

The worst part is that people who are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation probably won't blink at having to spend another couple hundred dollars to get access.

Reactions: shiekra38