Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

I guess I just think implanting an RFID chip into your arm is a really extreme step to take just for the fun of seeing if it would work. I actually do have an implanted device that's pretty much an RFID chip when you boil it down, but it's for medical reasons only.

Yeah there's a stigma around it, whole big twitter hubbub over it but when you boil it down it's not that bad.

Anyway, I've heard Disney's working on new hardware, so I won't worry about MB going away. I do prefer my Apple Watch for payments (quicker to auth, no need to switch to MB system, no PIN) and I hope I can use it to unlock my room and get into the park.

Rather than starting a new topic, I figured I'd place this here: Disney begins testing facial recognition technology at Magic Kingdom
It’ll be interesting to see how successful this is. It doesn’t sound like a convenience feature. MagicBands and tickets are far easier and quicker for visitors.

It’s a lot more interesting as a security feature. Facial recognition would be a lot more reliable than the finger measuring thing (or fingerprints?) that Disney currently uses.

It’ll be interesting to see how successful this is. It doesn’t sound like a convenience feature. MagicBands and tickets are far easier and quicker for visitors.

It’s a lot more interesting as a security feature. Facial recognition would be a lot more reliable than the finger measuring thing (or fingerprints?) that Disney currently uses.
Theoretically it could save time since the RFID in the cards and bands can be read from a distance and facial recognition can be done instantaneously as guests walk through a portal. Basically once it's set up properly you just walk into the park and only stop if there was an issue with your RFID/facial scan.

Basically once it's set up properly you just walk into the park and only stop if there was an issue with your RFID/facial scan.
The amount of jobs that would get cut from this could be a pretty significant number, especially if implemented at all of there parks across the globe.

Obviously there’d have to be staff so people aren’t just walking in without a ticket, but it would still allow them to cut many of the main gate CMs.

Theoretically it could save time since the RFID in the cards and bands can be read from a distance and facial recognition can be done instantaneously as guests walk through a portal. Basically once it's set up properly you just walk into the park and only stop if there was an issue with your RFID/facial scan.
It looks to me as if they saw an opportunity to test the limits of the tech while there is widespread mask wearing. Maybe they are developing this for a broader market than the parks, it would have wide application if proven reliable masked or not.

The amount of jobs that would get cut from this could be a pretty significant number, especially if implemented at all of there parks across the globe.

Obviously there’d have to be staff so people aren’t just walking in without a ticket, but it would still allow them to cut many of the main gate CMs.
Labor is their biggest expense, so if they can find a way to cut staff they will.

Labor is their biggest expense, so if they can find a way to cut staff they will.
It’s a double-edged sword... it would be a genuinely better experience to just walk into the park instead of waiting in line (just like how bag check has improved), but that’s someone’s job that is going away.

If they go that route, hopefully they can draw back staffing through normal turnover.

This thread isn't a 100% fit for this, but it's probably the best place to discuss these. Disney Parks Chairman Josh D'Amaro gave an interview with CNN, and then wrote a post on the Parks Blog, both about the "future" of Disney theme parks:

I don't find either of these particularly encouraging or exciting. Lots of talk about "pivoting," "infusing," "digital footprint," "digital overlay," "reinvention."

This thread isn't a 100% fit for this, but it's probably the best place to discuss these. Disney Parks Chairman Josh D'Amaro gave an interview with CNN, and then wrote a post on the Parks Blog, both about the "future" of Disney theme parks:

I don't find either of these particularly encouraging or exciting. Lots of talk about "pivoting," "infusing," "digital footprint," "digital overlay," "reinvention."
1. Stop calling art content
2. Stop appending -verse to words. It doesn't make you cool.

With the revelation that DLP is getting rid of Fastpass and bringing it back as a paid thing, I think it's pretty clear WDW will do the same.

It's felt like the writing has been on the wall for quite some time in regards to paid FP. I'm in the boat that's fine with it, and honestly that's something that should've happened a long time ago. Granted, doing it at a time when the company is really testing folks limits at the moment...that's another layer of chaos right there.

Now something which I hope stays in DLP and not come stateside is the "Standby Passes" if the line goes over 25 minutes. That's a big NO for me, for a variety of reasons. You do need folks in the regular standby lines so things arn't over-crowded elsewhere. Also, WDW's system couldn't handle FP+, I don't think a bunch of standby passes added to the mix are gonna' fare better with it.

It's felt like the writing has been on the wall for quite some time in regards to paid FP. I'm in the boat that's fine with it, and honestly that's something that should've happened a long time ago. Granted, doing it at a time when the company is really testing folks limits at the moment...that's another layer of chaos right there.

Now something which I hope stays in DLP and not come stateside is the "Standby Passes" if the line goes over 25 minutes. That's a big NO for me, for a variety of reasons. You do need folks in the regular standby lines so things arn't over-crowded elsewhere. Also, WDW's system couldn't handle FP+, I don't think a bunch of standby passes added to the mix are gonna' fare better with it.
plus DLP attendance is significantly lower than MK, so what works there for stand by passes would be a whole different ballgame in Florida.

This is where I'm at.

You want to bring in paid FPs? Fine. Yeah, it sucks that they would now charge guests for something that was once offered with a ticket for no extra cost, but whatever. Presumably paid FP would actually somewhat decrease the amount of people using FP, thereby making standby lines more manageable.

However...

If you bring in this "Standby Pass" thing, it will be an absolute nightmare for touring the parks. If every queue in the park that hits XX minutes switches over to these Passes... and you can only hold one Pass at a time... what, exactly, are guests supposed to do? Stand in endless 30-minute food and merchandise lines?

If you do all of your unpopular changes all at once then roll back 1-2 of the most egregious everyone forgets about the previous X changes.

what, exactly, are guests supposed to do? Stand in endless 30-minute food and merchandise lines?
"Yes?"
-Bob Chapek, presumably

wow, wonder if they use surge pricing -- cutting the line will cost $10 per 30 minutes saved. The (ride) ticket system was a better deal than paid FP ;-)

I recall when they kept prices down by breaking out park hopping as an add on. I imagine this is more of the same.

Yeah, but I think the net effect of such an operational change would still be sort of self-defeating in this regard. Guests stuck in mega-long food and merch lines aren't able to go spend money elsewhere, either.
I think their long term strategy is akin to mobile apps get money; aim for the whales who make up 90% of the sales, then whatever else you happen to get is a nice bonus.

If they lose some of the lower paying customers in exchange for people who stay at a deluxe, and eat every meal in a signature, who cares?