Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What is the best Florida theme park addition of the decade?

Favorite addition of the 2010's?

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Pandora: World of Avatar

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • New Fantasyland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toy Story Land

• Volcano Bay

• Mako Hyper Coaster

• Skull Island: Reign of Kong

• Other (comment below)

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 7, 2016
Riding Lightning Rod
It's that time of year again. We've come so far, and still have much ahead. Epic Universe, Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway, Ice Breaker, Iron Gwazi, Velocicoaster, and much more are on the horizon. But now we look back. What is the best Florida theme park addition of the decade?

Voted "other"

The most defining and important addition was The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade in 2010. Up till then Disney decided lock in and blue ocean strategies were the way forward. MagicBands, vacation planning (remember you were supposed to book your counter service meals WEEKS IN ADVANCE?), seeing your name all around the park, customized coupons, etc. Attractions were to be plussed (see: HM) with little new attractions or capacity added.

Then Potter opened and momentum shifted. Disney's parks felt stale and lagged behind the competition for the first time in a decade. While the shift was slow (we're now just seeing the "response") there is no way we'd see many things on that list if it wasn't for Hogsmeade.

The most defining and important addition was The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade in 2010. Up till then Disney decided lock in and blue ocean strategies were the way forward. MagicBands, vacation planning (remember you were supposed to book your counter service meals WEEKS IN ADVANCE?), seeing your name all around the park, customized coupons, etc. Attractions were to be plussed (see: HM) with little new attractions or capacity added.

Then Potter opened and momentum shifted. Disney's parks felt stale and lagged behind the competition for the first time in a decade. While the shift was slow (we're now just seeing the "response") there is no way we'd see many things on that list if it wasn't for Hogsmeade.

Damn, that was this decade? I thought it opened in 2009!

Voted for Diagon to include a vote for Hogsmeade as well. The past decade has changed theme parks forever, and that is truly thanks to Universal and the Wizarding World, thanks for all the memories this decacde Universal! Cheers to many more until 2030.

Voted "other"

Yup. Harry Potter changed the landscape of theme parks forever.

Indeed, HP was a serious game changer. And to think, Disney almost worked a deal to have HP at the Disney parks before Universal.

Hogsmede really was a game changer for Universal and Disney

We can literally draw a connection between Potter and every other land/ride to come out this decade

Without HP being at the caliber that it was then I wonder what Orlando would look like today?

Would Disney be fixing Epcot? Would Star Wars land be as huge? Would we still have JAWS?

Lots to ponder

Hogsmede really was a game changer for Universal and Disney

We can literally draw a connection between Potter and every other land/ride to come out this decade

Without HP being at the caliber that it was then I wonder what Orlando would look like today?

Would Disney be fixing Epcot? Would Star Wars land be as huge? Would we still have JAWS?

Lots to ponder
Kidzone wouldn’t have changed still, though. Nothing to worry about there.

For me, it’s not so much that it was the next evolutionary step in theme park design, it finally got Disney off its ass to do something.

I seriously doubt we would have Galaxy’s Edge being what it is without Potter.
Probably would’ve gotten just the Falcoln recreation and smugglers run, just a facade for the ride, no land whatsoever. Ticket price increase 25%

Volcano Bae for me.

Hogsmeade is clearly the winner and should be. Pandora, Star Wars, toy story, Diagon, and even volcano bay doesn’t happen without the boy wizard.

But personally, I love me some VB.

For me it was "Other" for Hogsmeade, with Diagon Alley being one heck of a chaser.

The success of Hogsmeade had a incredibly lasting impression on well, the whole dang industry. For Universal, it was the thing they needed in their state at the time, and look where it led. In comes Comcast, in comes a flurry of additions, hotels and expansions...along with that Lockheed land getting bought back and Epic Universe on the way!

As for outside of Universal, it was certainly the thing to light a fire under Disney's pants who were dragging their feet at the time. G.E. (for better or for worse), wouldn't be what we got now if it wasn't for Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley showing the game has changed.

With what's on the horizon in the industry, we're in for some very exciting times. An it all started with The Boy Who Lived.

Color me forgetful - I had the notion that Hogsmeade had opened in 2008.

Regardless - it's very clear that Harry Potter has forever changed the face of themed entertainment, and will be looked to as the standard for theme parks from this point on. I couldn't be more excited to see where the future lies for the industry, and to see when the next innovation comes along.

I also couldn't be happier that I am pursuing this field - it's an exciting time to be a theme park enthusiast!