Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory | Inside Universal Forums

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been broken by The Hollywood Reporter, that Paul King; director of the critically acclaimed Paddington franchise, is in the final stages of negotiations to direct a remake of the Roald Dahl classic, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

'Paddington' Director Paul King in Talks for 'Willy Wonka' (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

The film, produced and distributed by Warner Brothers, would see Paul re-united with Paddington producer David Heyman, as the film would be written by SNL Writer Simon Rich. The ambition of the film, is to create a franchise out of telling classic Dahl stories. No release date was given, and no statement was made by Warner Brothers or King representatives.

What do you think? Would you be interested to see what King could pull from his work on the Paddington films to this, or do you think they shouldn't bother?

Honestly speaking, I am not excited about this, even with someone like Paul King on the final stages.

I doubt box office success will await another Willy Wonka film so soon after the last one. This is getting like the movie studios always releasing new versions of Frankenstein (as an example), that really don't end up doing very well. Stuff gets old & redundant after so many re tellings. I don't think people are clamoring for another version. Plus, they'll never beat the genius Gene Wilder version. Never ever.

Reactions: jtsalien
I doubt box office success will await another Willy Wonka film so soon after the last one. This is getting like the movie studios always releasing new versions of Frankenstein (as an example), that really don't end up doing very well. Stuff gets old & redundant after so many re tellings. I don't think people are clamoring for another version. Plus, they'll never beat the genius Gene Wilder version. Never ever.

The last one came 13 years ago which is an eternity for Hollywood. In the same time, we've have 3 different Spider-Mans.

Reactions: Nico