General Movies & TV Thread | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Godzilla Minus One was my first time seeing a Godzilla film in theaters—it was that or The Boy and The Heron; and my god did Godzilla deliver.

There is a visceral rawness to how they depict WW2 Post Japan, and the entirety of the Ginza attack might be my favorite moment in film this year? It commands you to see the horror and fear that Godzilla inhabits, and makes you see just how fragile we can be.

Saw Migration last weekend

A good film, it's close to be great but I think the jokes dont land offend enough

But it's a solid animated film, a good lesson and some beautiful animation, the flying stuff is really great and it didn't make as much money as they like I'm sure but would not mind seeing A duck or the whole family hidden in the New York certain of SLOP ride

I’m sorry I’m an Illumination stan. I’m not saying they’re Pixar, but they consistently entertain me and my cousins kids. Was babysitting so took the kiddos to this. Shockingly full theatre. Everyone loved it. I don’t wanna make the experience sound magical, as Migration is just solid, but everyone seemed very happy. No complaints, I enjoyed it! Great with some popcorn.

I’m sorry I’m an Illumination stan. I’m not saying they’re Pixar, but they consistently entertain me and my cousins kids. Was babysitting so took the kiddos to this. Shockingly full theatre. Everyone loved it. I don’t wanna make the experience sound magical, as Migration is just solid, but everyone seemed very happy. No complaints, I enjoyed it! Great with some popcorn.
lol

They are not Pixar but it was a cute fun film, it's number 4 on my list

1) despicable me (1)
2) Super Mario Bros
3) Lorax
4) Migration

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Just got back from Wonka. Enjoyed it a lot and it might be my personal favorite of the three Wonka films. It oddly feels more like a classic Roald Dahl story than the movies actually based on a Dahl book! Paul King has shown he has the magic touch yet again.

I also saw Wonder it’s charming but 30 mins too long

I think most films have 90 mins of greatness in them then for some reason go on 30 mins longer then they need it

I think this is partly why movies back in the day were just so good, they were limited on budget and time so they made only the best parts of the scripts and everything is tight but now they can just keep filming as much as every want leading to many scenes not being cut that just slow the film down

Reactions: SeventyOne
Gonna catch heat for this, but saw The Iron Claw--and it didn't live up to the hype. I admit Zac Effron gives a great performance, but he and the other three brothers are at least a decade too old to convincingly portray the Von Erichs. Also...

The movie can't decide if it wants to embrace keyfabe--and treat wins in the ring as some great accomplishment--or acknowledge that the bookers pre-script everything, so it tries to do both, which doesn't work. Closely related to that, the film ignores the biggest issue facing wrestling in that era, that Vince McMahon was buying up everyone in an effort to destroy the territories, like the Von Erich family's own Texas federation. Kerrie being poached and repackaged in WWF gets like 30 seconds of screen time when it should be a major plot point.

Harder to describe but the movie didn't really capture the late 70s/early 80s for me, in the way something like The Black Phone did. The cars and the clothes were of that era, but the setting never felt organic.

Finally, and this is subjective I know, but to me the movie glorifies suicide. I just wasn't comfortable with that.

Disappointed because this is popping up on a lot of top 10 lists but just turned into a slog for me.

Just got back from Wonka. Enjoyed it a lot and it might be my personal favorite of the three Wonka films. It oddly feels more like a classic Roald Dahl story than the movies actually based on a Dahl book! Paul King has shown he has the magic touch yet again.
I agree. I was also surprised to find out a lot of the sets were real (and huge) and everything you saw people eat onscreen was, indeed, actual chocolate. They hired a chocolatier to create over 200 different designs and made thousands of chocolate treats (Some joked the cast kept requiring retakes to eat more!). Poor Gene Wilder had to munch on a wax cup LOL

Reactions: TheGentTrent
I agree. I was also surprised to find out a lot of the sets were real (and huge) and everything you saw people eat onscreen was, indeed, actual chocolate. They hired a chocolatier to create over 200 different designs and made thousands of chocolate treats (Some joked the cast kept requiring retakes to eat more!). Poor Gene Wilder had to munch on a wax cup LOL
If you go to Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in Google Earth around 2021-2022, you can actually see the main town set built behind the sound stages! It's very cool.
1704155202350.png

Last edited:
Well that didn’t take long.

This looks like the most C-movie quality of anything I think I’ve seen in a long while. And at the same time exactly what I expected once the first iteration of Mickey Mouse became public domain (especially after Blood and Honey).

I do think as more versions of Mickey hit public domain though, I can certainly see an actual good horror film in there somewhere. I’m really not sure what else there really is to do with the character that hasn’t already been done by Disney.

I think the really interesting characters that will be hitting public domain starts in the next 10-20 years. Superman hits public domain in 2034 for example. Tons to explore with him. Marvel characters start to hit a few years later.