Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
@PerceptiveCoot
Unfortunately, Space Fantasy will be closed during my visit (seems like it’s been closed since January 2023). I am thinking about doing Flying Dinosaur, but that ride might be a little intense.

For TDR, we ended up splurging on a vacation package, so we already have our premier passes for the top attractions. Coming from CA, we are likely skipping Toy Story or will rope drop but not a super high priority for us haha.
The XR ride that uses the Space Fantasy ride system is what I was referring to, Space Fantasy itself has effectively been seasonal or closed for years now.

This is the wait time graph for that ride from this Monday:
IMG_3387.png

Reactions: bedejay
@PerceptiveCoot
Oh yes, I think that would be the Demon Slayer ride. Hm might be best to rope drop that and while waiting in line, sign up for timed entry for SNW. Do you know if Harry Potter still requires a time entry?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Just assumed the Space Fantasy was closed, but this makes me feel a bit better regarding the list of closures.

@PerceptiveCoot
Do you know if Harry Potter still requires a time entry?
No. Or maybe if they do it's only during peak days. I haven't seen them doing it in years, certainly not since COVID.

Btw I wouldn't worry about the "no eating while walking thing". Nobody is going to care and you occasionally see Japanese people doing that. Also standing while eating is completely fine.

@BatCom thank you! That’s reassuring to hear haha. I just don’t want to be stepping on any toes.

Excited to make my way out there, can’t it come sooner?!?

Signage is up at Conan 4-D in the former T2 theater. Show starts this Friday.

Kind of wild to finally see signs of life at this theater after it's been left shuttered for 4 years.

There's been some promotional material as well. I assume Kaito, Ran, and Sonoko will be live action actors while Conan and Rei Furuya will be 4D elements.

EDIT: It seems like the rest of the Detective Conan offerings this year opened two weeks ago:

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesker69
I assume Kaito, Ran, and Sonoko will be live action actors while Conan and Rei Furuya will be 4D elements
Hmm... I don't think they operate these T2 overlays like T23D. I'm pretty sure it's just screen-based content only. In the past, during HHN they'd put the Grudge or the Ring (can't remember) as an attraction in there. I wish we had actual video of the experience(s)

Brb... gotta go get a pic with the dude in the baseball hat lol .....swoon..

Hmm... I don't think they operate these T2 overlays like T23D. I'm pretty sure it's just screen-based content only. In the past, during HHN they'd put the Grudge or the Ring (can't remember) as an attraction in there. I wish we had actual video of the experience(s)
There is a live action actor in the commercial.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

Brb... gotta go get a pic with the dude in the baseball hat lol .....swoon..

Unfortunately this is different as it’s a permanent attraction and not a temporary overlay

Somewhat sad to see such a well designed attraction now shoehorned into something else using all its infrastructure.

Unfortunately this is different as it’s a permanent attraction and not a temporary overlay

Somewhat sad to see such a well designed attraction now shoehorned into something else using all its infrastructure.
There is actually a lot of speculation online about whether Conan is really going to be permanent or not.

I thought the press release explicitly called it "permanent", but seems a lot of fans are not convinced it's staying long term.

I was under the impression that when it comes to the "Universal Cool" amime event, most if not all was just temporary.
The Conan stuff in Cool Japan this year is separate from the Conan 4-D show.

The press release for Conan 4-D even used the phrase "permanent installation" (常設).

But there are still fans on Twitter who think it's not permanent.

It's a shame T23D didn't get a proper send off. :broken_heart: Especially being the last one in existence.

At least USJ is putting the venue to use for something new & not letting it rot away in a defunct state. Personally, I would've rather seen Umbrella Corp take up residence in that location :devil:

First reviews are in. Saying the show looks temporary. I was told they didn’t add any elements to the theater. It does not use any animatronics or vehicles riding into the screen

That's a shame, maybe if it's popular they'll put more into it.

With Conan officially premiering today, below is the current status of closed/coming attractions at USJ:
  • SNW Doney Kong expansion (Spring 2024)
  • Jurassic Park major refurb (reopening early 2025)
  • Backdraft replacement (Villian Con? rumored 2025)
  • Spider-Man replacement (Pokemon? rumored 2026)