Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It didn't feel that rough when I rode it but I live here so things may be relative to what it's comparable too. I have only been on DLR's SM once in my life and it was years back so I don't recall a dramatic difference (I wasn't thinking to look for it either). As far as Pan goes, I see it like Everest. A ride with a consistent 45-70 minute wait should be last on the refurbishment line for no other reason than it's still satisfying people.

Oh! And it wasn't shown in the video: If it's "turnstile-free", what's keeping guests from walking through? I mean, there's obviously something.

Definitely no physical turnstiles.....

302529_10150410855903566_194340658565_8499465_228502242_n.jpg

315498_10150410947908566_194340658565_8499973_1444258612_n.jpg

AeJ3smVCIAAVurY.jpg

The Mickey RFID stickers

311815_10150411320448566_194340658565_8502399_47205699_n.jpg

389831_10150411159358566_194340658565_8501429_2013052691_n.jpg

I figured I'd put it here since it doesn't really need its own thread.

(12/2/11) The Disney Fantasy will feature a new Muppets Adventure Game on board, an interactive adventure quest inviting guests to solve “The Case of the Stolen Show”. Guests are given a map and a RFID game card, which they can hold up in front of various pieces of “Enchanted Art” on board which will come to life, as well as hunt down other props and clues throughout the ship. The game will feature several different possible endings as well as some randomized events, making the adventure play out a little differently each time. You can read a few more details about this adventure game as well as see other unique features coming to the Disney Fantasy over at http://dizfanatic.com/DCLfantasy.aspx

@DisneyProjects posted a picture of RFID scanners installed at the loading gates at Test Track:

http://twitpic.com/7qh3jm

Huh. Any idea as to what they're for, or if they're active yet?

And I still don't really understand the "no turnstile" thing. Don't theme parks need controlled funnels to allow guests in after they swipe their tickets? Do they just have guards standing by to make sure that no one slips by? It's just weird. I'm so used to the turnstiles.

Huh. Any idea as to what they're for, or if they're active yet?

And I still don't really understand the "no turnstile" thing. Don't theme parks need controlled funnels to allow guests in after they swipe their tickets? Do they just have guards standing by to make sure that no one slips by? It's just weird. I'm so used to the turnstiles.

I'm gonna assume it's either for the new Xpass thing or maybe a new Photopass kinda thing.

And I have NO idea how they plan on controlling that either.

From Screamscape

General Resort News - (12/13/11) The latest update over at JimHillMedia brings to light a new term to describe a new weapon in Disney’s closet that has been rumored for years, but could come to light in late 2012. Jim calls it the XPass… a new option for premium WDW vacation packages that would add in pre-planned FastPass options for attractions, reserved viewing areas for various shows and parades, and more. According to Jim, the new XPass will only be offered to guests saying at Disney’s top tier Deluxe Resorts at first, while they work out the kinks and integrate the concept into their already stacked to the brim tiered guests system. This kind of goes along with a previous rumor we had back on 10/31/11 where it was said that Disney management may be preparing to finally enforce the closing window time for FastPass guests, as now it seems obvious that FastPass guests will no longer the top tier once XPass comes into play.

So this is just Disney copying a play from Uni's playbook of giving better "front of the line" type access to on-site hotel guests?

Yup. But everyone will give Disney waaaay more crap for this than Universal ever received.

Yep. Because Disney has close to 40,000 on-site hotel rooms compared to Uni's 4,000. That means a lot more people with front of the line passes. So for those of us that don't have them, we will be standing in a stand-by line the never moves.

Yep. Because Disney has close to 40,000 on-site hotel rooms compared to Uni's 4,000. That means a lot more people with front of the line passes. So for those of us that don't have them, we will be standing in a stand-by line the never moves.

But that's 40,000 who won't be going for the Fastpasses that are left. It will be a huge problem for rides like Soarin', but otherwise I don't think it will be that bad. I would be surpised if guests were able to schedule more than a certain amount of passes.

This. The situations are completely different.

XPass is such a terrible idea.

I'm assuming they'll only allow a couple reserved times a day, as opposed to having unlimited express pass access all day long.

Ok, so let's do the math. Let's say you only get 3 XPasses per day per person (which would hardly make the program worth having).

(40K rooms) X (avg. 3 people per room) =120,000 people per day.

(120,000 people per day) X (3 XPasses per person) = 360,000 XPasses distributed per day.

Now tell me that having over a quarter of a million Super Dooper Fast Passes distribted before the gate opens isn't going to negatively effect day guests.

This perk really is different than EMHs. Since day guest don't have the option of being there since EMHs exist outside of normal operating hours. This XPass thing, by it's nature, creates a "Perfered Customer" class which will be taking up attraction capacity during regular operating hours. You can't give an advantage to one class without taking away from another. Otherwise it's not really an advantage.

"You no buy hotel room?!? BACK OF THE LINE!"

This seems like a system that would work well in Disneyland (we only have three hotels). Nobody stays at the Disneyland hotels because of how cheap it is to stay immediately across this street. This would actually entice people into their hotels.

However, at WDW, this seems like it could be a nightmare.

Ok, so let's do the math. Let's say you only get 3 XPasses per day per person (which would hardly make the program worth having).

(40K rooms) X (avg. 3 people per room) =120,000 people per day.

(120,000 people per day) X (3 XPasses per person) = 360,000 XPasses distributed per day.

Now tell me that having over a quarter of a million Super Dooper Fast Passes distribted before the gate opens isn't going to negatively effect day guests.

This perk really is different than EMHs. Since day guest don't have the option of being there since EMHs exist outside of normal operating hours. This XPass thing, by it's nature, creates a "Perfered Customer" class which will be taking up attraction capacity during regular operating hours. You can't give an advantage to one class without taking away from another. Otherwise it's not really an advantage.

"You no buy hotel room?!? BACK OF THE LINE!"
Thats my take on it as well.

Fox News (of all things) has an article has that goes into the details of what Disney has planned under the NextGen name.

According to Hill, one major initiative of NextGen focuses on what is being called an xPASS, which would allow guests to book rides weeks or months in advance. Here’s how Hill says it will work: Visitors planning their trip would go on the xPASS website and use the free service which allows you to reserve experiences, including ride times, exclusive meet-and-greets with Disney characters, even viewing spots for the nightly fireworks.

The xPASS system would also help to avoid lines at restaurants by ordering food in advance.

“This xPASS/NextGen effort is going to fundamentally change how people visit the Disney parks,” said Hill.

Currently, Disney’s line-skipping system called FastPass allows guests to book a time for an attraction, leave to do other things, and return at an allotted time. Last month, Disney began enforcing return times, which many Disney watchers saw as the first step to the implementation of the xPASS system.

Another expected aspect of the plan is the use of a wrist bands embedded with radio-frequency identification microchips, or RFID, that reads your identity and acts as your ticket. Disney is already experimenting with RFID technology, for example, at Epcot. But the the NextGen wrist band concept is expected to go further. It’s believed that guests would provide information -- such as their names, credit card information and favorite attractions -- ahead of their arrival. After they enter at the park, the RFID would interact with sensors deployed throughout Disney’s resorts and trigger interactive features. So for example, an attraction may greet you and your family and call you by name.

Some have raised questions about privacy and what type of information Disney may require, while others say late bookers may not have access to many of the more popular attractions.

But Scott Smith, a former Disney employee who now teaches theme park management at the University of Central Florida, told DisneyDispatch that NextGen's goal is to eliminate the wait time, streamline the experience for guests --and more importantly for Disney to make money.

“Disney is a business, bottom line driven, and what they want to do with the wrist bands is make it easier for resort guests to spend money. It's almost like a Club Med situation: it's easier for you to spend money if you don't actually have to take the cash out of your wallet. All you have to do is swipe your wrist,” says Smith.

While it is unclear when xPASS or other NextGen features will be unveiled (some say as early as 2013), some who follow Disney theme parks say it will completely change people's theme park experience.

Full article here: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/04/18/whole-new-world-for-whole-new-disney/

Not trying to be negative here but I truly hope the multi billion dollar excuse to squeeze my wallet even tighter without actually offering any real new attractions flops in there faces.

^It does seem that they're blowing all of their money on how to get you into rides, while not doing a damn thing to rides themselves or making new ones.