Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit

First they gotta figure out a way to make the wheels last longer than a month :thumbs:

So sad, but so true! :pound:

I've been on the other end of dealing with wheel issues on a coaster, and it can be difficult to find the right material blend. Add in weather factors (they have special winter wheels for the cooler months/days) and it gets worse. With the kind of extreme weather changes the area can see, it can really complicate wheel performance, and it isn't as simple as taking the wheel blend from Dragons or Hulk and slapping that on Rockit. I would think a fairly balanced nylon/poly-u blend would be a good catch-all wheel in Florida weather, but obviously not for Rockit.

Of course, some coasters just blow out wheels like they're a nickel slot jackpot. Nothing to do but change a wheel or two every day. :lol:

HTF, hit the nail on the head. The REAL problem with HRRR is the torque that the trains go through on the "inverted loop". That torque is causing uneven wear on the neoprene wheels. That uneven wear is causing undo vibration to the trains. That vibration is causing all the problems they are experiencing with this attraction.

This also. Sometimes I love getting into the details of ride systems. It can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
The lights on the cars are definitely one of my favorite features. I wish they would add LEDs to the other outdoor coasters in the resort. It'd make Hulk & Dragons look so much better, don't you guys think?

Hulk for sure! I would love getting some long exposure shots of the Hulk over the Lagoon. Dragons I would prefer darker almost, riding in the dark adds some mystic to it.

- - - Updated - - -

So sad, but so true! :pound:

I've been on the other end of dealing with wheel issues on a coaster, and it can be difficult to find the right material blend. Add in weather factors (they have special winter wheels for the cooler months/days) and it gets worse. With the kind of extreme weather changes the area can see, it can really complicate wheel performance, and it isn't as simple as taking the wheel blend from Dragons or Hulk and slapping that on Rockit. I would think a fairly balanced nylon/poly-u blend would be a good catch-all wheel in Florida weather, but obviously not for Rockit.

Of course, some coasters just blow out wheels like they're a nickel slot jackpot. Nothing to do but change a wheel or two every day. :lol:

How safe is it if you are riding and a wheel blows out?

On a coaster like Rockit, not too safe, probably. On the coaster I'm thinking of specifically, it isn't a full circuit coaster, so if it blows during the ride it will stop in the station. You know a wheel is going, though, there are several signs. It isn't too hard to spot it and get it changed. Also, if you can't see it, your riders will constantly tell you the ride sucked. Its like rolling a square along the ground, plus odd sounds.

Well after reading all the pages on this, it sounds to me like it would be a smoother ride with no wheels on certain trains!

Really can't wait to ride it, though there is a part of me that just knows I'll get a bad car on my first ride :/

Interesting to read about the technical issues causing wear & tear on the tires. Because we often go in early September, I've been fortunate to never have to wait in long lines for HRRR or experience a lot of technical delays. Other than noticing the loading of the trains taking forever, I always enjoy this ride quite a bit. I find it to be much smoother and more enjoyable than the Hulk. Hopefully they can work out the wheel issue soon! That is a bummer.

Would it be crazy to suggest that they remove the non-inverting loop and just put a bunny hill or something? I know it would hurt their pride (and maybe a bit of rep) to lose their "world's-first" element, but if it's the root of the ride's problems with the wheels and roughness... Is this element really what's the issue? and do you guys think it would be worth it to remove the loop and replace the track here? :shrug:

Since the TF thread got hijacked.. I figured why some people have problems with HRRR.

In a nutshell:

The Roughness
The Valleying
Themeing
Capacity
Poor Marketing aka Syd Vinyl
Too Many Cutbacks
No Change in Song Selection since inception (aka no Horror Nights tracks, Christmas, etc, yet they have it for RTU)
Some of the default songs are repetitive. (Stronger/Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger; Too much Black Eyed Peas; Crystal Method)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't be so shocked as to why others have a general disliking towards it.

The only thing that gets me is the banging. But even then, there are times that Ill come off and my head will be fine and Ill do it again. Can't really critique a coaster unless you've experienced both sides of it. I love this coaster, IMO.

I have a Russian Roulette relationship with it. Because I have experienced both sides of the ride it tends to cloud my judgement. Though I am a firm believer that one should only be forced to hear the word Hasta 32.4 times on an average wait.

I have a Russian Roulette relationship with it. Because I have experienced both sides of the ride it tends to cloud my judgement. Though I am a firm believer that one should only be forced to hear the word Hasta 32.4 times on an average wait.

Dear Lord words cannot describe.....:saw:

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this has been discussed, but is there any seat or car in particular that would make the ride more enjoyable? I'll be going to Universal this summer. I rode it with my family about two years ago and it was physically painful, which is sad because I really loved the ride layout.

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this has been discussed, but is there any seat or car in particular that would make the ride more enjoyable? I'll be going to Universal this summer. I rode it with my family about two years ago and it was physically painful, which is sad because I really loved the ride layout.

Car 4 seems to be one of the rougher ones. I personally lean forward so that I don't have my back and head against the seat. Leaning into the turns and dives changes the ride completely. Night and day in terms of roughness and enjoyability!

I haven't paid close attention, so not best to answer. In my cases, the very front has given the best ride. The normal rule of thumb is to not sit over an axle. So, look where the axles are and try to get in a row of the car that is most off-center to one.

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can control over the roughness. It's up to chance. You might get silk or you might get rock. No way to know until you're down the hill. Sorry I can't be of help :( The only advice would be to try to position your body in the most comfortable position you can if you get a bumpy ride.

EDIT:

I haven't paid close attention, so not best to answer. In my cases, the very front has given the best ride. The normal rule of thumb is to not sit over an axle. So, look where the axles are and try to get in a row of the car that is most off-center to one.

Good point about the front. If you can ask to wait and go in the front row, it might help. The back seems to be where you get the most whiplash on coasters, so yeah.

Last edited:
Would it be crazy to suggest that they remove the non-inverting loop and just put a bunny hill or something? I know it would hurt their pride (and maybe a bit of rep) to lose their "world's-first" element, but if it's the root of the ride's problems with the wheels and roughness... Is this element really what's the issue? and do you guys think it would be worth it to remove the loop and replace the track here? :shrug:

I was thinking the same although replace the non inverting loop for a more traditional teardrop loop. Would make sense as from what I read it is the current loop which is causing a lot of stress on the RVs. Would this even be possible? I can't see why not.

I was thinking the same although replace the non inverting loop for a more traditional teardrop loop. Would make sense as from what I read it is the current loop which is causing a lot of stress on the RVs. Would this even be possible? I can't see why not.

Absolutely possible, after all look at what was Son of Beast at Kings Island they removed its loop a few years before hey tore it out completely.....With rockit I'd be happy if the same thing happened :saw:

Absolutely possible, after all look at what was Son of Beast at Kings Island they removed its loop a few years before hey tore it out completely.....With rockit I'd be happy if the same thing happened :saw:

Hey BriMan, can we get a like button? Pretty please!