Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not. But I know there are a few shoot em ups using SD.

I like the idea of putting a dark ride shoot'em up in that area of Toon Lagoon. Would be a nice balance to the overall park. For JP, I still would like to see something that doesn't involve getting wet or needing 48"

Tampa/Orlando is my mecca for riding great B&Ms. There are a lot of ho-hum B&Ms across the country, but for some great reason not in Central Florida. I think each one is really a top coaster. So if Universal was to add another one, I wouldn't complain, and I would ride it nonstop. At this point I am hoping it is an intended leak to distract. Either way, I look at it as a win-win, I just want to see the JP island get a full makeover.

Teens/adults are only going to get them so far.

Yes but adding 1 or two kid rides isn't going to change that. I'm not against more dark rides so please don't interpret it that way. But I just think 1 kid ride won't change thigs and that if a hyper coaster is built it shows universal is embracing the image they have of a thrill park

I like how you say a coaster isn't family, yet you list a coaster in the "IoA already has enough family rides" list.:lol:

The fact is Universal Orlando resort as a whole needs more attractions for the under 48" crowd than more for the above crowd. Uni's never going to keep expanding their customer base without them.

There's the problem right there. Most people here are already in the customer base, so they could care less about appealing to anyone else. There's going to be some growing pains when seperating IoA from the "adult" park mentality. But it will be worth it in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but adding 1 or two kid rides isn't going to change that. I'm not against more dark rides so please don't interpret it that way. But I just think 1 kid ride won't change thigs and that if a hyper coaster is built it shows universal is embracing the image they have of a thrill park

Embracing the "thrill park" idea is what is keeping them behind in attendance. There's more families in Orlando than thrill seekers. And it will never be the thrill seeking meca that something like Cedar Point is so they have to play to audience already in town.

I like the ideal of USO/IOA being a teen/adult parks, and they should continue in that matter.

There is already a themepark down the road that caters very much to the 48" and under crowd.
Universal should be edgy and push the limit, especially with HHN.

I like the ideal of USO/IOA being a teen/adult parks, and they should continue in that matter.

There is already a themepark down the road that caters very much to the 48" and under crowd.
Universal should be edgy and push the limit, especially with HHN.

Exactly. Whether or not universal adds a kid ride will not change where they rank for attendance. The fact is WDW has enough land to build 10 universals and WDW has double the parks universal does. Adding a kid ride won't change that

Everyone realizes we're talking about Orlando right? Only so many adults care about theme parks enough to go to Orlando. There's too many Six Flags and others like it around the country to get a quick thrill. Orlando isn't the adult destination that something like Vegas will be. It isn't the coaster destination Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, or even Tampa is. Orlando is a family town, and always will be. That doesn't mean the 48" and under crowd that Disney has been catering to. That means EVERYONE in a family.

Universal is covering the "adults". Springfield, WWOHP, TF. The parks need to be more balanaced. Even if you're put off by family rides, the fact is the more people in a family attracted to a park the more often the go, and the more time and money they spend when they're there. Appealing to teens+ pinholes the company when they don't need to, and restricts profits. Bigger demographic means more guests means more money for Universal means more rides meaning we all win.

The whole family can enjoy WWOHP. Look at what that's done to the resort, compared to being a "teen/adult" park.

Reactions: Felipe
Everyone realizes we're talking about Orlando right? Only so many adults care about theme parks enough to go to Orlando. There's too many Six Flags and others like it around the country to get a quick thrill. Orlando isn't the adult destination that something like Vegas will be. It isn't the coaster destination Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, or even Tampa is. Orlando is a family town, and always will be. That doesn't mean the 48" and under crowd that Disney has been catering to. That means EVERYONE in a family.

Universal is covering the "adults". Springfield, WWOHP, TF. The parks need to be more balanaced. Even if you're put off by family rides, the fact is the more people in a family attracted to a park the more often the go, and the more time and money they spend when they're there. Appealing to teens+ pinholes the company when they don't need to, and restricts profits. Bigger demographic means more guests means more money for Universal means more rides meaning we all win.

The whole family can enjoy WWOHP. Look at what that's done to the resort, compared to being a "teen/adult" park.

Then I would argue that between their two parks they have plenty to appeal to families. ET, the kid zone, spider man, suesslanding, pop eye, despicable me, plus many more.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I would argue that between their two parks they have plenty to appeal to families. ET, the kid zone, spider man, suesslanding, pop eye, despicable me, plus many more.

Younger families can't ride Spiderman or Popeye.

But let us compare that to: Hulk, Dr. Doom, Spiderman, Popeye, Dudley, JPRA, FJ, DC, Mummy, MIB, Simpsons, Gringotts, TF, HRRR, and probably Disaster.

Right, but would u prefer it at 2 parks to be all catered to kids. They have a bit of everything..... Which IMO is the definition of family rides. They have rides that all members of a family like, maybe not all of them at one. Appealing to teens and adults is a smarter idea IMO cuz all kids eventually become teens and adults... Think about it this way, when Harry potter came out(books/films) it was for kids and teens. That main audience is now teens and adults. I see the need to have more family rides at universal. I actually like a family coaster/dark ride being added. I just don't feel that adding 1 kid ride is going to make universal appeal to more families and make then jump ship from WDW

UOR isnt baby park, but it isnt really the Teen/Thrill park that people make it out to be. There are plenty of things to do with kids above the age of 5. 5-8 are the ages children start reaching 48 inches. Btw, never take a 5 year old on JPRA... Worse Idea ever.

Right, but would u prefer it at 2 parks to be all catered to kids. They have a bit of everything..... Which IMO is the definition of family rides. They have rides that all members of a family like, maybe not all of them at one. Appealing to teens and adults is a smarter idea IMO cuz all kids eventually become teens and adults... Think about it this way, when Harry potter came out(books/films) it was for kids and teens. That main audience is now teens and adults. I see the need to have more family rides at universal. I actually like a family coaster/dark ride being added. I just don't feel that adding 1 kid ride is going to make universal appeal to more families and make then jump ship from WDW

You're misunderstanding the point of the opposition. It's not about adding "kids" rides. It's about adding a ride the whole family can, but more importantly, will want to ride all the time.

Do you know how Disney got to be where it's at today? It's because decades ago, parents took their kids on things like Pirates, and Haunted Mansion. They bonded, shared a magical experience, and created a memory that lasts forever. They couldn't wait to get home and tell other families about their experience. Then those kids grew up, and wanted to share that moment with their kids. That's how you build the strongest theme park brand in the world.

Nobody is saying 1 ride will tilt the scales, but you have to start somewhere.

Skip, Have you ridden the Scooby Doo boat/dark-ride shoot'em up at Six Flags St. Louis? If one could take that concept and bump up the execution level 3 notches, it would be a great ride with that license. For Six Flags St. Louis, it is a good ride today.

Hey, now! How do you know so much about my local Six Flags?? :wave: I will agree though, that would work out tremendously for them if they added something like that themed to JP. The Scooby ride ALWAYS has a long line.

You're misunderstanding the point of the opposition. It's not about adding "kids" rides. It's about adding a ride the whole family can, but more importantly, will want to ride all the time.

Do you know how Disney got to be where it's at today? It's because decades ago, parents took their kids on things like Pirates, and Haunted Mansion. They bonded, shared a magical experience, and created a memory that lasts forever. They couldn't wait to get home and tell other families about their experience. Then those kids grew up, and wanted to share that moment with their kids. That's how you build the strongest theme park brand in the world.

Nobody is saying 1 ride will tilt the scales, but you have to start somewhere.

No I understand that. But doesn't disney have a bit too much of those type of rides? I can't compare Disney and universal because they are different. I love both thought. And I agree with your general point they could use a family ride

For me, "Family" ride does not equal "Kids" ride.

Rides that are fun for adults, teens, AND 40" kids are what I think of when I think "Family" ride.

I'm talking about rides like Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaur, and Haunted Mansion NOT Barnstormer, Dumbo, and Pooh.

Universal already has plenty of thrills and I don't think it will ever be (nor does it want to be) a park for families of pre-schoolers. But I'd love to see a few more family rides that can be enjoyed by almost everyone together.

Hey, now! How do you know so much about my local Six Flags?? :wave: I will agree though, that would work out tremendously for them if they added something like that themed to JP. The Scooby ride ALWAYS has a long line.

Visited once on an across the midwest coaster trip. While the park takes flack from the locals, as a one-time visitor, I thought it was a nice, unique park. Appreciated that it was one of the original 3 Six Flags parks.

Depends on their target market, they are geared more for teens/adults, if they are targeting that market what do they need to cater to the under 48 inches crowd for?
Because the "other" destination theme park resort in town is bringing close to 20 million people to town and they are aggressively courting the young family demographic. While Universal is now thought of as mostly for teens/adults, getting a larger piece of Disney's 20 million is probably a good thing.

Teens/adults are only going to get them so far.

My dream is to have the Toon Lagoon theater area replaced with a Scooby-Doo haunted dark ride Omnimover. That is, as long as LOTR isn't taking over Toon Lagoon.

That's something i thought about too..I would not mind seeing that ride or something of the sort in place of that theater. The same theater that has nothing in it and just makes certain people walking by say..What's in there??

DINOSAUR is a family ride?

Last time I went on that, my mom came off crying, hahahaha.

That's sort of my point. "Family" rides don't have to be tame. They can be thrilling, fun, and even scary. Not everyone will love them but almost everyone is allowed to ride.

Not so with "hyper coasters" with 54" height restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.