Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 526 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they're repairing all the walkway lamp bases.
got one quick pic
agTfBuf.jpg

What lamps and lions heads? Don't forget Uni still thinks it's a secret :shrug:

:lol: no they don't. At this point marketing, creative, etc. all realize it's a well known secret.

The people it's a secret from are the people who plan vacations, the big spenders, and they want to keep it that way for the time being. The average family doesn't know what's going on until an announcement happens, and even then might be oblivious.

Just wondering about announcements and timings and so on...

Cast your minds back to WWOHP... The official announcement was made on 31st May 2007 (according to Wikipedia), and the land opened 3 years and a couple of weeks later. Can anyone remember if there was any construction prior to the official announcement? I think this predates Orlando United's days, but I'm sure all you guys were avid followers of the park, it's news and progress at that time anyway.

Cast your minds back to WWOHP... The official announcement was made on 31st May 2007 (according to Wikipedia), and the land opened 3 years and a couple of weeks later. Can anyone remember if there was any construction prior to the official announcement? I think this predates Orlando United's days, but I'm sure all you guys were avid followers of the park, it's news and progress at that time anyway.

It had probably land prepping going on, but nothing significant.

All you need to know is that in April 2009, Hogsmeade was less complete than Diagon Alley is now :wave:

From BriMan on 4/7/09
http://www.brianorndorf.com/2009/04/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-construction-update-4709.html

BriMan again on 5/5/09
http://www.brianorndorf.com/2009/05/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-construction-update-5509.html

From the Sentinel on July 1, 2009

47884543.jpg

Oddly enough, Hagrids Hut was already complete by this point in 2009.

Last edited:

Nothing was done prior to the announcement and no ground work started until October of 2007

Interesting. You've gotta wonder why no announcement so far then. I'm not sure I buy the argument that they don't want potential vacationers to postpone their plans in order to encompass the new section. If they are so busy it's funding such massive inward investment, surely they can't imagine announcing a new HP section would cause such a dent in gate money it could cause them financial problems. But then, I'm no expert in such matters and I bow to the far superior knowledge of many regulars on these boards.

All you need to know is that in April 2009, Hogsmeade was less complete than Diagon Alley is now :wave:

From BriMan on 4/7/09
http://www.brianorndorf.com/2009/04/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-construction-update-4709.html

BriMan again on 5/5/09
http://www.brianorndorf.com/2009/05/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-construction-update-5509.html

From the Sentinel on July 1, 2009

47884543.jpg

Oddly enough, Hagrids Hut was already complete by this point in 2009.
This is eye opening. I wasnt around for phase 1 and clearly phase 2 looks much further ahead

Last edited:
The only reason it's being held back is the guaranteed loss of AP sales that would ensue. Universal learned that lesson dearly during Phase 1 :thumbs:

Can someone give me the estimated drop in AP's Universal experienced before Potter? I know someone here knows because its already been said around here somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike way to go! :lol: Answering my question before I even asked! That sounds right:thumbs:

The only reason it's being held back is the guaranteed loss of AP sales that would ensue. Universal learned that lesson dearly during Phase 1 :thumbs:

That's true, although I have a feeling Transformers would have prevented a lot of people dumping their AP for a year anyways. Technically shouldn't the AP's be the ones who realize Potter is coming?

DSC07048.jpg

I think this is cool for comparisons sake, since SDMT is coming early 2014, and HP was scheduled for early 2015, it should be roughly at the same stage that SDMT was last April (above).

But ya... there is no arguing the London project is currently well ahead and definitely Gringotts, which has been at a further stage than this for ages!

I think this is cool for comparisons sake, since SDMT is coming early 2014, and HP was scheduled for early 2015, it should be roughly at the same stage that SDMT was last April (above).

Disney has been slower than a sloth with the Fantasyland project. Comparing them won't tell you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.